Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 22:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward’s argument as a response to Teresa’s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(C) It raises a consideration that outweighs the argument Teresa makes.
(D) It does not meet Teresa’s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa’s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 04:32
E. OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 11:08
D.

OA??
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 22:00
pls explain ur answers as well.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2009, 22:56
ritula wrote:
Teresa: Manned spaceflight does not have a future, since it cannot compete economically with other means of accomplishing the objectives of spaceflight.
Edward: No mode of human transportation has a better record of reliability: two accidents in twenty-five years. Thus manned spaceflight definitely has a positive future.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Edward’s argument as a response to Teresa’s argument?

(A) It cites evidence that, if true, tends to disprove the evidence cited by Teresa in drawing her conclusion.
(B) It indicates a logical gap in the support that Teresa offers for her conclusion.
(C) It raises a consideration that outweighs the argument Teresa makes.
(D) It does not meet Teresa’s point because it assumes that there is no serious impediment to transporting people into space, but this was the issue raised by Teresa.
(E) It fails to respond to Teresa’s argument because it does not address the fundamental issue of whether space activities should have priority over other claims on the national budget.

E too

one focuses on the economy, the other focuses on the reliability

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 01:07
OA is D. CAn anyone explain????????
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 00:47
I agree with the first bit that 'It does not meet Teresa's point' but then I dont think Edward's argument ASSUMES that there is no serious impediment. In fact, he EXPLICITLY STATES it. Plus, Teresa's point was not about being safe, rather it was about being economical. I was conused between B and D.

Whats the source?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 01:34
yes thats exactly wht my point was.
source: CR1000
shkusira wrote:
I agree with the first bit that 'It does not meet Teresa's point' but then I dont think Edward's argument ASSUMES that there is no serious impediment. In fact, he EXPLICITLY STATES it. Plus, Teresa's point was not about being safe, rather it was about being economical. I was conused between B and D.

Whats the source?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2009, 17:46
Teresa's argument is about transporting people economically into space. Edward has completely ignored this aspect in his argument. Rather, Edward's argument seems to assume that transporting people into the space will be economical.

Thus, D becomes the best option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 18:02
A, B and C are clearly not it.
E mentions dubious "national budget", "fundamental issue" - none of that in the dialogue. Besides, Edward does not really address Teresa's argument about the problem she claims manned space flights have.

Therefore, D is the answer, because it points out that Edwards does not meet Teresa's point of manned space flights being not economically sensible.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:spaceflight [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 08:05
I think it is a SLAT question. I chose E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User