Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Testing waters - profile evalutation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Testing waters - profile evalutation [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 13:53
Background: Female, Indian, born and brought up in Saudi Arabia,
Educational Background: UToronto 3.1 (Accounting and Economics), Wilfrid Laurier University 3.85 (Masters in Business Economics)
Professional Work Experience: one year in start up consulting company in Dubai as Business Analyst\Team lead for few small projects
Post Masters: 3 YRS Analyst-Associate (one promotion) at Mid Size consulting firm (Economic Consulting) in Toronto

Part time Work Experience: During UnderGrad PT Financial Assistant at University Dept, Research Assistant at Econ University Dept., Summer Analyst at Indian Transportation firm, Summer Analyst at Deloitte Saudi Arabia, during Masters TA for Econ Course, summer internship at government agency
GMAT:720 on practice tests, aiming for 750 (might be a stretch)
ECs: very involved in undergrad and grad (everything from student government, student center finance committee, Club VP etc). currently volunteering weekly at community center - mentoring children, running activities etc. Interests are foods blogs, fitness etc.

I might want to focus (in my essays) on my background (no money, came to Canada at 17 with no financial\parental support, attended large university with no guidance). Epiphany I had the year after graduation really put me on track in life. I realized that during my undergrad and the horrible experience I had I had not one single ambition or dream. Post undergrad became very very determined and ambition.

Post MBA aspirations:

Would love to work on management consulting or in Corporate Strategy at a large MNC for 5-10 years before I start my own company.

Strengths: Good GMAT Score and Masters GPA. Lots of PT work as well ECs. Worked in India, Dubai, Saudi Arabia and Canada?? Maybe Strength.
Weakness: 4 Years of Total work experience and only one promotion at current place (in my three yrs here)

Given all this could you help me figure out a list of stretches, sweet spots and back ups. I'm open to moving to the States or Europe.
At this point I'm open to suggestions. Ofcourse I would like to aim for the best but I'm realistic at the same time.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Testing waters - profile evalutation [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 17:14
Hi there, I think you have fairly strong profile for the top school. Your undergrad marks will be a small concern, but if you can nail that 750 all's good! (even a 720 as you mentioned would be fine as well). Because of your international experience, look at INSEAD who adores folks with great international experience. LBS is another awesome school that you should look at. Both of these schools attract top-notch MC companies and will help you get to where you want to go.

For the states, you have plenty of options (not saying you don't have options in Europe, but I know too little about it to make any informative suggestion).

Without knowing the type of environment that you want to be in, I recommend checking out Sloan, Kellogg, Tuck and Haas. All are top schools that put a lot of students into top consulting firms. Duke, Darden, and UMich are also great schools for consulting. Basically, any of the top schools in the states will get you close to where you want to be, and it will depend on how much legwork you're willing to put up. If you only want to work for top-notch consulting firms, I wouldn't recommend falling too far off the ladder on the ranking system.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Testing waters - profile evalutation   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2011, 17:14