Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 22:26
Background: So i work in a matrix organization. It's client services. I "report" to lots of partners on a project basis, but ultimately there's a guy that runs my office (who happens to be a very big deal firm-wide) who decides the bonus, gives the end of year evaluation, etc., even though I don't work with him on very many projects.

Now. I won't be asking him for a letter of rec, because of that. And I do know the 2 partners I want to ask. But I recently received some advice that I should inform the main boss that I'm applying for entry in Fall 2013 (nearly 11 months before I leave my job!). The rationale of this person was that if he finds out, he would be mad that I didn't tell him first. I said, "Why would he find out?" and this person said "if you came to me and asked for a letter, I'd say, Sure, but I'll need to talk to your manager to get a complete picture of how you've been in the firm. So he's going to find out. And you don't want to burn any bridges."

I'm worried about the bonus amount he might keep from me if I tell him (conferred in Feb '13). And frankly, I'm just not looking forward to 11 months of him looking at me a certain way when we pass in the hallway. I'm not convinced that anyone would go and tell my boss I'm leaving. And couldn't I just ask my recommenders to keep quiet?

I would LOVE some input from the gmatclub community on this. I think I'm literally torn 50-50 on this. And time is a-ticking....

Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
cole2012 wrote:
Background: So i work in a matrix organization. It's client services. I "report" to lots of partners on a project basis, but ultimately there's a guy that runs my office (who happens to be a very big deal firm-wide) who decides the bonus, gives the end of year evaluation, etc., even though I don't work with him on very many projects.

Now. I won't be asking him for a letter of rec, because of that. And I do know the 2 partners I want to ask. But I recently received some advice that I should inform the main boss that I'm applying for entry in Fall 2013 (nearly 11 months before I leave my job!). The rationale of this person was that if he finds out, he would be mad that I didn't tell him first. I said, "Why would he find out?" and this person said "if you came to me and asked for a letter, I'd say, Sure, but I'll need to talk to your manager to get a complete picture of how you've been in the firm. So he's going to find out. And you don't want to burn any bridges."

I'm worried about the bonus amount he might keep from me if I tell him (conferred in Feb '13). And frankly, I'm just not looking forward to 11 months of him looking at me a certain way when we pass in the hallway. I'm not convinced that anyone would go and tell my boss I'm leaving. And couldn't I just ask my recommenders to keep quiet?

I would LOVE some input from the gmatclub community on this. I think I'm literally torn 50-50 on this. And time is a-ticking....

Thank you.

I would 100% not tell him... I dont know why you would to be honest. How would the conversation even go? "Hey Mr. Boss I never talk to, I called this quick meeting with you so that I could tell you something... I will be leaving the company, this is my 11 month notice."

In my opinion, the only time you must tell your boss about leaving in advance, is if you are using him as a recommender.

Why would the vendor request to talk to your boss in general? They'll be recommending you based on their interaction with you... how would the overall picture of you in the firm change their outlook on the interactions they've had with you?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 06:13
Thanks for the input & yeah, that was my gut too. Just wanted to see if there were any others who shared the concerns of the guy who gave me that advice. It doesn't seem unethical to me to not tell the main boss. It's not like when I leave the place is going to fall apart. I guess this might hinge a little bit on the personality of the main boss? But in the end, I can't control everything...
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 06:34
I wouldn't tell your office manager until you are ready to do so. The people who work with you closest are the ones who can speak to your contributions to the firm. There is no need to involve higher ups until you're officially in and ready to give notice.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 17:03
I was in a similar situation, since I was soon to rotate. I am applying to six bschools, and targeting all apps for round 1.

I was thinking of holding this information back, but i realized that I'd rather have my manager receive the word I'm applying to bschool from me instead of hearing it from others. Then I can semi-control the flow of info.

So I met with him and explained that I will be applying. I did my best to convey that this decision is regardless of my opinion of the company and my job. And it seemed he got it. If he didnt and will hold it against me, it just strengthens my motivation for bschool.

If you can get your recommenders to keep a tight lid, then i'd hide it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:08
I told my boss early-on, but my situation is different. I work at a startup where all executives and managers have MBAs (about half from top-tier schools). They were all very supportive when I told them I was applying and are willing to work with me on some kind of flexible arrangement.

I throw in my position to point out that it depends on the environment at your work. I would NOT have told my managers at my last job, which sounds like it was a similar large corporation matrix organization.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 18:06
I currently work for a big 4 accounting firm, and I will NOT tell my bosses until I'm about ready to turn in my letter of resignation. A select group of people (friends and recommenders) know, but that is it.
Re: Tell my boss I'm applying 11 months before I leave?   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 18:06