Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 07:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:17) correct 37% (01:42) wrong based on 147 sessions
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A. Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.

B. Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.

C. Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons.

D. The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970's than it did in the 1960's.

E. The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.

OA later after discussion..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 08:12
I'd go for C on this one. A and B actually strengthen the argument, since teenage unemployment rose in two situations opposed to the one suggested in the argument. D has nothing to do with the argument, it's just statistical stuff. E I feel is also of little interest, since some decreases will not override the general trend.

C weakens the statement by saying that even though there is no subminimum wage, employers will still hire extra help when teenagers are available to offer it (during the summer holidays).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 09:33
DanaJ wrote:
I'd go for C on this one. A and B actually strengthen the argument, since teenage unemployment rose in two situations opposed to the one suggested in the argument. D has nothing to do with the argument, it's just statistical stuff. E I feel is also of little interest, since some decreases will not override the general trend.

C weakens the statement by saying that even though there is no subminimum wage, employers will still hire extra help when teenagers are available to offer it (during the summer holidays).

IMO B, the conclusion says
if subminimum wage instituted, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.

B says that teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant this undermines the conclusion

C since employers hire extra help when teenagers are available will increase teenage unemployment, but the conclusion is institution of subminimum wage restricts unemployment rate from increasing, C is not addressing anything about subminimum wage
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 13:38
Agree with B.
Argument says teenage unemployment rate won't increase if subminimum wage is instituted.
Choice B clearly weakens it.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
would go with B, as it shows that there is no direct connection between the change in unemployment rate with the minimum wage...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 06:15
OA: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 03:56
Danaj,
I don't see how B strengthens at all.
C is off scope.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 22:24
Tricky one..
I had B and E in mind.

E because, if there were some declines then there were 'other' factors that brought the decline and hence subminimum wage is not necessary for preventing the increase in unemployment rate, however, the argument is not concerned about whether subminimum wage is necessary or not. If it was something like "hence subminimum wage is the ONLY solution to...." then I would have chosen E.

B is only the only left..I don't think B completely weakens the argument..however it is the best choice left.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:06
I am still not convinced with choice B. It states that even though the minimum wage is constant the unemployment rate is increasing. This is what should be. Since the minimum wage is still high for the employers they do not want to hire teenagers and hence the unemployment rate is rising each year. The choice nowhere talks about sub-minimum wage.

I chose E because it indicates that besides the minumum wage there are some other factors too that cause the employment rate to vary. Hence the solution about sub-minimum wage will not be the correct solution.

Any pointers?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 6

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 13:03
It is B.

The argument says that teenage unemployment rate is rising because of the rise in minimum wages.

Option (B) says....the teenage unemmployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant. Which means the rising teenage unemployment rate has nothing to do with minimum wages.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 01:57
conclusion: sub-minimum wage will stop the increase of the teen unemployment.
The correct answer has to undermine this conclusion. It has to show that wage does not cause/relate to the increase in teen unemployment. Therefore B
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 13:04
why is casual relationship being considered in the conclusion?
the use of "if" makes it conditional statement
conclusion is (institution of lower wage) ---> (unemployment rate for teenage will not increase)
(B) says minimum wage(which could be equal to subminimum wage)is constant still unemployment rate increased
-weakens the conclusion-correct
(A)min wage risen --> unemployment rate risen
=> unemployment rate not risen -->min wage not risen (mistaken reversal of the conclusion)
Attacking mistaken reversal of the conclusion does not hurt the conclusion
(c) no effect
(D) the argument makes a conditional statement (uses if). It could also be the case that subminimum wages had not been instituted and the unemployment rate increased –wont weaken the conclusion
(E)no effect- occasionally declined but it would have remained constant otherwise

correct me if my reasoning is incorrect
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
C, D and E can be easily eliminated and we remain to chose between A and B.

A. Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.
-- This will infact strengthen the argument. There might be possibility that if the minimum wage kept constant, unemployment can be reduced. Hence A is not a correct option.

B. Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
-- This is a correct answer choice. If this is true, it shows the minimum wage has no direct correlation with the unemployment. Hence even if the minimum wage is reduced to new lower lever, it is not necessary that unemployment will stop increasing.

C. Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons.
-- This is irrelevant information and has neutral effect on the argument. Hence C is a incorrect answer choice.

D. The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970's than it did in the 1960's.
-- This might be possible but has no impact on the conclusion. Hence D is an incorrect answer choice.

E. The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.
-- This is an opposite answer. It is strengthening the argument. Hence E cannot be a correct answer choice.

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 10:33
B says employment rate has risen even when minimum wage remained constant...but we need to consider what happens if the minimum wage is reduced further than the current levels - not when it is constant.

Dont think B is right.

crejoc wrote:
DanaJ wrote:

IMO B, the conclusion says
if subminimum wage instituted, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.

B says that teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant this undermines the conclusion

C since employers hire extra help when teenagers are available will increase teenage unemployment, but the conclusion is institution of subminimum wage restricts unemployment rate from increasing, C is not addressing anything about subminimum wage
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 11:01
tingle15 wrote:
I am still not convinced with choice B.

Any pointers?

If the unemployment rate of teenagers rises even when the wage is constant it implies that some factor other than wage is causing an increase in unemployment; hence B weakens.

Hope this helps. :wave

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 11:28
onedayill wrote:
tingle15 wrote:
I am still not convinced with choice B.

Any pointers?

If the unemployment rate of teenagers rises even when the wage is constant it implies that some factor other than wage is causing an increase in unemployment; hence B weakens.

Hope this helps. :wave

Perfect...now I understand...thanks a lot...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 23:08
X=increased minimum wage
Y=teen unempoyment
premise: X causes Y
ways to weaken:
if Y occurs, then X occurs
if X does not occur, Y still occurs
if X occurs, Y does not occur.. and so on
choice B fits the 2nd pattern
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 23:17
+1 for B
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 01:07
+1 B

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Teenagers wage [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:29
yes b
Re: Teenagers wage   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2010, 09:29