Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Technological improvements have made electric cars

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 22:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

58% (02:06) correct 42% (01:30) wrong based on 97 sessions
Guys! this question took me 02 minutes 14 seconds and I am not sure whether I am right or not as I just guessed or may be couldn't concentrate because of noise outside my flat err.
Please! explain.....
Technological improvements have made electric cars far more cost-efficient in the last decade. However, the threshold of economic viability for electric cars (that is, the cost of running an electric car compared to a gasoline powered car) has remained unchanged.
Which of the following, if true, does... most to help explain why the increased cost-efficiency of electric cars has not decreased its threshold of economic viability?
(A) The cost of manufacturing gasoline-powered cars has fallen dramatically.
(B) The reduction in the cost of manufacturing electric cars has occurred despite increased raw material costs for those cars.
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of gasoline-powered cars.
(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-fired, power plants.
(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

I'll post OA when OA is posted by on the original post on Facebook (posted by Andrea on The Daily Gmat group)

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Last edited by AtifS on 09 Mar 2010, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 23:07
I like to go for C as A seems to be irrelevant for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 23:55
angel2009 wrote:
I like to go for C as A seems to be irrelevant for me

Hmm! Actually I was also confused between A & C. But I think it's A because we are talking about economy in terms of cost, like even if efficiency of gasoline-powered cars has increased but it doesn't mean (or we are not sure) whether their costs have been increased or decreased so can't say whether it'll affect economy. in case of A if cost for gasoline-powered cars is dramatically decreased then it means there isn't such difference between costs of gasoline-powered & electric cars and that's why improvement in electric cars isn't essentially gonna change or improve economy that much.
Hope I explained clearly ( forgive me if don't get the point as I am not native English speaking)
Would love to see more explanations.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
Kudos??

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 21:57
IMO, it is C
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 01:37
One more for C.

Question is asking for the reason ==> why the cost of running an electric car compared to a gasoline powered car remains unchanged?

It's logical that efficiency of gasoline-powered cars has increased as well.

GMAT Club Error Log V3.0 - with Timer
GMAT Club Error Log
Spoilt Error Log V0.0.9 - with Timer
Awesome Error Log - By Spoilt and Trianglock

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 01:50
The discrepancy that has to be explained centres around the economic viability of electric cars and the cost of manufacturing a fuel-driven car is irrelevant to it.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 02:48
IMHO C
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, HBS, LSB, Johnson

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 03:29
I will go for C. I was confused between C & E. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:36
Guys! will post OA as soon as I get it.

Target=780
Kudos??

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 11

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 19:10
C for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 00:55
Guys! OA is posted reveal spoiler to see OA.
@alexBLR, man echo some explanation, that would be really appreciable.

Target=780
Kudos??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 08:57
As the stimulus clearly states the comparison of costs, and as it also mentions improvement in technology in electric cars.

The only way to prove it will be to increase the eficiency of gasoline powered vehicle.

I vote for C

Gonna make it this time

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
it is not the manufacturing cost which is in question here...this choice (A) is a trap. It is the COST OF RUNNING which is in question (in fact the question stem clearly specifies it ... economic viability is cost of running electric car compared to gasoline). Now argument says - electric cars have become more efficient (though not necessarily cheaper). What can explain the lack of decrease of threshold? A corresponding increase in gasoline car efficiency alone will do that.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 19:43
C
Even though there is reduction in costs of electric cars, there is also similar reduction of running cost of gasoline based cars therefore the effectiveness bench mark has also reduced
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:18
C for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
C over A. With A, manufacturing costs might be down but you're not sure what costs the consumer is facing.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 09:27
Fell for A but C is definitely a better choice

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 01:53
i will go with C
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:31
However, the threshold of economic viability for electric cars (that is, the cost of running an electric car compared to a gasoline powered car) has remained unchanged.
Here it is telling about the running cost(efficiency) of car

(A) The cost of manufacturing gasoline-powered cars has fallen dramatically. Question is not asking anything about manufacturing

(B) The reduction in the cost of manufacturing electric cars has occurred despite increased raw material costs for those cars.Question is not asking anything about manufacturing
(C) Technological changes have increased the efficiency of gasoline-powered cars.Here it is telling about efficiency and that too about the increased efficiency of the Gasoline car and in other way explaining the reason too.

(D) Most electricity is generated by coal-fired or nuclear, rather than oil-fired, power plants. Nothing related to the question.

(E) When the price of oil increases, reserves of oil not previously worth exploiting become economically viable.Nothing related to the question.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:51
RGM wrote:
C over A. With A, manufacturing costs might be down but you're not sure what costs the consumer is facing.

I think thats the most crisp reasoning as to why A should not be the answer. And more over the even the text in bracket highlights that the questions revolves around operating efficiency.

-AD

Re: Technological improvements have made electric cars   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2010, 10:51