Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tell me about yourself Essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Tell me about yourself Essay [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 11:50
Folks,
Im writing the dreaded "tell me about yourself" essay. I did see a lot of posts about the interview although none about the essay.

I was hoping to get people to sound off on their success stories. This is to measure a sense of who you are and not what you have achieved.

So go ahead and please tell me what to write in tell me about youself, your family, where your grew up, your interests and people who influenced you.
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tell me about yourself Essay [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 11:57
mbafall2011 wrote:
Folks,
Im writing the dreaded "tell me about yourself" essay. I did see a lot of posts about the interview although none about the essay.

I was hoping to get people to sound off on their success stories. This is to measure a sense of who you are and not what you have achieved.

So go ahead and please tell me what to write in tell me about youself, your family, where your grew up, your interests and people who influenced you.

In my opinion, best way to write this is to put whatever you can down in all those categories. Then, read it like you are the third person, and ask yourself "could anyone else have written this?". If the answer is no, then you're half way there. You need to then pick the best stories, make sure that they're a good mix of work/life balance, and then spice them up further to tell the story of who you are.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross or Fuqua?
WE 1: Master of Science, including Masters Thesis
WE 2: 5 years at multiple Government Contractors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: Tell me about yourself Essay [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 12:48
Which school is this for? I ask because I know Michigan's was only 100 words and Columbia's was 500 words, for instance. Plus, your strategy also depends on what the other essays are.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tell me about yourself Essay [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 13:55
wschaeff wrote:
Which school is this for? I ask because I know Michigan's was only 100 words and Columbia's was 500 words, for instance. Plus, your strategy also depends on what the other essays are.

This is for HAAS. They have a 500-1000 word limit.

Fall 2011 Main Essay Question
Please tell us about yourself and your background. Include information about your family, where you grew up, your interests, and any other people or experiences that have influenced you. The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally. (1000 word maximum)

Im thinking when they ask for my interests, instead of just putting down some mundane things, i should try to put down something that works its way into a larger scheme- may be one of their 4 defining principles.

I guess-i could also try to establish why i will be a good classmate outside of the academic part of it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tell me about yourself Essay [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 11:48
Any feedback on this:

Start with a few lines about my family where i grew up etc.

A paragraph about schooling and some lessons i learnt for life

A paragraph about how i was called upon to help my dad's business and small changes that i made
(Currently no space for this but i would like to write about working with a prof on a technical paper and something that i learnt from him- completely non technical)

Talking about interests and especially hiking and likening it to life?
Re: Tell me about yourself Essay   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 11:48