Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello all,

Just got done taking the test and ended up with a disappointing 650. Before I forget, here are a few tips that I would like to share as I'm not a good standardized test taker.

1) Timing, timing, timing - Do not underestimate timing limitations on both sections. Even though, I tested at home in "real" conditions, nothing prepares you for the real thing. It was definitely not easy testing with other people around under strict time requirements.

2) Quant - Don't under prepare for the Quant section just because you are good. I never got a Quant score less than 48 in practice tests including Manhattan. I did not think the questions were too difficult (I'm only speaking of the first 10 or so before i started getting them wrong), but for some reason I took longer than anticipated on the first ten and panicked. I guessed way too many in between for the sake of time and also way too randomly. I guess one way to prepare would be to time every time you do the a math question, even when you practice. I know GMATClub provides various timers, so use them and I definitely should have.

3) Verbal - I think my score was definitely affected because of my mind thinking of the Quant debacle but nevertheless some of the mistakes again are attributed to timing. There were no "surprise" questions. I was quite thoroughly prepared but must have made mistakes though. Don't over study tough CR questions such as Bold Face and flaw in reasoning. Yes, they do appear but in much smaller numbers as compared to S/W and assumption questions. RC passages were quite easy to understand but had CR style questions in them. Again, nothing out of the ordinary.

4) Practice Tests - Don't be obsessed with practice scores. I can list all of them but I can assure you that NONE of them very reflective of my score as my exam nerves prevailed. So if you are like me and you have exam anxiety, take the practice tests as a way to gauge timing and to practice guessing but not really look at scores except maybe as a diagnostic at the beggining.

Tip for foreign (non-native English speakers) students - Don't ignore math and study basic verbal concepts, as they are tested more. Understanding the meaning of SC sentences is a must as it impacts CR and RC as well.

I need to decide to decide about retake :(
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 14:36
Hey do not lose heart....U must take it again....
And thanks a lot for sharing the Test experience with us ... :-)
All the best!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 00:10
Don't lose hope man...take some time off and then again for the kill :)
You will definitely get a good score :)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 09:42
Your verbal score is not bad at all, considering your state of mind after quant. What all materials did you practice for verbal ? Your post is much more beneficial than one month 770 scorer :).

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 22:12
hey dont lose hope. Just retake it. Im sure ull ace it
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 22:13
gluck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 01:13
650 is a wonderful score. Don't feel down about it. What do you need to apply to the schools you want to get into? If you take it again, what strategies do you think you will employ the next time around?

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 02:04
Go for it!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 19

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 14:14
Try again. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 17:42
Thank you for all the compliments and well wishes.

I'm glad my comments were useful. Please let me know if you would like to anything else. I'm not the greatest of standardized test takers so my comments are probably better suited for non-natives and average students.

Mindreko, for my retake I will concentrate on timing mainly on the Quant section and some areas that I know I struggled for sure on the test (geometry and inequality with exponents). The key I realized is to practice with strict time limitations and also follow the timing strategy that you are comfortable with most. I had practiced using Ron Purewal's time charts but later read someone else's chart in one of these forums and on the test I messed up because of the added exam nerves. Also, important to practice using the pad with sketch pen that they provide in the real test (some company sells it online) as it takes time to used to it and the real exam is not the place for that.
Re: Test Day Nerves - 650 (Q44, V36) - Average Student   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2011, 17:42