Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ten Articles Every Student Should Read

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: NSTU
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Ten Articles Every Student Should Read [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 10:21
Study Skills for students: Ten Articles Every Student Should Read

I taught college students for fourteen years. One thing I learned as a teacher was that to do well in my classes, students needed to do more than understand the material I was teaching. Unfortunately, many students lack some of the study skills needed to be successful in college.
Since I started writing for the Campus Life section of Suite101 four years ago, I've been delighted by the feedback I've received from college students about my study skills articles. I sincerely hope my tips and tricks have been helpful to lots of you out there!

Here are what I consider ten of my most useful articles about study skills that every college student read.

1. College Academic Expectations Versus High School Academic Expectations
Here's one of the first things college students really need to know. College instructors expect a whole lot more than high school instructors. I hope this article can help minimize the academic shock of freshman year that so many students experience.

2. Time Management Tips for Student
Here's one skill that college students will use now and for their entire lives. Since most college students are busy juggling multiple classes, part time jobs, activities, social lives, and all kinds of obligations, time management is a crucial skill to learn and practice.

3. How to Take Effective Class Note
I can't count how many times a student came to me wondering why he or she did poorly on an exam – only to have me take a look at his or her class notes and find the answer. Taking good notes is an important skill that I don't think high schools are teaching very well.

4. How to Keep Up with a College Reading Load
Here's something that I had lots of problems with as a college student! When it comes to dry college textbooks, I just didn't have the greatest attention span. Here are some tips to help.

5. Common College Term Paper Mistakes
I can't even tell you how many papers I've read in my day, and these are some of the most common writing mistakes that students make.

6. How to Ace a College Midterm or Final Exam
Learning how to do well on a college test is definitely a skill students need to develop over time. This article links to a series of articles about how to do well on various types of exams and how to get over test taking anxiety.

7. College Paper Deadlines
Deadlines are one of the most stressful parts of college. I've had plenty of upset and even crying students in my office who missed their deadlines. The constant schedule of deadlines in college can be brutal. However, students really do need to master the skill of meeting deadlines, because they don't go away in the real world!

8. Avoiding Plagiarism
Most students don't plagiarism because they're lazy or inherently dishonest. They do so because they're desperate to complete a deadline. Nonetheless, students need to realize that plagiarism is a very serious offense.

9. Things Professors Hate to Hear
A little advice from me to you as a former professor!

10. Poor College Study Habits
Now that you've read about some of the best college study habits, be sure to read about some of the biggest mistakes that students make.

source:: http://4sbrothers.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... dents.html
Ten Articles Every Student Should Read   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2011, 10:21