Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2727 [180]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [20]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [13]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Re: Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot [#permalink]
GMATNinja please enlighten us
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot [#permalink]
Kudos
gamebredfighter wrote:
GMATNinja please enlighten us

Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward's argument as a response to Teresa's argument?

Step1: what are they talking?

Say : Objective is to observer and study something about space
Option1: Manned spaceflight goes to space; Humans observe and study there --> this is expensive option
Option2: Satellite records data and send data to astronauts on earth. --> this is cheaper option

Teresa says Option2 is available because it is cheap so option1 has no future.
Edward says : Option2 has only 2 accidents in 25 years. it is so reliable.

Step2: What is relation between Teresa and Edward statements?
Answer: Points seems not logically related : Reliable vs economical
What are logical gap Issues:
1. Edward didn't answer anything on comparison of option1 vs option2
2. Edward didn't reject option1 before bringing reliability point for option2

Step3: For logical evaluation, I replace the words/logic/idea given in options with information given in argument for close options
In my first reading, I rejected A, B ; considered and rejected : C and shortlisted : D and E options.

Step3b: Final crackdown ( I use this for hard questions)
(D) It does not meet Teresa's point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa's argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

I need to make a decision based on blue part

(D) It does not meet Teresa's point because it assumes that = why he didn't point to Teresa point
that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, = Ah! Edward thinks there is no blockage for option2 to execute. He didn't consider option1. ( You remember we thought of issue1)
but this was the issue raised by Teresa. = option1 was raised by Teresa.

Double Confirmation : It does not meet Teresa's point because Edward assumes that there is no blockage to transport people into space . But Teresa raised that because of economical reasons , Manned spaceflight has no future . The key reason is there are other alternates. Edward assumes that other alternates are not applicable and thus he didn't point to Terese point.

(E) it does not address the fundamental issue of = no issues here
whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget. = This is option. But Edward didn't talk anything on option1 . If he had rejected optio1 by giving some reasoning that why manned spacecraft should have priority over other alternates. this could have been an answer. Since Edward didn't talk about it at all, so this can not be answer.

Finally I rejected E and selected D.

I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 708
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN GMATNinjaTwo was having some difficulty in processing the OA. Here is my understanding of the question:
Edward in responding to Teresa does not mention "economy" at all. In fact he talks about a completely different parameter which is safety. The first part of OA correctly mentions that they are not on the same page but goes on to say " it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space" Edward may be well aware and may even acknowledge the "impediments" but may just value safety as a more important marker for positive furture of space flight. How can we assume he doesn't assume the seriousness of the impediments.

I went with choice B which speaks about a logical gap in Teresa's argument i.e Teresa failed to consider the "safety" parameter and went with just the economy parameter to draw a conclusion.

Am I missing something?

Please help. Your guidance and analysis would really help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.

Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward's argument as a response to Teresa's argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
-> No, Edward's evidence doesn't tend to disprove Teresa's evidence.

(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
->Teresa's evidence could still hold since she says that the "manned" spaceflight can't compete with other means . Edward's evidence only takes "manned transportation" in scope, hence his argument doesn't indicate any logical gap in teresa's support.

(C) It raises a consideration that outweighs the argument Teresa makes.
-> It doesn't do that , since his scope is only existing for the "manned transportation". Teresa is considering both manned and unmanned transportation and then laying out her conclusion.

(D) It does not meet Teresa's point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
-> This is the correct answer. It does assume that the other means won't provide a serious impediment to transporting people. Teresa mentions this issue as her evidence in her argument.

(E) It fails to respond to Teresa's argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.
-> Edward's argument doesn't address the priority of space activities over other activities on the national budget. However, this is not why he fails to respond to Teresa's argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 600
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q87 V80 DI80
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot [#permalink]
amitdgr wrote:
(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa's argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.­

­The reason I am posting an explanation for choice E is because I don't think any of the replies mentioned the logic I used to eliminate choice E.
My analysis is:
-> Teresa (T) says that manned spaceflight (MS) is less economical ($$⬇️) than other modes of spaceflight (i.e. unmanned) which can achieve the same results. Hence, MS doesn't have a future.
-> Edward (E) counters by saying that MS is the most reliable mode of manned transportation. Hence, MS has a future.
=> We can immediately spot that the reply by E is incoherent in context to T's argument because it doesn't address the flaw of MS that T exposed (i.e. being an uneconomical mode of spaceflight).
- Evaluation of E's argument in response to T's:
Choice D: We know that T bases her conclusion on the premise that there is financial impediment to the MS mode of spaceflight. E's reply does not tackle the mention of this impediment and takes it for granted; hence, this choice is correct as stated.
Choice E: states the issue of whether space activities (SA) should have priority over other claims on the national budget. Firstly, the fundamental issue is not what is stated in this choice but that MS is simply less economical irrespective of any budget priority in the national budget. And E's response doesn't touch upon the economic aspect of T's argument. Hence, it is immaterial whether SAs have priority in the budget because irrespective of SAs being in the national budget priority, the govt might want to save money by using a more economical mode of spaceflight i.e. unmanned, as pointed out by T and MS will NOT have a future despite E's logic holding.­ INCORRECT.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.01
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:

(E) It fails to respond to Teresa's argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.­

­Option D is the correct answer because Edward's retort does not logically address the economical viability of Teresa's argument rather Edward's argument sides with providing an argument in support of manned flight without addressing the disadvantage pertaining to economic viability addressed by Teresa. 

Option C could have been a trap here as the statement does provide a logical evaluation of Edward's comment but it does so quite independently without drawing a relation with Teresa's statement. When it comes to evaluating Edward's comment against Teresa's argument, then Option D does a better job. 
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1164
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Tech)
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:

­I narrowed my choices down to D and E. Now in E, it says "it does not address the fundamental issue" i.e. the budget. I found it too extreme to claim the budget as fundamental only. In D however, the claim is subtle that Edward did not consider any serious impediment. The budget can be one of the serious impediments. Therefore I chose D. ­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts