Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thank you to recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 00:22
Should I say thank you/gift or send a application status update to my recommenders after getting all denied?

I applied to about 4 schools this year and got all denied (some after interview). Even though I thanked my recommenders through email promptly within a day after they submitted my last recommendation, I have not sent them any application update after that for obvious reasons.

I think that letting them know of my application status update even when it is a reject is the courteous thing to do. However, saying thank you or sending gift for their effort when the outcome is reject does not seem right. Anybody here in the same boat?

I have not seen much gifting for recommendations in the industry I work in, hi tech. Some of the gift ideas on this forum like wines and jewelery - are they acceptable and appropriate, esp since the recommender is someone who is expected to appraise you and such gift giving can under certain situations be seen as inappropriate.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 09:25
You should send them a thank you regardless of the outcome. You are thanking them for the time and effort they put in to the recommendations, not for a specific outcome. Even though they may be expected to evaluate you at work, filling out recommendations for bschool goes over and above this and is something they are doing voluntarily. How much to spend on a gift is up to you, but in my view not sending anything at all would be pretty inconsiderate.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton R2 (ding),HBS R2(matric), Kellogg R2(admit), NYU R2 (withdrawn), Haas R2 (withdrawn), LBS R2(admit)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 10:09
I would absolutely get them a thank you gift, or at the very minimum, a thank you card. Writing recommendations takes a lot of time and effort (I've done it for others, so I know how much work it can be if done right). As the previous poster mentioned, regardless of the outcome, you should thank them for their time and effort. I bought gifts for my recommenders that matched their interests: I train for triathlons with two of my recommenders, so I bought them triathlon gear they'd been interested in; another is a big fan of nice scotch, so I bought him a bottle of his favourite brand; the other loves travel and guitar music, so I bought him a travel book and some great guitar music.

If gifts are not appropriate given your relationship / culture, then perhaps just a hand-written note and a sincere thanks? The acknowledgement of the time and effort is the most important, not the price / extravagance of the gift.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 17:55
I think a gift of some sort is pretty much non-negotiable, regardless of the admissions outcome. You want to show them that you appreciate the time they took to help you out, particularly if you think you may be looking for recommenders for next year's applications. Even if you're not reapplying, they still deserve that courtesy. It doesn't have to be expensive--at matticus said, something relatively cheap that fits one of their interests and shows some thoughtfulness on your part is enough.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 12

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 18:21
thats an absolute new thing to me

...but wont gifts look like affecting their reco

some of the more ethical ones can mind as well

emont wrote:
I think a gift of some sort is pretty much non-negotiable, regardless of the admissions outcome. You want to show them that you appreciate the time they took to help you out, particularly if you think you may be looking for recommenders for next year's applications. Even if you're not reapplying, they still deserve that courtesy. It doesn't have to be expensive--at matticus said, something relatively cheap that fits one of their interests and shows some thoughtfulness on your part is enough.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 18:31
I don't see it as an ethical issue in any way. And what do you mean "affecting their reco"? It's not like you're using a gift as a bribe in exchange for a stronger recommendation next year, you're just thanking them for the time they took to help you out.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 18:36
perception game....may be culture issue...

I cant imagine giving anything to my professor for this...he will surely not like it

but 4 colleagues in office....might be ok...that too after the reco is submitted

lets close it here...different things work differently for different people at different places....and thats the only difference
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 19:12
Ok, I didn't consider the cultural angle. I guess in some cultures a tangible gift may be inappropriate. What about something like taking the recommender out to lunch or dinner? If that's still too much, just go with a handwritten thank you card and you should be fine.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 21:48
@emont +1
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, USC, Haas, NYU
WE 1: 2 years M&A
WE 2: 5 years Equity Research

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 04:33
A little something is certainly in order. For what it is worth, I did a bundle of cigars for one and picked up the tab at a steakhouse for the other. No need to do anything over the top. Just something that says I appreciate the time and effort you put into writing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Thank you to recommenders [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 09:09
one should def. send a thank you gift. Most important.. I am working on mine as we speak :)
Re: Thank you to recommenders   [#permalink] 31 May 2011, 09:09