Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Technology Careers for MBAs [#permalink]
Thanks Kryzak. +1 for this useful information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
GMAT 2: 650 GMAT 3: 730
Send PM
hey all,

please find a link below to know about the leadership/rotational programs available at tech companies. It includes firms from other sectors too. I stumbled on it today and thought of sharing with you all:

https://globthink.com/2009/10/04/rotatio ... s-for-mba/

-time4writingapplications:)
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
time4mba wrote:
hey all,

please find a link below to know about the leadership/rotational programs available at tech companies. It includes firms from other sectors too. I stumbled on it today and thought of sharing with you all:

https://globthink.com/2009/10/04/rotatio ... s-for-mba/

-time4writingapplications:)

Thanks time4mba.

Could someone please explain about these programs? Are they offered as full time job post MBA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I am interested in product development for technology driven products & work for companies like Ideo. A program like Management innovation & product development.

Could someone throw some light on such careers & recruitments ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
I have some questions.

Why do you need an MBA to continue as a PM in a Tech Company to another technology role in a technology company.

Would the Adcom not find it weird that you want to do an MBA to move say from a programmer to a PM or a PM to a some other role in the same field.

I mean it would make sense to say you want an MBA to switch from a Tech role to some Business Development role in a Tech company, but even that would be hard to justify.

Thank you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I didn't look into the mobile areas, but Samsung recruited heavily at Haas and took two people full time to do a 2 year rotational leadership program in their global strategy group.

They will work 1 year in Korea to learn the ropes, and then one year moving around the world to help Samsung's global offices. I suspect Nokia will have something like that.
Samsung is actually pretty decentralized. Every Samsung group operates as a separate business unit. Samsung GSG program is actually a consulting gig. If you are interested in mobile, Samsung Telecommunications (not to be confused with Samsung Electronics) is the group you need to look at. However, Samsung Telecommunications' MBA recruitting is fairly new, probably started last year, so the internship/full-time job is very unstructured. The bulk of the opportunity is in Dallas area, and the job provides excellent work/life balance. The downside is the pay/responsibility is not on-par with typical top-tier MBA jobs. This may change as the program becomes more developed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Having no tech background and no work experience in tech:

By far the toughest route, but not impossible.

I fall into the above category and am in need of some keen advice. I live, breathe, eat, and love tech--and want to make a career in it. My goal is to make a transition into a Product Management role at a tech company (and to ultimately, after enough experience, begin a tech start-up of my own).

However, I have ZERO tech background. I went from B.A. in Business Administration straight into marketing internship @ a residential contractor>then to a small e-business (sold pet supplies to consumers via the web)>to paper pushing at WELLS FARGO>and finally to real estate investment/sales (more or less speculation, actually) at a very small firm--where I currently work (at age 27).

TWO questions:

(1) Specifically, would my e-commerce experience count as "tech" experience? It was online-retail but I wasn't coding the website or anything. I was doing a little of everything; from customer relations, to order tracking, to monitoring supplies, to monitoring the website (and calling the host if it went down), to ordering products....to maintaining product pipelines, etc.

And (2) If I fail to be admitted into an MBA program this year, I will want to strengthen my application for next year by building real solid tech industry experience in the interim. Given my background, where and how can I begin to get tech experience? I really have no idea where to start searching. I know my prospects are probably quite low.

(My tech interests, if it helps you, are more on the hardware side; broadly-speaking I'm interested in the holistic design-process and implementation of a tech product. As far as industry, I'd (ultimately) love to do this wort of work at a consumer electronics manufacturer such as LG, SONY, SAMSUNG, SANYO, etc., and/or any tech company of any size doing this type of work.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
ton of info.. amazing structure.. thanks guys..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
kryzak or others,

can you shed light on the inroads possibilities into tech that an MBA from Anderson or Marshall would have in CA, and specifically the valley? In case, Haas does not work out for me.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Excellent. Very Insightful. Thanks for sharing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
very inspiring and informative discussion! Thanks everybody for such substantial contributions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hello all,
guys are you still here, how is going? what's new?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks kryzak and top4mba for such useful posts. KUDOS to both of you.

Though this forum has not been active for some time but i will still give it a try. :idea:

I had so many questions in my mind and most of them you both have clearly answered so i will very crisp in the remaining ones.

Regarding Career Options:

Though, i have a degree in Mech Engg from one of the finest institutes in India, but i have been a developer or IT technical consultant for 4 years and now i am in the more of in the IT functional role in the implementations. The reason i am looking for an MBA is i do not want to be only in the technical role for most part of life but would like to work in Tech industry on a more strategic role as i have been always interested in computers and technology and i know that i can understand tech stuff pretty well.

Now, the kind of role i see myself in is somewhere B2B services (enterprise IT) or products company where
- i can actually act as a channel between the customers/Business and IT.
- Where I can actually take decision to implement certain strategies such as products or services as it will enable my company to be a front runner.

Let me take a couple of cases:

1. In a services/domain (manufacturing/healthcare) company, i would want to decide which product should we be implemented which gives a long term technical edge and we can save on the Opex (I believe CIOs work on this, if it is so, i would like to know the career path for the same).
2. In a product company, i would like to be at position of deciding which product our company is making next and what should be our strategic direction in long term.(for example, i if am in Oracle, i should be telling Larry Ellison that we should be working the tools that should make analytics easier for our customers.)

Regarding College and curriculum Aspect
I see that kryzak, you have said that curriculum does not play a bigger role that location and companies coming to recruit.
When I am looking for some good Tech courses, I stumbled on a Stern’s course “Management of Technology and Operations” which seems a pretty aligned to my needs but
a. When I checked placement stats of Stern I see that only 1% go Tech Industry and 21% in Consulting. So Does Consulting role includes IT consulting as well but not in Tech Companies?
b. Also, I did a quick research on LinkedIn and saw that only around 10% of Stern Graduates are present in Bay Area(rest in NYC), where I would like to work (and hence Haas and Anderson are my top bets but highly competitive for my profile)
c. I am also looking for Canada [read Rotman and Schulich] as an option where top tech companies come and recruit but again on LinkedIn I saw that most of the people stay in Toronto and very few make it to Bay Area(around 2-3%). Does Visa issues make it so difficult?

Please do let me know if you think, I need correction in my direction big time because of all the confusion.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts