Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test in 14 days, 600 on my 1st GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Test in 14 days, 600 on my 1st GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 14:23
Hey guys,

so my first ever (and hopefully only) GMAT test is in 14 days, it's on January 10th. I've been studying for almost a month now.

I've gone through several preparation textbooks that I rented at my school uni:

-Cracking the GMAT (2012/2013/Verbal Workout)
-Official GMAT Book (2012)
-Kaplan advanced preparation---> this one is really good, has the toughest questions. It really gets you going. :lol:
....and some others

I've just taken them one by one, going through every page, taking notes, doing the exercises and examples.

All in all, I've calculated that I've studied 49 1/2 hours. I find that pretty freakin' incredible aha :shock:

Today was my first ever "real" prep test with a score at the end. I used the Official GMAT Prep software. I got 600. I'm quite happy with my score but I'm not satisfied. I need, and I mean need, a minimum of 680 at the test. Anything less and my application to the top program I wanna go to is not possible.

Taking into account that I've never even read anything or worked on anything related to the GMAT until a month ago, that my official mother tongue is french and that I speak English (my "2nd" mother tongue) only with my family (so I never really work on my grammar or critical reasoning skills, etc...), I think I did relatively well.

The fact that I'm also recovering from a serious concussion, which happened 2 1/2 months ago, and that I have serious PCS (Post Concussion Symdrom: lots of headaches, concentration problems,...) I think it's pretty good to have reached a 600 score on my first computer test.

Now the real question is how to get from 600 to a minimum of 680. What should I do? What's my plan from now on?

I haven't finished the Kaplan advanced preparation book so I think for sure I'll continue working on that.

I have another textbook that has 3 GMAT preparation tests left. How should I space these 3 tests with the computer one that I have left?

Should I like take the last computer GMAT Prep test on the 5th or 6th of January.

Also, one question, you can only take 2 computer GMAT Prep tests, right? There's no way you can do more right? The software doesn't let you take more than 2. :?:

---------------------------------------------------------

By the way, concerning my 600 score GMAT Prep test, I got these results:

I got about 14 out of 37 questions wrong in the Math
I got about 17 out of 41 questions wrong in the Verbal
I got 8 out of 12 questions wrong in the Integrated reasoning

I completely failed at the integrated reasoning, took about 8-9 minutes to try and figure out a single question that I eventually got wrong.

The rest is meh, isn't great but with 600, I'm guessing I got the first ones right and then didn't get all the hard ones right. Some were real tough.

Plus, with my headaches and all, I noticed I answered some pretty simple questions wrong, concerning about 9-10 questions in the test I just read the text/problem, thought for about 10 seconds and chose an answer without even reading all the possibilities. I didn't feel too good, I hope that on test day, my head will be ok.

Thanks a bunch guys, really nice of you to help me out.

Cheers
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Test in 14 days, 600 on my 1st GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 09:09
Hey guys,

So I retook a test after having studied a few days. I must have studied 4-5 hours between my first Prep test (December 27th) and my second one (January 2nd)

Well, I got a 670 score (got 600 on my first try). I'm quite pleased, although I wanted to get at least 680, because that's what I need as a strict minimum on test day.

I still have 6-7 days to prepare myself. I think that if I can squeeze 2-3 Prep tests between now and the 10th of January (test day), I can manage to get 680. What do you think?

This time, I really tried to focus on every single question, not like my first try. Did sensibly better on the verbal section and better on the quantitative section. My head felt ok, a bit better this time around.

Regarding the Integrated Reasoning section, it was the exact same questions than on the 1st test. Is this normal? I still tried to solve them one by one as if they were new to me. So part of my increase from 600 to 670 is due to this but good God, is this normal?

Also, so I have to uninstall the GMAT Prep program and re-install it in order to take other Prep tests? Is that right?

I have a free online Princeton Review Prep test. Should I do this one instead so that I don't get the same Integrated Reasoning section again?

-----------------------------------------------------

Here are the details of my score:

670 score

-Integrated Reasoning: 12 Questions, 3 Incorrect
-Quantitative section: 37 Questions, 11 Incorrect
-Verbal section: 41 Questions, 6 Incorrect

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot guys!

Cheers
Re: Test in 14 days, 600 on my 1st GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 09:09