Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Check

• 66% [8]
  • 33% [4]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 14:31

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 23

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
well there is a pretty big jump between penn state and tepper i think. I don't know much about that field, so i'd take a look at the employment reports. If penn state can get you where you want to be, then it might be worth it to go there. But I doubt there will be many opportunities for management consulting out of penn state.

the financial freedom of penn state doesn't mean that you'll be able to accept any job you want after school, in fact many companies that recruit at tepper likely won't recruit at smeagol. Also keep in mind that as bad as this sounds, penn state is still at a low point due to what happened with whats his name.

That being said, 150k is a lot of money. have you tried to apply anywhere else? maybe there is a happy medium. another program that is ranked a bit below tepper that would give you some money. Something like georgetown or similar. Unless you are only looking in pa. my point is that personally i wouldn't go to penn state over tepper even with the money. it's too big of a jump. But not knowing much about supply chain management I can't comment as to penn states ability to get you where you want to go.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My first thought when you mentioned SCM/Ops was Smeal. Penn State is really really good in that area, but like kason said if you were to change your mind and go a different direction (management consulting or otherwise), you might have a tough time coming out of Smeal.

You sound like you want to go to CMU and you're looking for reassurance that taking on the debt will be worth it for you and your career. Have you tried going back to CMU and asking for $$, given that you have the Smeal $$ offer? They might be able to offer you something or potentially match the offer.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 16:44
Thanks kasonhills for your reply.

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 16:48
Thanks for your response aerien.

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 18:18
Go to Smeal if you are really serious about SCM. It is really good in that area (only). If you do, forget about MC. However, if you can arrange for the money, get a loan or something and are risk averse ($100k is huge money) - choose Tepper. It would any day top Smeal in most fields by a good margin, better network, higher starting packages and a much respected brand. Amazon and a lot of other tech/operations firms are big recruiters at Tepper.

You only have to decide whether you can afford Tepper, somehow. Good luck.

PS: I voted for Smeal.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 18:43
boothcornellrock wrote:
Go to Smeal if you are really serious about SCM. It is really good in that area (only). If you do, forget about MC. However, if you can arrange for the money, get a loan or something and are risk averse ($100k is huge money) - choose Tepper. It would any day top Smeal in most fields by a good margin, better network, higher starting packages and a much respected brand. Amazon and a lot of other tech/operations firms are big recruiters at Tepper.

You only have to decide whether you can afford Tepper, somehow. Good luck.

PS: I voted for Smeal.

Thanks boothcornellrock. I like the way you transformed the question.

I see, albeit different questions you too are in a similar situation.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 23

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
gtvisa2002 wrote:
Thanks kasonhills for your reply.

kasonhills wrote:
well there is a pretty big jump between penn state and tepper i think. I don't know much about that field, so i'd take a look at the employment reports. If penn state can get you where you want to be, then it might be worth it to go there. But I doubt there will be many opportunities for management consulting out of penn state.

I was surprised to see the employment reports of Penn State, they place students in firms like E&Y and Deloitte for SCM consulting roles.

kasonhills wrote:
the financial freedom of penn state doesn't mean that you'll be able to accept any job you want after school, in fact many companies that recruit at tepper likely won't recruit at smeagol. Also keep in mind that as bad as this sounds, penn state is still at a low point due to what happened with whats his name.

I agree. The financial freedom will buy me only SCM roles. As "aerien" mentioned Smeal does well but only in SCM.

kasonhills wrote:
That being said, 150k is a lot of money. have you tried to apply anywhere else? maybe there is a happy medium. another program that is ranked a bit below tepper that would give you some money. Something like georgetown or similar. Unless you are only looking in pa. my point is that personally i wouldn't go to penn state over tepper even with the money. it's too big of a jump. But not knowing much about supply chain management I can't comment as to penn states ability to get you where you want to go.

Matter of fact I did. Wisconsin, which is another good but not great program with respect to rankings, gave me half of tuition fee, but I feel that's neither here nor there.

Ok I see, well like I said I don't know much about SCM but it sounds like Smeal has decent placement there so if you are dead set 100% positive that you want to do that, then yeah I could see it being worth forgoing the brand and recruiting of CMU.

But if you think you might want to explore other options I'd definitely go to Tepper. It's a big investment yes, but the long term return will likely be much greater.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 20:24
kasonhills wrote:
Ok I see, well like I said I don't know much about SCM but it sounds like Smeal has decent placement there so if you are dead set 100% positive that you want to do that, then yeah I could see it being worth forgoing the brand and recruiting of CMU.

But if you think you might want to explore other options I'd definitely go to Tepper. It's a big investment yes, but the long term return will likely be much greater.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.

Thank you, I will definitely keep you all updated.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 11:47

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 21

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
Have you looked at U Pitt (Katz)? Is that even an option? From my memory they do well in MIS and Operations and place well in firms like Deloitte for SCM consulting. I could be wrong.

If that's not an option, I would probably take Smeal to be honest. A full ride is no joke and sure, Tepper/CMU is a more prestigious brand, I would probably like to live in Pittsburgh - but if you can get into your desired post-MBA career role/industry, then it's a no-brainer.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
How sure are you about SCM ? I would agrue that you can easily stand out in Smeal and probably will get job in Big4 SCM. Once you get your foot into the door its all about how you perform there. If it was Cornell or Duke, then it was worth the risk. However CMU still has to catch up with Duke and the high tuition will only make things tougher for you.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:06

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:13

Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 01:41
gtvisa2002 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
How sure are you about SCM ? I would agrue that you can easily stand out in Smeal and probably will get job in Big4 SCM. Once you get your foot into the door its all about how you perform there. If it was Cornell or Duke, then it was worth the risk. However CMU still has to catch up with Duke and the high tuition will only make things tougher for you.

This is exactly what my concern is, at this moment I am 90% set on SCM. But what if I rethink and would like to chnage, at Penn state there wouldn't be a lot of options and at CMU I would be ok.

It all comes down to Flexibility vs Money (short term, anyway).
No one can say that it will be impossible to change industries at Penn state and will be absolutely possible to get the job I want at CMU.

Better get in touch with couple of CMU graduates and get a picture from them regarding career changers.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 13:53
I have decided to enroll in Penn State.
Though I have reached the end of B school application process, I will be happy to help current and future GMATClubbers.

I thank those who provided their inputs and wish you good luck!
Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 13:53