Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 09:48
Hi All,

After a much long debate and procrastination, I have decided to prepare for GMAT again, for one last time. Here's a quick background. I would really appreciate if anyone could provide me feedback / suggestions.

- I have prepared for GMAT on and off since fall of 2008.
- I have an arts background, so I have very little exposure to Math. Also, I was always scared about it somehow, I never learned to enjoy and appreciate the subject.
- My score in tests never exceeded 640, usually 540+, but there are days when I saw 400. (unfortunatley I did not track the splits)
- My last attempt to take the exam was Q4 2010, however I gave up towards the end as I could not break the 600 barrier on several occasions.
- I have MGMAT Series, OG 11, Veritas Prep, RC Bible.
- I have lost money on GMAT thrice! (I am not rich :? , but fear took me over and had to cancel, while I lost my job the other time)

I am willing to give in everything I can to take one last chance, ideally would like to tackle the beast in Sept. I have gone through the several posts on GMAT Club, specifically study plans etc and wonderful posts from many of you. What I am not sure yet is what should my startegy with getting up to speed with math. Also, it could be a stupid question but is there anything I could do to make Math learning more fun? Specific strategies, books etc.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 12:03
I'm in the same situation.. All I can see is, you'll never know until you've tried so keep pushing yourself and force yourself to keep going.. MGMAT is very much recommended here however I did have some trouble with it.. I really enjoyed Jeff Sackman's material.. Also, try to particpate in math questions here on the forum because there are a lot of questions posted here and you can basically practice gmat questions on your own pace.. Also, don't take tests until you feel truly ready because it could really demotivate you, which is basically where I am at right now :( Definately keep an error log and good luck with everything :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 07:50
Thanks for the note l0rrie, much appreciated. I definitely agree about error log, that seemed to have helped a lot of folks here and elsewehere.

On a side note, I am debating about taking the new GRE. The new format will allow you to use a calculator, which will be a big boon for me. My mind is too slow sometimes, and it really helps. Whatever I learnet thus far will not go waste, I think a lot of it can be leveraged for GRE.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 09:53
Isnt that an on the screen calculator? I hope its not too time consuming!

Good luck with whatever you decide :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:06
You might can estimate the impact of the calculator. If you miss problems due to calculation errors, then it may help your score. If you miss problems due to not knowing how to do the problem, then it will not help your score. Worse, those who know how to do the problems, but can't find or remember a shortcut, and those who sometimes make rushed calculation errors in their head (on simple problems) may benefit from the calculator and their gains may cause your score to drop.

I am just starting preparation and am avoiding cats, for now. It's not that difficult to pick up some study materials and find a few weaknesses just by reading. Then, make that weakness a strength and hope the problem type turns up on your test. good luck.
Re: Terrible in Math and average in verbal, please help.   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2011, 10:06