Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Aug 2016, 18:31
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher

You may select 1 option
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Pune
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2006, 02:59
Hi Everyone,

I have an admit from Texas A&M Mays and Ohio Fisher. I am facing a decision problem between the two. I have to confirm this in the next couple of days

Ohio - Fisher - Admit with a schol of 15k USD. Close to 25% of the tution

Texas A&M Mays - Admit with resident status (instate fee) and a schol of USD 12K. This turns out to be very economical . I may end up paying less than 15k for entire tution - its a 16 months course

GMAT - 700
Work Ex - 2yrs and 7 months till date in IT - Top Indian S/W co

Post MBA - would like to get into consulting

I would appreciate if you could give me a comparison between the two based on what you know and the experiences you have heard about the two schools.
Both claim to have good placements for international students

Fisher is ranked higher than Mays.
However, I wish to know if the difference between the two is substantial enough to give up benefits that Mays has to offer ?

waiting for some inputs/suggestions from everyone.

Thanks a lot.
Kaushal
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 76
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2006, 13:26
I am a graduate of Texas A&M (engineering), so I know the May's program a bit. While you are correct that May's ranking is lower than Fisher but you need to put that in perspective of how old both of the programs are; May's is a relatively new program (or I should say it was overhauled (including naming it as May's) during my undergraduate at A&M). The opportunities that you will get as a graduate of A&M are tremendous (believe me), as A&M is a well respected in the south, as matter of fact around the globe. May's facilities are great and I know that May's has hired some excellent professors (one from MIT I think?). However, if you want to just go for the rankings, May's is no match for Fisher. Also remember that College Station is much more cheaper (and a pleasant city) to live in compared to Ohio (personal preference)

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Pune
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2006, 21:48
spiderman_xx wrote:
I am a graduate of Texas A&M (engineering), so I know the May's program a bit. While you are correct that May's ranking is lower than Fisher but you need to put that in perspective of how old both of the programs are; May's is a relatively new program (or I should say it was overhauled (including naming it as May's) during my undergraduate at A&M). The opportunities that you will get as a graduate of A&M are tremendous (believe me), as A&M is a well respected in the south, as matter of fact around the globe. May's facilities are great and I know that May's has hired some excellent professors (one from MIT I think?). However, if you want to just go for the rankings, May's is no match for Fisher. Also remember that College Station is much more cheaper (and a pleasant city) to live in compared to Ohio (personal preference)

Good Luck!


Thanks a lot spiderman_xx. Thanks for the valuable inputs

Regards,
Kaushal.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5163
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 71

Re: Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2006, 05:22
kaushalshah wrote:
spiderman_xx wrote:
I am a graduate of Texas A&M (engineering), so I know the May's program a bit. While you are correct that May's ranking is lower than Fisher but you need to put that in perspective of how old both of the programs are; May's is a relatively new program (or I should say it was overhauled (including naming it as May's) during my undergraduate at A&M). The opportunities that you will get as a graduate of A&M are tremendous (believe me), as A&M is a well respected in the south, as matter of fact around the globe. May's facilities are great and I know that May's has hired some excellent professors (one from MIT I think?). However, if you want to just go for the rankings, May's is no match for Fisher. Also remember that College Station is much more cheaper (and a pleasant city) to live in compared to Ohio (personal preference)

Good Luck!


Thanks a lot spiderman_xx. Thanks for the valuable inputs

Regards,
Kaushal.


Kaushalshah,

As Spiderman alluded to, both Mays and Fisher are regional schools, so which one you choose depends on where you want to work. Mays will help you in the South, Fisher in the Midwest. Both programs' graduates earn comparable salaries right out of school.

Mays is a substantially smaller program, which could mean a more communal learning experience but also a smaller alumni network to help place you. Ohio State has twice the international students that Mays does, which might suggest their placement office has more experience helping internatonal students find jobs.

Interestingly, Mays has the larger percentage of graduates entering consulting, but neither could be considered major consulting feeder schools (only 14-18% of their grads enter consulting). And while only one consulting firm hired one Mays graduate (according to BW's data), three consulting firms hired a total six grads. That tells me Fisher is the better bet for future consultants.

Weigh these data points, and consider where you want to work long-term and how important the tuition factor is.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Pune
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2006, 10:52
Thanks Paul.

Here is an update.
Ohio-Fisher re-evaluated my application for additional funding consideration and is now offering 30K schol. (15k each year)

:)
Kaushal
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5163
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 71

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2006, 21:10
kaushalshah wrote:
Thanks Paul.

Here is an update.
Ohio-Fisher re-evaluated my application for additional funding consideration and is now offering 30K schol. (15k each year)

:)
Kaushal


Kaushal,

Congratulations!

Good luck,
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

  [#permalink] 15 Apr 2006, 21:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Texas MBA Profile Review navynuke 1 03 Apr 2014, 19:43
Looking at California and Texas MBA programs apple89 7 30 Nov 2013, 22:55
Experts publish their posts in the topic URGENT HELP! HEC MiM Grand Ecole Vs MFE Oxford souravdawn 1 12 Mar 2012, 10:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA Telethon May 26 Accepted.com 2 06 May 2010, 17:24
WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY srujanamehra 0 22 Oct 2009, 03:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Texas A&M Mays v/s Ohio - Fisher

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.