Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Test is on Saturday - Talk me off the ledge... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi mdlyman,

How did Test Day go?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all,

Thought that I would post a quick update as I was away on holidays. The exam went a little better this time around. Here's my breakdown:

IR - 8
AWA - 5
Q - 42
V - 38

I'll be honest, I thought that I had totally bombed the exam. I ran into some timing issues on both quant and verbal, and had to dump a few questions. After taking the test a second time I noticed that I get too nervous about missing questions, and solve them slower than I do on practice exams. While taking practice exams, I never run into timing issues, and believe it is because I know a poor score on a practice CAT won't be the death of me.

Also, after further reflection, I personally believe the actual quant section had a difficulty similar to the MGMAT quant sections as compared to the GMATPrep quant sections. But again this is my own opinion.

After all, I was very surprised to see 660 flash on my screen as I thought I had definitely thrown the exam in the can. I know that I could do better if I calmed myself down and practiced better time management, but hopefully this score will get me into BYU's Marriott School. We'll see how it goes!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '17
Send PM
mdlyman

Congrats!

A 70 point jump from test to test is awesome :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mdlyman,

A 660/Q42 is a strong performance (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so I can assure you that you are in range of BYU's Marriott School. Remember that the GMAT is just one part of the overall application, so you have to put in the necessary time and effort on the other parts to make sure that you're "marketing" yourself correctly. To that end, you might find it worthwhile to post some questions to the Admissions Experts on this site - I'm sure that they can offer some advice on how to best proceed.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mdlyman,

A 660/Q42 is a strong performance (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so I can assure you that you are in range of BYU's Marriott School. Remember that the GMAT is just one part of the overall application, so you have to put in the necessary time and effort on the other parts to make sure that you're "marketing" yourself correctly. To that end, you might find it worthwhile to post some questions to the Admissions Experts on this site - I'm sure that they can offer some advice on how to best proceed.

Rich

Thanks for the advice, Rich. I've done a lot of consulting with present BYU students, the ad comm, and professors in order to help me polish up my application and tell my story. Hopefully I'll hear some good news in 5-7 weeks, but I feel like I have some decent backup plans if things don't play out as I hope.

There's a part of me that knows I could have scored at least a little better on the GMAT, but I am content and recognize that 660 is a score that can help open doors. I never had dreams of hitting 730 and going to HBS or Stanford, just have always wanted to put together a solid performance.
GMAT Club Bot