Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
 Q50  V40
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Terrible first experience [#permalink]
I believe what kushagra was referring to is the GMATPrep that you can download off MBA.com's website. On the downloadable software there are 2 sample tests that reflect the same grading as the real test. This is especially help because it really helps gauge at your actual score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
marinewarrior42 wrote:
Just sat for my first GMAT. Can honestly admit studied about 2 hr/night, 4 nights before the test. Took a Kaplan practice exam two weeks before and scored 550. This time scored 410!!! Already am enrolled in MBA classes as my school waived the GMAT b/c of my good gpa, however wanted to score high on GMAT and transfer to a better B school. I will most likely sign up to take again about 2-3 months from now, maybe late winter '11.. Any helpful advice would be great.. can I recover from a 410 or will this always haunt me?? :cry: :?

2 hrs daily for 4 days is hardly enough time to prepare for the GMAT. So i don't think your 410 score is actually indicative of your abilities. You are right to devote at least 2-3 months towards your preparation.

You can refer to the below links for study plans/books etc.
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
best-gmat-books-77703.html

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your help@!!! I am already motivated by reading the stories
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS
Send PM
kushagra452 wrote:
marinewarrior42 wrote:
Just sat for my first GMAT. Can honestly admit studied about 2 hr/night, 4 nights before the test. Took a Kaplan practice exam two weeks before and scored 550. This time scored 410!!! Already am enrolled in MBA classes as my school waived the GMAT b/c of my good gpa, however wanted to score high on GMAT and transfer to a better B school. I will most likely sign up to take again about 2-3 months from now, maybe late winter '11.. Any helpful advice would be great.. can I recover from a 410 or will this always haunt me?? :cry: :?

No need to worry about this anymore. I am sure you will crack the gmat in your second attempt. I believe that Kaplan is not truly representative of the real gmat questions. I used manhattan and OG 12 to prepare. I too had almost the same amount of time as you (my preparation period was 5 days. But devoted a total of approximately 40-45 hours). But I guess the study material made the difference.

Also, take a GMAT prep test before you start you preparation. It will help you in identifying the areas that need more attention.

Cheers! and best of luck

Identify your weak areas first. As someone above said, try taking the GMATPrep tests from mba.com. Check your score and identify your weaknesses. There are corresponding books to buy according to your weaknesses. 8 hours preparation is obviously insufficient for GMAT. So don't read too much into your result. Am pretty sure that you can score lot higher. Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
true. manhattan is good. I got a 430 first time I took it. Now I'm gonna take it again with the expectation of trying to get into the 600's.

Be sure to do some this.

it helps me relax :-)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:UTS Sydney
 Q29  V19
Send PM
Don't worry, it actually happened the same to me. I sat for the GMAT on the 3rd of September and got a terrible score of 410 !!! I was so disapointed and thought of giving up on the GMAT, but this last for 2 days, and I was back on the track to blast it !!!
I took everything from the beginning, bought some books as OG12 and the Quantitative and Verbal review and the MGMAT guides. As I was going through the books, I realized that I wasn't prepared enough AT ALL the first time. I'll re-take the GMAT on the 3rd of December and I still have a lot to go through since then but I'm feeling confident.

Just keep practicing, and focus on your weaknesses. :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts