Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 00:36
I completed my Manhatttan Online Course recently and followed the whole program. I completed the OG 11 questions and reviewed all my questions and revisited them couple of times. I have just started to work on the Verbal and Quant review books. Last week I took my first Gmat Prep and scored 700 ( Q:51, V:35)

My hit rates for both PS and DS are 95+ % and I usually solve the quant questions around 90 seconds.

My hit rates for the verbal section are as below:

RC

General 83%
Main Idea 81%

Structure 100%

Tone 4 67%

Specific 71%
Detail 75%

Inference 67%

CR

Assumption 81%
Draw Conclusion 74%
Strengthen 82%
Weaken 93%
Analyze Structure 100%
Explain Event 92%
Make Inference 100%
Evaluate Conclusion 100%
Resolve Problem 75%
Provide Example 50%
Restate Conclusion 100%
Mimic Argument 100%

SC

3 C's 100%
Sub/Verb Agreement 95%
Verbs 83%
Pronouns 71%
Modifiers 85%
Parallelism 81%
Comparisons 79%
Idioms 69%
Odds & Ends 75%

So my major weaknesses are:

RC Inference questions and RC Idioms. I am working on my pacing and I got Quant under control but RC takes forever for me.

I am comfortable with CR after reading the CR bible and working on OG problems and my timing is around 105 seconds.

My SC skills are getting better. After completing the Manhattan SC guide and reading all of the OG explanations and taking notes + flash cards, I am more confident in this section but still my hit rate is not above 90 %. I need to study more idioms.

I also practice with old paper tests and they have pretty good questions. I am done with the quant questions in Kaplan 800 and found them useful. I will continue with the verbal part of it.

I will take Manhattan # 3, 4, 5 and 6 tests and also will take GMAT Prep two rounds.

What would you recommend ? Should I just practice GMAT Prep or practice Manhattan GMAT as well ?

What do you guys think about GmatClub tests ? I purchased the verbal questions and havent touched them yet.

I will post a very comprehensive GMAT after my test.

Thanks!
Attachments

Study plan_XXX.xls [80 KiB]
Downloaded 113 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 12:42
gmatdelight wrote:
I completed my Manhatttan Online Course recently and followed the whole program. I completed the OG 11 questions and reviewed all my questions and revisited them couple of times. I have just started to work on the Verbal and Quant review books. Last week I took my first Gmat Prep and scored 700 ( Q:51, V:35)

My hit rates for both PS and DS are 95+ % and I usually solve the quant questions around 90 seconds.

My hit rates for the verbal section are as below:

RC

General 83%
Main Idea 81%

Structure 100%

Tone 4 67%

Specific 71%
Detail 75%

Inference 67%

CR

Assumption 81%
Draw Conclusion 74%
Strengthen 82%
Weaken 93%
Analyze Structure 100%
Explain Event 92%
Make Inference 100%
Evaluate Conclusion 100%
Resolve Problem 75%
Provide Example 50%
Restate Conclusion 100%
Mimic Argument 100%

SC

3 C's 100%
Sub/Verb Agreement 95%
Verbs 83%
Pronouns 71%
Modifiers 85%
Parallelism 81%
Comparisons 79%
Idioms 69%
Odds & Ends 75%

So my major weaknesses are:

RC Inference questions and RC Idioms. I am working on my pacing and I got Quant under control but RC takes forever for me.

I am comfortable with CR after reading the CR bible and working on OG problems and my timing is around 105 seconds.

My SC skills are getting better. After completing the Manhattan SC guide and reading all of the OG explanations and taking notes + flash cards, I am more confident in this section but still my hit rate is not above 90 %. I need to study more idioms.

I also practice with old paper tests and they have pretty good questions. I am done with the quant questions in Kaplan 800 and found them useful. I will continue with the verbal part of it.

I will take Manhattan # 3, 4, 5 and 6 tests and also will take GMAT Prep two rounds.

What would you recommend ? Should I just practice GMAT Prep or practice Manhattan GMAT as well ?

What do you guys think about GmatClub tests ? I purchased the verbal questions and havent touched them yet.

I will post a very comprehensive GMAT after my test.

Thanks!

Gmatdelight, do you know where can I get the official paper tests?
Thanks a bunch!

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 13:16
leonidas wrote:

Thanks a bunch!

Leonidis:

Paper tests are here......

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... stsNEW.htm

GMATDelight:

GREAT POST!!! I'm in the process of wrapping up the MGMAT course and my stats are very close to yours - with the exeption of your quant being stronger than mine. Your spreadsheet is FANTASTIC. This seems like a very solid plan, however I just hope you can clear something up for me.....

On the 'Review' days - not including those after a CAT test - What exactly is on the agenda? How are you planning to best use your time on those days?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 17:19
ryan987 wrote:
leonidas wrote:

Thanks a bunch!

Leonidis:

Paper tests are here......

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... stsNEW.htm

GMATDelight:

GREAT POST!!! I'm in the process of wrapping up the MGMAT course and my stats are very close to yours - with the exeption of your quant being stronger than mine. Your spreadsheet is FANTASTIC. This seems like a very solid plan, however I just hope you can clear something up for me.....

On the 'Review' days - not including those after a CAT test - What exactly is on the agenda? How are you planning to best use your time on those days?

Thanks!

Thanks Ryan!! No kudos link yet.....

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 10:46
I'm taking pretty soon too and I'm not so sure about taking a CAT just a couple of days before test day. What if I happen to score lower than what I have been getting? Would I demoralize myself and affect my performance? While I doubt it, what's the point being so close to test day? I was just thinking in doing some exercises. At least that's my opinion. :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 07:35
What if you happen to score your highest ?

It is all about confidence.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77090

CAT Tests
Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 18:52
Taking MGMAT tests along with a couple GMATPrep tests will be beneficial for you. GMATPrep will give you an estimate of where you are, and MGMAT will help you learn how to solve more complicated questions.

Gmatclub tests, verbal and math are a godsend. I would definitely recommend you going through as many of them as you can, timed or untimed.
Intern
Intern

Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 23:00
Thanks for the advice.

I will be focusing my weak areas in verbal part for the next couple of weeks. I only took 2 CAT so far:

Gmat Prep # 1 23-Aug 50 35 700
MGMAT # 3 31-Aug 48 35 680

I will take the 4th MGMAT CAT tomorrow and hopefully score 35+ on Verbal part. I have been struggling with RC and recently started to solve RC questions without worrying about time and practicing to find the correct answers. This process helped me to identify how GMAC thinks...and my hit rate have gone up tp 90+ %, not I am trying to speed up and keep this rate in a timed test.

I came across with this interesting article about how CAT evaluates the four RC passages:

http://www.gmat760.com/Book/GMATRC.aspx

http://www.gmat760.com/Book/GMATRC2.aspx

What do you guys think about this outlined approach ?

I completed solving all the OG quant problems and I have a 98 % hit rate. But I will use the Gmatclub tests to learn more about tougher questions.

SC seems to be okay for me and I am trying my best to increase my CR %.

17 days left!!!

I am a little bit nervous. I will keep everybody updated about my progress and write a long debrief after my test.

Thank you all!

Gmat Delight
Re: Test Day : September 24th - Need Advice   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2008, 23:00