Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test Advice needed Urgently.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 131

Test Advice needed Urgently. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 19:50
Hi friends,
I gave my Gmat prep mock exam yesterday with all the sections -awa+IR+quant and verbal and two 8 min break (must say it was exhausting)
scored a 720 with a quant-49 and verbal-40.(Target was 730+)
got about 9 PS & 6 DS problems incorrect
and 7 SC, 2 CR and Zero RC wrong.

Time management was better than before but it went a till haywire in PS towards the end where I made a few stupid calculation errors and In the last 4 questions in verbal where I had 1.30 seconds per question only (all were SC questions and I got 2 of them wrong)

Stamina and stress-- I was feeling drained out towards the fag end of the test from 36 question onward in verbal. So I need to work on that. I don't know how though

So considering the above should I schedule my Gmat exam in the next 10 days? I am 10-20 points off my target score with stamina and some timing issues.
AND I got 10/17 in SC so can I improve in SC (at least to some extent) in a week??

I have been studying from the past months but did not give a full length test till today only solved timed, mixed, quizzes and gave sectional tests.

Oh almost forgot about the IR part, just got a 2 (only 3 questions correct) , and this is the first time I am solving IR questions without even looking at the new OG13 , so I guess I can improve that by a couple or more of points more in the next week or so.

Any advise /inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks

impossible is nothing

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [2] , given: 5

Re: Test Advice needed Urgently. [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good job getting a 720 on your first practice exam. I'm surprised that you've only taken a single practice exam - I usually recommend that my students take at least 4 practice exams before taking the actual GMAT.

For timing, have you tried using benchmark times to keep track of your progress? It's a simple exercise of calculating which question you should be on at regular intervals throughout the exam.

Here is an example for Quant (the same can be done for Verbal):

Time: Question:
75 Mins 1
65 Mins 6
55 Mins 11
5 Mins 36

You should create these timing charts and practice with them on your practice exams. During the "Instructions" (which you shouldn't need because you know how to take the GMAT) use the time to write out the timing chart on the provided notebook. You may want to write the chart in a few locations in the notebook so you don't have to waste time looking for it. As you hit the benchmark times, compare your current progress with your benchmarks to see if you need to speed up, slow down or maintain. If you are tracking your timing throughout, you won't find yourself rushing at the end.

As for stamina, my best advice is to take multiple practice exams and get the most out of your breaks. It sounds like you don't have a lot of time before you take the exam, but you should take another practice or two so you can get more comfortable performing at a very high level for a long period of time. The breaks are absolutely critical to help your mind stay fresh. You need to break away from the exam completely (don't think about questions you may have missed in the previous section). Eat a snack, drink something, do something physical to get your blood pumping, splash some water on your face...whatever it takes to recharge your brain quickly. Also realize that due to testing center security protocols the real time of your break will be much less than 8 minutes.

You may have already scheduled your exam. If so, good luck. You are in a pretty good position. I usually recommend that people score be scoring above their target score in practice before taking the exam. If you don't hit your target on the first try, don't worry because many students take multiple exams before reaching their goal score. The GMAT requires you to space your exams 31 days apart (so you won't have the chance of seeing the same questions), so keep that in mind for your schedule.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 29

Re: Test Advice needed Urgently. [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
If your target is 730+ and your highest GMATPrep score is 720, you should not schedule a GMAT appointment.

If you have the OG, take a few minutes to look over the IR section. Also, spend some time going over the IR section in GMATPrep. Take a look at the IR subforum on GMAT Club. There are some very helpful posts.

When you are taking these tests, are you also taking breaks? When I took GMATPrep, I also took breaks, just like during the real GMAT. I would advise you to eat something during the break. Have a look at this thread. I at a banana and a Snickers bar during each of my breaks. It might sound crazy, but that helped me get through the tiredness.

Go back over your weaknesses, and schedule the GMAT when you feel you are ready. I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Test Advice needed Urgently.   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 10:39