Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

63% (02:19) correct 36% (01:38) wrong based on 65 sessions
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument above?
(A) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.
(B) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
(C) Employers often hire extra help during holiday and warm weather seasons.
(D) The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970’s than it did in the 1960’s.
(E) The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.

Answer is not E but B. Let's discuss why not E. Let me know what is your logic.

Cheers,
SD

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
I think, because the questions is related to 2 parts, minimum wage and the decrease in teenager's rate of working. Among these questions, only B involve in those two ideas.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is clearly B , which states that the rate of unemployment is not dependent on the minimum wage. this statement weakens the arguments conclusion that raising minimum wage will increase unemployment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 10:18
Thanks...I choose B too but wanted be sync with others about the logic

Cheers,
SD

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 194 [2] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
Its a cause effect reasoning question.

Clearly the answer is B as it shows that the minimum ages has no effect on the rise of teenage unemployment.

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 03:35
Though I marked B, which clearly says the MW is constant so there has to be some other reasons for high UR. But, there is an interesting thing to note that in A, the MW is increasing besides rate of Unemployement.

So, this also can be correct. What do you think guys?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 03:57
B states that there is no effect on teenage unemployment rate when MW remains constant .. How can we deduce from this that the teenage unemployment will increase or decrease or remain constant even if MW is decreased or increased ?

By the reasoning others are giving .. if B is right then A should also be right .. as ykaiim pointed out.

I feel E is a better option as it states that unemployment rate has decreased since 1960 without any modification to MW. So there are other factors affecting unemployment rate.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 06:17
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the government-mandated minimum-wage level because employers cannot afford to pay that much for extra help. Therefore, if Congress institutes a subminimum wage, a new lower legal wage for teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate, which has been rising since 1960, will no longer increase.
(A) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen when the minimum wage has risen.
(B) Since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has risen even when the minimum wage remained constant.
(D) The teenage unemployment rate rose more quickly in the 1970’s than it did in the 1960’s.
(E) The teenage unemployment rate has occasionally declined in the years since 1960.

I picked up B.
conclusion is C (institution of lower wage) ---> (unemployment rate for teenage will not increase) E
hence anything if we could show that the cause was there i.e. equivalent lower age but unemployment rate is not impacted. also by POE you B is the only one which impacts the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 07:48
Only B seems right.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 08:52
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 10:55
B it is for the same reason dmetla said.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 11:45
Why is A wrong?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 10:29
Can anyone help in explaning why A is wrong?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 15:50
Conclusion: If the Congress lowers the minimum wage for the teenagers, the teenage unemployment rate will stop increasing.

In other words, the author believes that the minimum wage is causing the teenage unemplyoment rate to increase. Keep in mind that this is a Weaken question, which means you need to look for a flaw in the author's reasoning. The reason A is incorrect is becasue it strengthen the author's conclusion by showing a causation between minimum wage and teenage unemployment rate.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 16:01
great! thanks I did know the question was about casual effect... is there key words that stand out ? or just because of the situation?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
If you are using trend in the unemployment rate as an argument, you need to have compared trend in wages. There is nothing in question stem which gives you any idea of whether wages have occassionally increased or decreased or remained constant snce 1960.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 08:02
The argument is saying ' employers cannot afford to pay that much (minimum-wage level ) for extra help.' that means it does not matter the minimum-wage is high or low or remains constant, employers want to pay teenagers less than minimum-wage, because even the minimum-wage is low, employers can hire adults why bother to hire teenagers.

So i don't think B weakens the argument -- it's actually in line with the conclusion.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 08:08
Yeah you are right - the argument is assuming that lowering min wage will lower the unemployment rate. To sabotage the conclusion - attack that assumption. B is doing exactly this.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 09:23
hmm, I don't think 'the argument is assuming that lowering min wage will lower the unemployment rate.', it assumes 'having a lower wage than min wage for teenagers will lower the unemployment rate of teenagers', so even the min wage is lowest for decades, employers still would not hire teenager because they can hire adults for that wage, that is to say, employers will hire teenagers for extra help only paying them lower than min wage.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 23:06
SudiptoGmat wrote:

Hi SD,
B says that minimum wage remains constant since 1960. Ok that's great but it is no where mention that the constant MW was remain under employer's affordable range throughout decades and hence since 1960 the teenage unemployment rate has been rising constantly. I am not seeing the requirement of any other factor except MW to explain the rising trend of unemployment.
Well once it is assumed that the constant value of the MW since 1960 is actually under the affordable range of employers and still unemployment is rising then the need for the other factors is required to explain the trend.
Hence B doesn't weaken the argument as it requires an extra assumption to prove it. I would go with option E, which directly denies the validity of conclusion.
Correct me if I am wrong! :)
Thanks in advance.
Re: Teenagers are often priced out of the labor market by the   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2013, 23:06