Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Terrible GMAT experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Terrible GMAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 May 2004, 09:34
Found this web site recently and hope GMAT experts here could help overcome this GMAT. I gave this dammmn test in April and got very disappointing score of 540 (V 27 Q 35).
I had crammed for this exam. I took few days off and studied intensely for 10 days with on and off preparation for a month as I work full time. I was too burned out by end of it as I wanted to finish OG before the exam(could finish only 50% or so). I was very tensed up for the exam as I was too worried about timing and wanted to get the initial 10 or so questions correct. The very second question blew me off ( a probabilty question -an easy question for many experts here) and that threw me off and by question 6 or 7 I was already thinking of canceling. Lack of sleep, nerves got better of me and I was literally taking 3 mintues for simple numerical problem(just numbers with lots of decimals and powers). Lot of problems seemed solvable but somehow I could not solve them quickly and ended up guessing as I was very behind in timing. Some of the problems seemed very simple(may be I was doing so bad, it gave the lowest difficult questions I guess) in the middle and end (like adding and subtracting with absolute values of negative numbers etc.).

Verbal section seemed little bit better but as you can see my score does not reflect that. RC were pretty big (one was 105 lines, others 55-85 lines) but questions were little bit easier for the longer ones. I guess my biggest weakness here was SC. CRs were OK, just couple of bold face questions which were actually easier than regular CR questions.
In the end, I wanted to cancel but stupidly my improved sense of doing reasonably well in verbal got me curious and I said show me the scores and was extremely disappointed to see 540.
I had used only OG and little bit of Princeton Review. Once I had done about 25% of OG, I had taken PP1 and got 650 and after finishing 50%, I took PP2 and got 720. As you can see these scores gave a false sense of confidence and my initial poor showing in quant took the wind out of me in actual test.
My question to GMAT experts here is how do I go about improving my quant skills. I am an engineer by profession so it is not an alien subject to me but somehow solving these under pressure seems to be tricky.
There must some method to this GMAT madness.
I thank you in advance for all your advice. I thank the founders of this GMATClub for such a wonderful site for sharing and learning about GMAT.
My goal is 650. Is this achievable? or should I give up my top 10 part-time MBA goals as I am not made for it?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2004, 10:01
Abacus

1. There are no 'experts' here. They are on bw-forums.
2. We are all students, even the people who are running the site. NOBODY is a businessman.
3. We have a mix of people - some who have given the GMAT, others who are preparing for it, others who have given and then are preparing for it a scond/third time etc....
4. GMAT is a test of nerves - but your bar is very well achievable. However a 10 day cramming won't do it.

Now if those basics are ok,

1. OG is your bible. Read it, assimilate it, rever it. It is your friend and philosopher.

2. Taking PP tests AFTER doing OG is not indicative of anything since the PP tests take questions from OG. Now, best will be to forget them.

3. I do hope you have certain time to go cracking at the GMAT once again. Please go through ALL the posts on this very forum (Experience with GMAT). Learn the basics. They are all here. Go through various material available from the main site also.

3. Start participating in math AND verbal forums. DON"T be intimidated. ASK any - repeat - ANY question and it will be answered - with care, with humility and with sincerity. That is what this club stands for.

Let me know what you think of the above.

Thanks,
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2004, 10:04
abacus

Welcome to GMATClub.

Sorry about that.

Anupag has given excellent advice. let me just add some tips.

first, not everyone does well the first time. And dont worry, most schools only look at the best scores. So, there is nothing to be concerned. you still have every chance of attending the school you want to. just keep trying.

I would advise you to participate here and take advantage of the expertise of other members.

I say this frequently.. you need to maintain an error log. when you practice and you make a mistake on a problem, write it down in your error log. write down what the solution was ,what mistake you did and make notes for yourself. Now, everyday or everytime you start your prep, make sure you study this error log first. why? if you do this regularly, you should not make the same mistakes again. with time, you would have built up a good resource for you to study. if you can maintain this discipline, you will be fine.

I hope i was able to help in some way.

Sincerely
Praet

P.S Thanks anupag :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 04 May 2004, 12:28
Thanks for your encouraging replies. I will give another shot anupg. I like the idea of error log. I am not sure I want to open the OG as I believe I have studied it for more than 50%. As you said GMAT is a test of nerves, I need to focus on improving my confidence level.
I would like to learn from some smart people here (that's what I meant when I said experts). I would try to participate and come up with a plan on addressing what areas I need to focus my efforts on, quant being the biggest one. I will explore different areas of site to see what's available here. Thanks again for your words of encouragement.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: Thanks [#permalink] New post 04 May 2004, 12:49
Abacus wrote:
Thanks for your encouraging replies. I will give another shot anupg. I like the idea of error log. I am not sure I want to open the OG as I believe I have studied it for more than 50%. As you said GMAT is a test of nerves, I need to focus on improving my confidence level.
I would like to learn from some smart people here (that's what I meant when I said experts). I would try to participate and come up with a plan on addressing what areas I need to focus my efforts on, quant being the biggest one. I will explore different areas of site to see what's available here. Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

you can get an error log forum of your own on GMATClub. its part of the Error logs for active members forum. our only request is you committ to post atleast 100 messages on GMATClub.

Error logs are for the active members. if you want more information, read the annoucements on the Site:Suggestions and Announcements forum.

Do let me know

Sincerely
Praet
Re: Thanks   [#permalink] 04 May 2004, 12:49