Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [51]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [15]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [1]
Send PM
Re: Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes [#permalink]
Bookmarks
C)...the right idiom is "different from". A) and B) are out. D) is out because it compares chemical composition to the lava. E) is out because it is not clear if "containing" refers to "lava" or to "composition".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes [#permalink]
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.
(A) is different than any terrestrial lava; they contain
(B) is different than any terrestrial lava’s, containing
(C) is different from that of any terrestrial lava; they contain
(D) differs from any terrestrial lava in containing
(E) differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s, containing

I think C is flawed too ..."They" looks suspicious....I would go with D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
It is (C) for Parallelism.

(D): "in containing far less water than obsidian does .." : wrong : "does" does not have any verb to refer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
banerjeea_98 wrote:
OA is "C"

A, B eliminated because of "different from".....

D bad comparison.

Both C and E seen right.

I chose C. But i aint sure what is wrong with E.

IC = Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s

Phrase [Participle modifying Subject Teckites] = containing far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

IC, Phrase

Any explain what is wrong with E???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E says as if the chemical composition contains far less water-------

but it is tektites, which contains far less water-----.

thats why E is wrong and C correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
dipaksingh wrote:
E says as if the chemical composition contains far less water-------

but it is tektites, which contains far less water-----.

thats why E is wrong and C correct.

To me here is what E says:

Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian, but their chemical composition differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s, containing far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

the phrase in green is an absolute phrase modifying the subject Tektities. Absolute phrases dont have to modify the noun right next to it. It could modify a) a subject of the previous clause b) object of a previous clause or c) the entire clause.

Any solid explanations why?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
gmataquaguy,

"their chemical composition differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s, containing far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals". --- this is a independent clause joined to another independent clause with the help of a coordinating conjunction "but".

the other I.clause is " Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian"

again the possesive form (lava's) is wrong.

E compares "chemical composition of tektitis" with "chemical composition of lava's containing far less water----" isn't it wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dipaksingh wrote:
gmataquaguy,

"their chemical composition differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s, containing far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals". --- this is a independent clause joined to another independent clause with the help of a coordinating conjunction "but".

the other I.clause is " Tektites, which may have been propelled to Earth from lunar volcanoes, are much like the volcanic glass obsidian"

again the possesive form (lava's) is wrong.

E compares "chemical composition of tektitis" with "chemical composition of lava's containing far less water----" isn't it wrong.

I dont agree with your comparison. Here is why:

Here is what the IC after but says in E.

their [Tekkites] chemical composition differs from that of any terrestrial lava’s.
Step1:
The possessive form of lava is correct because enables comparison between Teckites's chemical composition and lava's.

This statement is analogous to

My car is faster than Jane's ----> Here Jane's = Jane's care [implicit].

Step2:

IC, containing far less water than obsidian does and none of its characteristic microcrystals.

I'm saying that "containing....." isnt a participle phrase. Its an absolute phrase that modifies the subject teckites.

Please read absolute phrases from [https://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#participial] and https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1540

and you will see why i'm asking these questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dipaksingh wrote:
either you have the "possesive form" or you use the construction "that of", but not both.

taking your example-

My car is faster than Jane's ----> - CORRECT

My car is faster than that of Jane ----> - CORRECT

My car is faster than that of Jane's ----> INCORRECT

Di,
Good Call - i didnt know about this rule!!! Will the OP please confirm that the aphostrophe wasnt a typo. If not then your explanation is good!! Could you point me to some online documentation on the aforementioned rule. Just wanna read it to validate some of my other queries about possesives.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
sorry i dont remember at present any site where you will get this ,but please check "comparision" section on any of the "english usage" sites. most probably you will get it some where.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmataquaguy wrote:
dipaksingh wrote:
either you have the "possesive form" or you use the construction "that of", but not both.

taking your example-

Di,
Good Call - i didnt know about this rule!!! Will the OP please confirm that the aphostrophe wasnt a typo. If not then your explanation is good!! Could you point me to some online documentation on the aforementioned rule. Just wanna read it to validate some of my other queries about possesives.....

Ban, could you please reconfirm that the aphostrophe wasnt a typo
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
dipaksingh wrote:

taking your example-

Yes, that's exactly the reason I would choose C over E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
In option C , is the only option where the 2 chemical compositions are compared
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM