Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [2] , given: 116

Premium Member
Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Tepper School Guide

Tepper FAQs

Active Current Students/Alumni from GMAT Club: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DMNY31 - Class of 2015

Essay Questions

Short Answer 1 (Maximum 250 words): What is your professional goal immediately following graduation from the Tepper School?

Short Answer 2 (Maximum 250 words): What are your long term career goals?

Essay 1 (Maximum 500 words): What transferrable skills have you developed that are related to your professional goals outlined in Short Answer 1? Additionally, identify the skills that you will need to develop or enhance. Specifically, how will the Tepper MBA help you develop these skills?

Essay 2 (Maximum 300 words): Describe a defining moment in your life and explain how it shaped you as a person.

Essay 3 (Maximum 300 words): How will your presence in the Tepper MBA program benefit your fellow students? How will you contribute to the school as a student and as an alumnus?

Optional Essay (Maximum 500 words): Is there anything else that you think we should know as we evaluate your application?

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar Recording

Attachment:
Dealing with a Ding.pdf [4.21 MiB]
Downloaded 8 times
To download please login or register as a user

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Last edited by Narenn on 06 May 2014, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
Current Students
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 128

Premium Member
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 10:55
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 128

Premium Member
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 10:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here are the essays:

Essay Questions

Short Answer 1 (Maximum 250 words): What is your professional goal immediately following graduation from the Tepper School?

Short Answer 2 (Maximum 250 words): What are your long term career goals?

Essay 1 (Maximum 500 words): What transferrable skills have you developed that are related to your professional goals outlined in Short Answer 1? Additionally, identify the skills that you will need to develop or enhance. Specifically, how will the Tepper MBA help you develop these skills?

Essay 2 (Maximum 300 words): Describe a defining moment in your life and explain how it shaped you as a person.

Essay 3 (Maximum 300 words): How will your presence in the Tepper MBA program benefit your fellow students? How will you contribute to the school as a student and as an alumnus?

Optional Essay (Maximum 500 words): Is there anything else that you think we should know as we evaluate your application?

http://tepper.cmu.edu/mba/admissions/essay-questions/index.aspx
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 21:03
Can someone shed some light on 'additional' information to write in Short Answer 1 and 2? Really speaking, the apt answer would be done in 100-150 words. What do we write on in the remaining 150-100? On Why MBA? or a little bit about history?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:10
In for R1!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 17:09
Dan8294 wrote:
In for R1!

Any reapplicants here? Has anyone been able to get their application logins from Tepper (reapplicants only)
Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 04:17
HedgeWi wrote:
Can someone shed some light on 'additional' information to write in Short Answer 1 and 2? Really speaking, the apt answer would be done in 100-150 words. What do we write on in the remaining 150-100? On Why MBA? or a little bit about history?

I think the fact that they're giving you 250 words tells you that they want you to expand on your response. As you said, you could sum up your goals in 100-150 words. I think what you do with those extra 100-150 words is up to you.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 22:49
Can someone please help me with Math Background for online application?
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.
But there was not specific exams as such.

How about Statistics? Can someone please explain?

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

Your help is appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 00:59
sgupta14 wrote:
Tepper is asking for whether you have studied Calculus, Calculus II, Statistics and Linear Algebra?

I have done B.Tech. Computer Sc. Engg. from India and I had Applied Maths 1,2 &3 and Advance Maths in which I have studied calculus and algebra.

Also, Tepper has asked to upload marksheets with these subjects listed with grades. The file size allowed is only 1 MB but you can't scan 8 marksheets with 1 MB size?

I created a table with the following columns : Course Name, Semester, Course Details (This column indicated the different units under each course), and Grade.. For me the "Course Details" column covered the Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra part.

I actually scanned my degree certificate, consolidated mark sheet and the marksheets for each individual semester... Was only around 400 kb.. If you are scanning in color, then try scanning in black and white....

Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 01:07
MacFauz wrote:
sgupta14 wrote:

I created a table with the following columns : Course Name, Semester, Course Details (This column indicated the different units under each course), and Grade.. For me the "Course Details" column covered the Calculus, Statistics and Linear Algebra part.

I actually scanned my degree certificate, consolidated mark sheet and the marksheets for each individual semester... Was only around 400 kb.. If you are scanning in color, then try scanning in black and white....

I don't have scanner at home, all my marksheets are colored scan with 4MB size, & Transcript is 10 MB. I don't know how to reduce the size to 1 MB. I am trying some tools on MAC but none is useful so far.

Shall I create a small document to list all the subjects for Maths and upload it in that section?
I have covered Calculus and Algebra in Engg.
I am not sure about Statistics. What exactly Tepper mean by Statistics? There was no core course in Engg. but I have basic knowledge of Statistics that I acquired during High School & Engg.

Any suggestions?
Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 04:22
sgupta14 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
sgupta14 wrote:

I don't have scanner at home, all my marksheets are colored scan with 4MB size, & Transcript is 10 MB. I don't know how to reduce the size to 1 MB. I am trying some tools on MAC but none is useful so far.

Shall I create a small document to list all the subjects for Maths and upload it in that section?
I have covered Calculus and Algebra in Engg.
I am not sure about Statistics. What exactly Tepper mean by Statistics? There was no core course in Engg. but I have basic knowledge of Statistics that I acquired during High School & Engg.

Any suggestions?

I just created a Word file and went with the column approach. They'll be able to see all of your grades through your transcript anyways. I would use the Optional essay that you have not taken a "Calculus" or "Linear Algebra" course, but you have covered those topics in your Engineering studies. I'm sure they would understand what you mean.

"Statistics" is a course that teaches students how to interperate and analyze statistics - I think (I haven't taken it). It's pretty common for business and math majors in the US.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 04:31
I agree, I'm a little confused by "Statistics". I've never actually taken a normal Statistics 101 class from the math/stats/business department. I've taken a "Statistics 101 for Psychology" course from the Psychology department. I've also taken an upper division Probability class (but no aspects of stats) in the Math department. I've also taken graduate course in Time Series Analysis in the Statistics department. Which of these classes do they want to see? Should I just choose the one I got an A in?

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Last edited by farful on 04 Oct 2013, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 05:00
fwiw.. I had a class called probability & statistics... I'm copy pasting my syllabus....

UNIT I RANDOM VARIABLES 9 + 3
Discrete and continuous random variables - Properties- Moments - Moment generating
functions and their properties. Binomial, Poisson ,Geometric, Negative binomial,
Uniform, Exponential, Gamma, and Weibull distributions.
UNIT II TWO DIMENSIONAL RANDOM VARIABLES 9 + 3
Joint distributions - Marginal and conditional distributions – Covariance - Correlation and
Regression – function of a random variable-Transformation of random variables -
Central limit theorem.
UNIT III TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS 9 + 3
Sampling distributions – Testing of hypothesis for mean, variance, proportions and
differences using Normal, t, Chi-square and F distributions - Tests for independence of
attributes and Goodness of fit.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF EXPERIMENTS 9 + 3
Analysis of variance – One way classification – CRD - Two – way classification – RBD -
Latin square.
UNIT V RELIABILTY AND QUALITY CONTROL 9 + 3
Concepts of reliability-hazard functions-Reliability of series and parallel systems- control
charts for measurements (x and R charts) – control charts for attributes (p, c and np
charts)

Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:02
I called admissions office and explain about Math Background. She said you should be fine with all these course as you are from engg. background. She said you can upload a document with details about subjects or use optional essay. You can also upload your marksheets.
She said you should focus on submitting your application by 10/7 deadline and you can reach out to admissions for something trivial like this later to update.

I think they are flexible with at lease this part of application.

Guys, focus on your essays, resume, transcripts which are required for application completion.

How about LORs guys?
After some initial struggle I managed to find two of my managers who are willing to write LORs. They were reluctant as it is a time consuming process.
I have to sit with them for coffee to discuss various aspects.
Share your thoughts please!

LORs can be submitted after 10/7 deadline within a week.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 00:25
Hi,

Does any one have an idea about the time for tomorrow's deadline for Tepper? (is it 5 PM EDT or 11:59 PM EDT)

I was trying to get that info, but could not get it anywhere!

Cheers,
TheRedDevil

Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 00:29
thereddevil wrote:
Hi,

Does any one have an idea about the time for tomorrow's deadline for Tepper? (is it 5 PM EDT or 11:59 PM EDT)

I was trying to get that info, but could not get it anywhere!

It is 11:59 Eastern Time.
You can check it on the Tepper's website for application dates.

I would recommend submitting before that.
Current Student

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 23:40
Submitted my application for R1. All the best guys!!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 17:05
Submitted my application. Excited about the Tepper MBA.
Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Received an invitation to interview today. Very excited!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Reapplicant.. Received an interview invite :)

My recommender hasn't even submitted the recommendation! Crazy!
Re: Tepper (CMU) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 10:44