Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thank god I got a 700!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Thank god I got a 700!! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 14:06
I can’t believe I’m done with this damn test! I left the test site an hour ago and I’m still on cloud 9. Although I was aiming for a 720, I scored a 700. I am really happy with my score. I did make several mistakes during my GMAT journey and hopefully someone won’t make the same mistakes I did.

I’ve been studying off and on for the past year but whenever I got close to start taking practice exams “life happened”. My father passed away last year then I received a promotion, which made me dedicate more time than I expected. Overall my GMAT experience has lasted over a year, which means I had to take the new integrated reasoning section.

Don’t do this! Make sure you can dedicate 4+ months to your studying so you can take it right when you’re ready. Over the past year, I’ve felt ready multiple times but never set a date to take the exam. Because the schools I’m applying to have their deadlines next week, I had to take the exam now. Don’t follow in my footsteps – take the exam before you start applying to B-school so you can not only focus on your essays but you can focus on your preparation.
My practice exam test scores are as follows:

MGMAT 1 – 7/12/11 – 630 (Q 44 V 31)
MGMAT -2 – 11/4/12 – 690 (Q45 V 38)
MGMAT 3 – 12/9/12 – 630 (Q46 V 31)
MGMAT 4 –12/12/12 - 630 – (Q46 V 31)
MGMAT 5 – 12/27/12 600 – (Q46 V 29)
GMAT PREP 1 – 12/28/12 - 690 (Q48 V 37)

Actual GMAT - 12/29/12 - 700 (Q48 V 38)

After every exam I analyzed at all my answers, attempting to figure out what I did wrong and how I could use my time wisely. I thought I was making a huge dent in my knowledge gaps but according to the MGMAT exams, I was lacking in several things, especially Sentence Correction. I really question the validity of MGMATs practice exams - their math sections were very hard, especially to only score in the mid-40s. Their materials are great though and you should definitely use them to study.

While studying, I was confused to see my score decrease because I went through the MGMAT SC twice and each time I thought I learnt something.
I really started to flip out two weeks ago when I saw a huge decline in my score. I started to doubt if I was ready for the exam and if I should bother applying to the schools I selected (Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Yale). In mid-december i scheduled my exam for the 28th. After my practice exam on the 12th, I rescheduled. I'm happy that I did I was still having a SC problem but this time CR was a problem as well. I took the next week to focus on my weaknesses. I downloaded the CR and SC question bank from GMAT Club and went to work. I literally did every single question twice. This really helped. I can’t over-emphasize how important this was for my score. Instead of guessing on SC’s, I knew what to look for in the right answers, and better yet, how to eliminate the wrong answers. On my last practice exam, I didn’t know what to expect but when I saw my score, I knew I was back on track.

Test Day:
AWA – This was easy for me as a native English speaker. I focused on what holes were present in the argument and listed several ways to strengthen it. I didn’t have much time to review my essay but I should receive a 4-5. Will update later
IR – I only started studying for this section of the exam last week so I don’ have much to offer. What I will say is that I approached these problems similar to how I approached the RC and CR questions – write down important information/descriptions. My time management was fine and I started seeing some very difficult questions towards the end, which boosted my confidence.

I took the first break. I ate some food, drank a protein shake, and went to the bathroom. Unfortunately, I overestimated the amount of time I had and returned to the quant section 2 minutes late (?!).

Quant – even though I got to the exam late, I didn’t panic. For the past two days I reminded myself to breathe and that I put in over 100 hrs studying for the exam – I should be able to make up for the missing time within the first 4 questions. Which I did – I think I finished the first 4 questions in only 3 minutes. However, around question 18-20, things got really hard. Remembering that I didn’t have as much time as I thought, I guessed on several questions after only working on them for a minute. I didn’t regain confidence until I got to the mid-20s but when I saw questions that I recognized. However, I got scared when I started seeing easy questions. I definitely thought I was on the path of a 44-45. Thankfully I was wrong.

Verbal – I WAS LATE AGAIN! But thankfully only by 30 seconds, which is totally manageable. If I was late by 2 minutes like I was with the Math, I would have been screwed. I wish I estimated the time better during my practice exams. When you study for the GMAT, make sure you time your breaks. I didn’t do this and no, I didn’t pay for it but I got lucky. Who knows, maybe I would have gotten higher if I had timed my breaks better.

After all the prep I did on CR and SC, I knew how to break down questions. I merely went with the flow and clicked on what I could prove on the CRs. For the SC, I did use some logic but I my stategy was to get more than 50% of them right. I’m pretty sure I did that. For RC I had, or at least it felt like, 2 long passages and 1 medium one. I don’t remember seeing any short passages at all. I didn’t know if this was a good sign or a bad.
When I finished the test, I didn’t know what to expect. I knew I didn’t score a 650 but I didn’t know if I broken the 700 barrier. My 700 was a VERY happy surprise.

Things to consider

1) I didn’t take any prep classes but there were times that I wish I did, at least for the SC questions. If you have a really weak section, don’t try to hide or
compensate for it by trying to be perfect on the other questions. Address it head on and make it a strength. I think this is what kept me from getting a 720.

2) I echo other’s thoughts on postponing the exam if you aren’t ready. Originally I scheduled the exam for yesterday. If I didn’t reschedule, I wouldn’t have scored as highly as I did.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Thank god I got a 700!!   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 14:06