Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [358]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [89]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [30]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [21]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The comparison in E is ambiguous.

Let's look at the main comparison here. Plugging in E yields:
The patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than the stress patterns of boys.

There is no verb attached to "the stress patterns of boys" assure that the likelihoods of resulting in depression are compared.

So two interpretations are possible: the stress patterns of boys "are" also likely to result in depression (but not as much as those of girls are), or
The stress patterns of girls can cause either depression or the stress patterns of boys.

Option A resolves the ambiguity by including the verb.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Onell wrote:
Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.

(A) are those that boys experience

(B) what boys experience

(C) boys’ experience would

(D) boys’ stress patterns do

(E) stress patterns of boys

Concepts tested here: Verb Forms + Comparisons

• Comparisons can only be made between similar things.
• "do" and its derivatives cannot refer to helping verbs.
• Statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to a statement of universal fact with the simple present tense verb "are". Further, Option A avoids the verb form error seen in Option D, as it does not use the verb "do". Additionally, Option A correctly compares the verb phrases "the patterns of stress that girls experience are" and "are those that boys experience".

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "the patterns of stress that girls experience are" to the pronoun phrase "what boys experience"; remember, comparisons can only be made between similar things.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple future tense verb "would" to refer to a statement of universal fact; remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "do" to refer to the helping verb "are"; remember, "do" and its derivatives cannot refer to helping verbs.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "the patterns of stress that girls experience are" to the noun phrase "stress patterns of boys"; remember, comparisons can only be made between similar things.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [14]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the answer is A

comparison is between:
Patterns of stress that girls experience and
Patterns of stress that boys exoerience.

also, patterns are more likely or less likely to result in depression
and, stress is what boys and girls experience.

In B and C patterns are being compared to stress, hence rejected
D introduces the word 'do'

A is most parallel in contruction.. so I think i will choose A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [9]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

Please find the explanation below:

The sentence aims to compare the 'patterns of stress that girls experience' to 'the patterns of stress that boys experience' and make a conclusion that the former can most likely result in depression.
Note that the structures being compared should always be parallel and at the same level.

For this reason, 'patterns of stress that girls experience' should be compared to 'those that boys experience'. And option A clearly mentions that the boys experience is less likely to result in depression. Hence option A is the correct answer.

We cannot choose option B because it does not provide a clear comparison between the 'patterns of stress that girls experience' and the 'patterns of stress that boys experience'. It just tends to ignore the fact that the boys experience is less likely to result in depression by omitting the word 'are' before 'what'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [4]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
What is wrong with E?
Same things are being compared here also ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Bookmarks
Shouldn't it be:

"Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience."

without (are) repeated? It makes me confused since those refer back to "the patterns of stress". I don't think we need to repeat the verb (are) here, do we?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I could understand the difference between A and D... Both are gramatically correct.
However I think there is nothing wrong in D... In fact D is more concise..
D: boys’ stress patterns do

This means that the stress patterns of girls more likely leading to depression than stress patterns of boys do(leading to depression)..

But please help me why A is recommended to D? For the sake of parallelism?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello again mikemcgarry,
I picked A. I could eliminate B, C and D.
I picked A, as i saw it has followed the same structure, but it seems to me that E has the same meaning. I know I am wrong, just can't find out how....

Respect....
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
nahid78 wrote:
Hello again mikemcgarry,
I picked A. I could eliminate B, C and D.
I picked A, as i saw it has followed the same structure, but it seems to me that E has the same meaning. I know I am wrong, just can't find out how....

Respect....

Dear nahid78,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (E) does have the same meaning as (A), but choice (E) is redundant and awkward, whereas (A) is elegant. Choice (A) wins easily---a much better answer.

Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [3]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos