Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Test strategy- First 10-15 questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Test strategy- First 10-15 questions [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2003, 23:44
I am little confused about the weight of the first ~10 questions.
A) I understand how CAT work. But I need some practical tips. My dilemma is how much time should I spend on first 10 questions. If I spend little more time to answer first 10 questions & I have to guess last couple of questions. Is it OK? In other words a 1 right answer at the expence of 2-3 wrong at the end. Is it worth it?
B) Lets say for verbal section I get first 5 questions wrong & another 5 questions wrong in rest of the sections, what will be my approx score? I am trying to find out how much weight does these first few questions has?
C) Does the practice tests provided by kaplan, Crack-GMAT & ETS Powerprep take the answers to the first few questions into considerations while showing the score? From my kaplan experience, I am getting score proportional to how many correct anwsers I got irrespective of how many right/wrong I got in the beginning.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7580 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Test strategy- First 10-15 questions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2003, 21:32
Expert's post
schaudha wrote:
I am little confused about the weight of the first ~10 questions.
A) I understand how CAT work. But I need some practical tips. My dilemma is how much time should I spend on first 10 questions. If I spend little more time to answer first 10 questions & I have to guess last couple of questions. Is it OK? In other words a 1 right answer at the expence of 2-3 wrong at the end. Is it worth it?
B) Lets say for verbal section I get first 5 questions wrong & another 5 questions wrong in rest of the sections, what will be my approx score? I am trying to find out how much weight does these first few questions has?
C) Does the practice tests provided by kaplan, Crack-GMAT & ETS Powerprep take the answers to the first few questions into considerations while showing the score? From my kaplan experience, I am getting score proportional to how many correct anwsers I got irrespective of how many right/wrong I got in the beginning.

A) You know, nobody knows, so really nobody has the right to say how much exactly the first questions are worth. The general belief is that they are more important since it is the Hard questions that are worth more and you get to the hard questions only after so many easy and middle ones, so if you mess up in the beginning it will take you longer, etc, etc. I am actually playing with powerprep right now to find out exactly whether it is worht to sacrifice the last few for the first one. If you are really nice, you can help me with this as we split the work. Otherwise, I will have to take 10-20 powerpreps on my own; not FUN.

B) Based on Princeton, you will get very little; 10 mistakes overall is a littel too heavy I think. But the first 5 will for sure kill you. Again, we can play together if you need the truth and want to help.

C)NO, only PowerPrep uses a unique and secret formula for scoring - none of the other companies really know it; they are just guessing.

BB
Re: Test strategy- First 10-15 questions   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2003, 21:32