Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [102]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [26]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [9]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Technological education is worsening. People between eighteen and [#permalink]
B IMO.
I narrowed the choices down to A & B.

A is also more of a premise or an inference from the last sentence.
C --> lets not make it complicated by bringing in prospective voters etc. We are talking about technology education in context to the public referenda, lets have the conclusion pointing to education.
D is out of scope
E is more or less a premise.

What is the OA....Plz post the OA along with the questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Technological education is worsening. People between eighteen and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I would definitely choose A.

B is not correct. Its a trick answer. Given the passage alone, the proper conclusion is not that the only way to solve the problem is to teach technology better in school. There is no wording indicating this. It does suggest that technological issues are not taught well in school, but, again, this does not suggest that school is the only way to fix the problem.

A more properly gives the conclusion. Take for example the argument break down;

Technology education is getting worse.

Student coming out of school are more likely to be bad with technology than older adults.

Public referenda will involve technological issues.

Therefore, if all young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology.

Notice that this is much more broad than B and better encompasses the information from the passage.

Could you please confirm the OA?

Hope that helps,

Jared
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi,I have an issue with option A. The reason I eliminated it was because it uses "all" and then "most." How can all young people vote diligently, if only most are technologically educated?

Am I thinking along the wrong lines??

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Technological education is worsening. People between eighteen and twenty-four, who are just emerging from their formal education, are more likely to be technologically illiterate than somewhat older adults. And yet, issues for public referenda will increasingly involve aspects of technology.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

(A) If all young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology.
Only this point talks about inadequacy in learning.

(B) Thorough studies of technological issues and innovations should be made a required part of the public and private school curriculum.

OSP

(C) It should be suggested that prospective voters attend applied science courses in order to acquire a minimal competency in technical matters.

OSP

(D) If young people are not to be overly influenced by famous technocrats, they must increase their knowledge of pure science.

OSP

(E) On public referenda issues, young people tend to confuse real or probable technologies with impossible ideals.

OSP
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gauranggarg wrote:
Hi,I have an issue with option A. The reason I eliminated it was because it uses "all" and then "most." How can all young people vote diligently, if only most are technologically educated?

Am I thinking along the wrong lines??

Posted from my mobile device

Hi….

Let’s take an example:

Say there are 100 students in a class.
In the context of GMAT CR:

“All” students would mean all 100.

“Most” students would mean any number between 51 to 100. (“most” means more than 50% and upto 100%)

Thus, “most” could mean all.

However, choice A does not have “most”. It talks about “many”.

“Many” in GMAT CR refers to more than 3- 4 and could mean “all”.

Thus, “many” is a part of “all”.

For more on the implication of quantifiers such as “all”, “most”, “some”, etc click on the link below:

https://blog.gmatwhiz.com/2020/01/15/qu ... most-some/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Tricky !!!!!!!!
Young people dont know much about technology , increasingly the public referenda includes issues regarding technology.

(A) If all young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology. Many of all will need to take effort. Makes sens hold.

(B) Thorough studies of technological issues and innovations should be made a required part of the public and private school curriculum. SO ???????? Out

(C) It should be suggested that prospective voters attend applied science courses in order to acquire a minimal competency in technical matters. Who will suggest .. how is this relevant ???? Also its not about young people not able to vote because they dont know how to use the machines/technology . The argument says ASPECTS oftechnology not application of technology on voting. Out

(D) If young people are not to be overly influenced by famous technocrats, they must increase their knowledge of pure science. Who ? Elon Musk ? What year is it ? Out

(E) On public referenda issues, young people tend to confuse real or probable technologies with impossible ideals. We cant know that y the argument. What if the young people are amish and they have never been exposed to technology , then this will work ortherwise ??? lol doesnt make sense. Out

A seems best.
Lesson : Extreme options are not always wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Technological education is worsening. People between eighteen and [#permalink]
Are we sure that this is an official GMAT problem? Something bothers me about this Inference question….

Clearly, the best answer is A. “Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn” suggests we are looking for a pretty solid inference, if not a 100% must-be-true type inference.

Although there exists support for answer A in the passage, it would be problematic to say that A would be “properly drawn.”

Younger people are MORE LIKELY to be technologically illiterate than somewhat older adults.

Issues for public referenda will increasingly involve aspects of technology.

A is the properly drawn conclusion: If ALL young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology.

The logical fallacy in this line of reasoning is using relative/proportional values to makes a conclusion involving a number or value.

For all we know, both groups are very technologically literate. The somewhat older group has a technological literacy rate of 95%. The younger, 18 to 24 group has a technological literacy rate of 90%.

Is the younger group of people, who are just emerging from their education, more likely to be technologically illiterate? YES

However, could we say that if ALL these young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda (assuming that most public referenda will include aspects of technology), that MANY of them must learn more about technology? NO - 90% are technologically literate.

In other words, just because group A is more likely than group B to have characteristic X

——> does NOT necessarily mean that group A will have a GREAT NUMBER of people who have characteristic X.

Is A the best answer? By far.

Can we say that the conclusion provided by A can be “properly drawn” from the statements provided? I’m not sure….

ykaiim wrote:

Technological education is worsening. People between eighteen and twenty-four, who are just emerging from their formal education, are more likely to be technologically illiterate than somewhat older adults. And yet, issues for public referenda will increasingly involve aspects of technology.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

(A) If all young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology.

(B) Thorough studies of technological issues and innovations should be made a required part of the public and private school curriculum.

(C) It should be suggested that prospective voters attend applied science courses in order to acquire a minimal competency in technical matters.

(D) If young people are not to be overly influenced by famous technocrats, they must increase their knowledge of pure science.

(E) On public referenda issues, young people tend to confuse real or probable technologies with impossible ideals.

Posted from my mobile device­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
papillon86 wrote:
B IMO.
I narrowed the choices down to A & B.

A is also more of a premise or an inference from the last sentence.
C --> lets not make it complicated by bringing in prospective voters etc. We are talking about technology education in context to the public referenda, lets have the conclusion pointing to education.
D is out of scope
E is more or less a premise.

What is the OA....Plz post the OA along with the questions.

Nope, B is way too extreme. You cannot reach such conclusion with given information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Guys isn't A too strong. We are talking about a particular group of young people within a certain age and the answer states 'All'. I feel the conclusion is too extreme. Also, it indicates the word 'Should' learn technology. The premise says that "issues for public referenda will increasingly involve aspects of technology".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
nedunurianurag wrote:
Guys isn't A too strong. We are talking about a particular group of young people within a certain age and the answer states 'All'. I feel the conclusion is too extreme. Also, it indicates the word 'Should' learn technology. The premise says that "issues for public referenda will increasingly involve aspects of technology".

Right after the "yet," we need a conclusion. Education on tech is so bad that young people are kind of tech illiterate. So if young people are to participate referenda, which involves more and more tech, hence A is the winner.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
@KarishamB ,
I marked A because it relates training with illiteracy, but I still find E as a very good option. Can you pls help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
A weird question in my opinion A is definitely the best pick of the lot
If all young people are to make informed decisions on public referenda, many of them must learn more about technology.
many of them - can be 100% of the people
all young people - is 100% of the people
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Please advise why Option B is incorrect

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
@KittyDoodles
KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts,

Please advise why Option B is incorrect

Thanks

­(Not a expert answer) it's simple to observe that the population band is technologically illiterate ( they don't need to become technology experts by throughly studing technology )

B. Thorough studies of technological issues and innovations should be made a required part of the public and private school curriculum.

The population between the particular age is likely to be illeterate ( means more people are illterate, so for all people to be involved actively in public referendum a lot of people must know a decent level of tech ) A  Correct­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts