Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Technically a given category of insurance policy is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Technically a given category of insurance policy is [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 16:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Technically a given category of insurance policy is underpriced if, over time, claims against it plus expenses associated with it exceed total income from premiums. But premium income can be invested and will then yield returns of its own. Therefore, an underpriced policy does not represent a net loss in every case.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) No insurance policies are deliberately underpriced in order to attract customers to the insurance company offering such policies.
(B) A policy that represents a net loss to the insurance company is not an underpriced policy in every case.
(C) There are policies for which the level of claims per year can be predicted with great accuracy before premiums are set.
(D) The income earned by investing premium income is the most important determinant of an insurance company’s profits.
(E) The claims against at least some underpriced policies do not require paying out all of the premium income from those policies as soon as it is earned.

Cheers, Rahul.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 18:00
Between B and D, I'll take B. The conclusion says not all underpriced policies represent a net loss. B says that a policy that represents a net loss to the insurance company is not an underpriced policy in every case. So the conclusion holds.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 20:50
I don't know what to choose b/w B & D
B - It seems to just restate the conclusion :?:
D - Says income earned from invested premium is the most important factor :!: :?:

OA & OE Please!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 00:19
go E go....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 19:44
Rahul, Can you post the OA & OE for this please.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 20:11
I take E cause it assumes that the insurance company holds onto the premium for atleast some time (long enuf for it to earn interest) before it has to shell it back out to some guy who just got shot in his ass?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 20:15
D goes way too far by making the extreme assumption that interest income is the most important determinant of insurance companies profits.

B is a safe choice because it conservatively assumes that such underpriced policies don`t always result in a net loss.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2005, 15:25
I will pick D.

OA please.

hey ya......

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2005, 20:03
Certainly E on this one!!!
The point of the argument is even if the claims and expense are much more than the premiums, the interest from the premiums would offset the losses. This is based on the assumption that the premiums will have time to accrue some interest.
But, if the claims start coming in as soon as the policies are issued, then there is no time, therefore no interest, therefore, net loss!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 04:30
anyone aware of OA...i go for D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 05:12
Dont take this for granted but I think OA is E, because I remember doing this question before...

it is exactly how anandsebastin explained it. An insurance policy can only offset the losses for the claims, and thus not represent a net loss, if the premiums paid by the insured can be invested to earn some income. If you directly have to pay out all premiuns for claims made by others, then you got no chance to earn interest...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 05:59
nero44 wrote:
Dont take this for granted but I think OA is E, because I remember doing this question before...

it is exactly how anandsebastin explained it. An insurance policy can only offset the losses for the claims, and thus not represent a net loss, if the premiums paid by the insured can be invested to earn some income. If you directly have to pay out all premiuns for claims made by others, then you got no chance to earn interest...

I've seen this before and the answer was (E).

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 10:28
Clearly E for me. If the premium can not be invested (as it is stated in E), then the argument doesn't make any sense.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 18:11
E.

If whatever comes goes out immediately then what would you invest? No investment no earnings.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Underpriced policy [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 18:41
Principle: An insurance policy is underpriced if costs exceed total income from premiums.
Fact: Primiums can be invested and earn returns.
Conclusion: An underpriced policy may not be a net loss.

Ask for assumption.

The conclusion that underpriced policy may not be a net loss is based on the fact that you could invest the premium, thus it assumes that you would have enough premiums to invest.

(A) No insurance policies are deliberately underpriced in order to attract customers to the insurance company offering such policies.
Irrelevant.

(B) A policy that represents a net loss to the insurance company is not an underpriced policy in every case.
We don't know. We know he said every A is not B. But he didn't say every B is not A.

(C) There are policies for which the level of claims per year can be predicted with great accuracy before premiums are set.
That's not the point. You could do the balance sheet afterwards and find if a policy is underpriced or what. And you can also determine if it is a net loss after some time. You don't need to assume the accuracy of prediction ahead of time to determine both concepts.

(D) The income earned by investing premium income is the most important determinant of an insurance company’s profits.
It's not discussed at all. Irrelevant.

(E) The claims against at least some underpriced policies do not require paying out all of the premium income from those policies as soon as it is earned.
Correct.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 01:26
E for me
  [#permalink] 24 Oct 2005, 01:26