Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test Prep Guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Test Prep Guidance [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 02:22
Hello all,

First time poster, any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated. A bit of background I am shooting to take the test in mid to late August this year. Thus far I have spent about a month reading through the MGMAT books and am through the first four books. I did take a MGMAT class about 15 months ago but did not take the test due to job change, etc. diagnostic CAT score 590 and my goal is 710. I feel my basic computation skills are sufficient.

My prep has been consistented of reading the books completing all questions including OG 12. I have also taken to practicing questions (general quant) from the forum through the app. I am consistently scoring 60-70% on the 700+ questions and some of them seem to take me 3-4.5 mins to solve.

Where I am looking for feedback is to what I can do to "sharpen" my prep? It seems like I am just somewhat going down a path with a goal but no clear direction. Any feedback on how to sharpen the focus or a more detailed plan woul be great. I know one area I need to work is probability and combinations any thoughts on materials to help there would be appreciated.

Please disregard any typos as I am typing on an iPhone and have fat fingers.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 5

Re: Test Prep Guidance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 05:27
Expert's post
This is a very common question...so common that I just answered it 2 minutes ago :)

Here was my earlier response to the same question:

To get to your target score you need a solid study plan. Unfortunately, it's difficult to provide you with your ideal study plan because everyone's plan is unique. However, because this is a question that everyone has, we've written lots of articles that discuss how you can create an individualized study plan.

This article discusses how to study in general and provides links to excellent articles on developing a plan, evaluating results and reviewing work:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... tudy-list/

This article is very helpful if you find yourself struggling in your GMAT prep:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

If you have specific questions after reviewing these materials, please let me know.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1035

Kudos [?]: 4508 [0], given: 162

Re: Test Prep Guidance [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 01:43
Expert's post
goalieman688 wrote:
Hello all,

First time poster, any feedback and thoughts would be appreciated. A bit of background I am shooting to take the test in mid to late August this year. Thus far I have spent about a month reading through the MGMAT books and am through the first four books. I did take a MGMAT class about 15 months ago but did not take the test due to job change, etc. diagnostic CAT score 590 and my goal is 710. I feel my basic computation skills are sufficient.

My prep has been consistented of reading the books completing all questions including OG 12. I have also taken to practicing questions (general quant) from the forum through the app. I am consistently scoring 60-70% on the 700+ questions and some of them seem to take me 3-4.5 mins to solve.

Where I am looking for feedback is to what I can do to "sharpen" my prep? It seems like I am just somewhat going down a path with a goal but no clear direction. Any feedback on how to sharpen the focus or a more detailed plan woul be great. I know one area I need to work is probability and combinations any thoughts on materials to help there would be appreciated.

Please disregard any typos as I am typing on an iPhone and have fat fingers.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

The following are the basic steps which need to be incorporated in a detailed study plan:
1. Go through all the material of any one test prep company so that you know you have covered your basics.
2. Figure out areas you are still weak in.
3. Get specific material for those areas and work on them.
4. Practice a fixed number of questions of each sub section on a regular basis.

As for Probability and Combinations, you can check out the Veritas P&C book. It discusses all you need to know in P&C for GMAT.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Test Prep Guidance   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2012, 01:43