Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 07:21
I got admits from both UCLA (no money) and Tepper (40k fellowship).
My post MBA goals are corporate finance, my background is quantitative...

I know UCLA is ranked higher, but Tepper seems to have a strong rigorous program. My S.O. will be relocating with me, so CA is a little worrisome with the employment opportunities..

Any opinions? Is it worth it to go to Tepper for the cost difference and high employment % after graduation? Is Anderson's reputation better than Tepper's?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
my general opinion about rankings is that they're barely worth the paper they're written on :lol: . in some cases they serve to give you a ballpark estimate of a program. i'm assuming you're referring to the businessweek rankings in your post. even in the BW rankings, the schools aren't really that far apart, and other publications (like US News) have them almost equal.

jobs wise, tepper seems to have more opportunities than anderson in corporate finance (judging purely from their employment stats in that function). this doesn't necessarily mean that tepper is better or worse, as anderson might have access to more selective recruiters, etc.. you'd have to look into the specific employers on your own a little more.

i don't think either has a huge national brand advantage over the other, although i'd imagine if you wanted to focus on the west coast UCLA would be a safer bet. it sounds like this isn't the case though. also the fact that you're getting money from tepper makes it an easier decision to make. if i were in your shoes, i would take tepper

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 21

Re: Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
A lot of firms from West coast come to Tepper.They also have a west coast trek.I know people who were hired at HP,Intel for Finance roles.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)? [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 15:16
Has the opinion changed? Does anyone have any insight between these two school without regard to money and location? I am Concerned with the comparison focused on a reputation/curriculum/post grad salary/opportunity base. Any insight is appreciated.
Re: Tepper (CMU) versus Anderson (UCLA)?   [#permalink] 31 May 2011, 15:16