Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2015, 18:43
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Terrible sentence...spot the problems

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Terrible sentence...spot the problems [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 06:26
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/13882347/detail.html

"York County sheriff's deputies are looking for two men who couldn't decide whether or not to rob a convenience store, then finally went in and did it late Sunday."
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 06:30
lol spot the errors in yesterday's ny times.


Moreover, bankers and investors say, the strategies employed tend to be not only duplicable but broadly followed — the result being a packlike tendency that has helped increase market volatility and, for some hedge funds, has led to losses in the last month.

The managers of these funds are the products of the trading desks of the big investment banks, like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, both of which have investment operations that use computer models.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 06:40
bmwhype2 wrote:
lol spot the errors in yesterday's ny times.


Moreover, bankers and investors say, the strategies employed tend to be not only duplicable but broadly followed — the result being a packlike tendency that has helped increase market volatility and, for some hedge funds, has led to losses in the last month.

The managers of these funds are the products of the trading desks of the big investment banks, like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, both of which have investment operations that use computer models.


1) Idiom: Not only, but also
2) hyphen can be replaced with a semicolon as they are 2 independent clauses
3) Being can be replaced with a simple verb, is
4) "like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley" - this is getting picky, but the sentence could use a different comparative phrase like "such as"

I'm happy that I'm starting to analyze sentences in everyday life. Makes me feel that my studying is working.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 06:46
hd54321 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
lol spot the errors in yesterday's ny times.


Moreover, bankers and investors say, the strategies employed tend to be not only duplicable but broadly followed — the result being a packlike tendency that has helped increase market volatility and, for some hedge funds, has led to losses in the last month.

The managers of these funds are the products of the trading desks of the big investment banks, like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, both of which have investment operations that use computer models.


1) Idiom: Not only, but also
2) hyphen can be replaced with a semicolon as they are 2 independent clauses
3) Being can be replaced with a simple verb, is
4) "like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley" - this is getting picky, but the sentence could use a different comparative phrase like "such as"

I'm happy that I'm starting to analyze sentences in everyday life. Makes me feel that my studying is working.


the parts are not parallel too.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 879
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 7

Re: Terrible sentence...spot the problems [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 04:54
hd54321 wrote:
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/13882347/detail.html

"York County sheriff's deputies are looking for two men who couldn't decide whether or not to rob a convenience store, then finally went in and did it late Sunday."


The sentence is indeed badly constructed. My version would be the following:

York County sheriff's deputies are looking for two men who couldn't decide whether to rob a convenience store, but who finally robbed it late Sunday.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 932
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 05:33
:lol:

Okay guys.. this is when you know that GMAT studying has taken over your lives!!!!!! I find myself scrutinizing the daily emails I send out for work and correcting everything else I see! :shock:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 879
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 7

 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 06:27
beckee529 wrote:
:lol:

Okay guys.. this is when you know that GMAT studying has taken over your lives!!!!!! I find myself scrutinizing the daily emails I send out for work and correcting everything else I see! :shock:


At least I am learning to understand my own written work... :lol:
  [#permalink] 16 Aug 2007, 06:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic SC problems :( Oli1324 2 21 Nov 2014, 02:21
Experts publish their posts in the topic verbal problem RUHULDUMKTGMAIL 8 02 Feb 2012, 09:36
tense problem Iawfy 6 10 Oct 2006, 09:53
PR:Problem with CD ghantark 2 09 Aug 2006, 20:10
tense problem - willget800 4 12 Jun 2006, 17:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Terrible sentence...spot the problems

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.