Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 18:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 21:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have made converting solar energy directly into electricity far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for solar power (that is, the price per barrel to which oil would have to rise in order for new solar power plants to be more economical than new oil-fired power plants) is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.

Which of the following, if true, does most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of solar power has not decreased its threshold of economic viability?

(A) The cost of oil has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of solar-power equipment has occurred despite increased raw material costs for that equipment.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of oil-fired power plants.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-tired, power plants.
(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Posts: 105
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 22:07
reply2spg wrote:
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have made converting solar energy directly into electricity far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for solar power (that is, the price per barrel to which oil would have to rise in order for new solar power plants to be more economical than new oil-fired power plants) is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.

Which of the following, if true, does most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of solar power has not decreased its threshold of economic viability?

(A) The cost of oil has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of solar-power equipment has occurred despite increased raw material costs for that equipment.
Out of scope.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of oil-fired power plants.
Hold it.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-tired, power plants.
Doesn't make any difference to the argument here.

(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.
Yes, but but doen't really explain why the price of oil might differ for this reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 319
Location: Hungary
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 03:05
I went for C.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 03:48
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 735
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 05:31
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?


IMO, A is wrong because 'the threshold of economic viability for solar power is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.'
if threshold is unchanged, something other than drop in price of oil should have happened.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 432
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 08:10
I'll still go with A

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 08:57
yes that is a valid point
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?


IMO, A is wrong because 'the threshold of economic viability for solar power is unchanged at thirty-five dollars.'
if threshold is unchanged, something other than drop in price of oil should have happened.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 243
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Technological improvements [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 09:26
ritula wrote:
my choice is C though I dnt find any reason to reject A. Can sum 1 throw light on this?



The threshold of economic viability is 35 dollars; this is true regardless of whether oil prices rise or fall. The oil prices have to rise above 35 dollars for solar to become economically viable regardless of the improvement in efficiency of solar as a technology.

I eliminated all the other choices and went for C.

A is not valid since the price of oil is one thing but it does not impact the threshold mentioned in the question statement.
_________________

-----------------------
tusharvk

Re: CR: Technological improvements   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2009, 09:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have amansingla4 4 25 Jun 2006, 00:59
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have cool_jonny009 11 16 Feb 2006, 20:28
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have kimmyg 6 13 Sep 2005, 04:33
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have Questor 3 15 Dec 2004, 17:49
Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have ruhi 5 04 Nov 2004, 05:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Technological improvements and reduced equipment costs have

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.