Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2004, 20:22
Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be useful to us :-D .

Is 75/(Z+1) an integer?

1. Z is a multiple of 75.

2. 0 <= Z <=75.

Explanation to this question in the site is given below.

Explanation

Statement 1 states that Z is one of the following: -75, 0, 75, 150, etc
it is not sufficient since when Z is 0, the expression is an integer, in all other cases it is not. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 gives a range of numbers where again, the expression may or may not be an integer (e.g. 4 and 5). INSUFFICIENT.

Combining both statements together, z can be 0 or 75 - sufficient.

Although, I did it wrong, I am not able to accept the answer C. The problem is if Z is 0, 75/(0+1) = 75. Integer; sufficient to say yes. However, if Z is 75, the answer is 75/(75+1) = 75/76 . Not an integer. However, here it is sufficient to say No. Therefore, for the answer has to be E. Can some one help me to understand whether I am wrong or the challenge question's explantaion is wrong?

Thanks.
_________________

gmat2004

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: April-June GMAT Club Challenge Question 5 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2004, 23:51
dhandaydham wrote:
Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be useful to us :-D .

Is 75/(Z+1) an integer?

1. Z is a multiple of 75.

2. 0 <= Z <=75.

Explanation to this question in the site is given below.

Explanation

Statement 1 states that Z is one of the following: -75, 0, 75, 150, etc
it is not sufficient since when Z is 0, the expression is an integer, in all other cases it is not. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 gives a range of numbers where again, the expression may or may not be an integer (e.g. 4 and 5). INSUFFICIENT.

Combining both statements together, z can be 0 or 75 - sufficient.

Although, I did it wrong, I am not able to accept the answer C. The problem is if Z is 0, 75/(0+1) = 75. Integer; sufficient to say yes. However, if Z is 75, the answer is 75/(75+1) = 75/76 . Not an integer. However, here it is sufficient to say No. Therefore, for the answer has to be E. Can some one help me to understand whether I am wrong or the challenge question's explantaion is wrong?

Thanks.


Yes, I answered E as well, you are right, dhandaydham. This happened to me too.
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78716

CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2004, 09:45
Hi Emmanuel


Thanks for letting me know that. I am new to the forum. Hope to contribute to the forum.

Thanks
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12349
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: April-June GMAT Club Challenge Question 5 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2004, 13:37
Expert's post
dhandaydham wrote:
Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be useful to us :-D .

Is 75/(Z+1) an integer?

1. Z is a multiple of 75.

2. 0 <= Z <=75.

Explanation to this question in the site is given below.

Explanation

Statement 1 states that Z is one of the following: -75, 0, 75, 150, etc
it is not sufficient since when Z is 0, the expression is an integer, in all other cases it is not. INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 gives a range of numbers where again, the expression may or may not be an integer (e.g. 4 and 5). INSUFFICIENT.

Combining both statements together, z can be 0 or 75 - sufficient.

Although, I did it wrong, I am not able to accept the answer C. The problem is if Z is 0, 75/(0+1) = 75. Integer; sufficient to say yes. However, if Z is 75, the answer is 75/(75+1) = 75/76 . Not an integer. However, here it is sufficient to say No. Therefore, for the answer has to be E. Can some one help me to understand whether I am wrong or the challenge question's explantaion is wrong?

Thanks.



Thank you for catching it.
My appologies, I failed to catch it when I was going through it.

Actually Kpadma was the first to catch it. The scores have been modified to reflect this change. We will start a discussion specifically for the challenge and will appreciate reports of any inconsistencies.

-Thank you.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2004, 18:45
probably a stupid question, but how is 0 a multiple of 75.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2004, 21:44
Maneesh wrote:
probably a stupid question, but how is 0 a multiple of 75.


Maneesh, you forgot about Z+1 = 1 in the lower part of the fraction.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 19:08
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probably a stupid question, but how is 0 a multiple of 75.


Zero is an even integer and considered as a multiple of all the numbers. For example multiples of 5 means, 5, 10, 15, 20 so on. That is, 5 is multiplied by 1, 2, 3, 4, so on. In the same way, if you multiply 5 x 0 (the first integer) the value is zero. Remember this point. I was also perplexed first by this. However, I learned it slowly. Last some points for not knowing this in my diagnostic test.
_________________

gmat2004

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 19:12
dhandaydham wrote:
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probably a stupid question, but how is 0 a multiple of 75.


Zero is an even integer and considered as a multiple of all the numbers. For example multiples of 5 means, 5, 10, 15, 20 so on. That is, 5 is multiplied by 1, 2, 3, 4, so on. In the same way, if you multiply 5 x 0 (the first integer) the value is zero. Remember this point. I was also perplexed first by this. However, I learned it slowly. Last some points for not knowing this in my diagnostic test.


No, zero is not a multiple of every non-zero integer, because 5 != 0*z, there is no z, such that: 5 = 0*z..!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: April-June GMAT Club Challenge Question 5 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 19:18
bb wrote:

Thank you for catching it.
My appologies, I failed to catch it when I was going through it.

Actually Kpadma was the first to catch it. The scores have been modified to reflect this change. We will start a discussion specifically for the challenge and will appreciate reports of any inconsistencies.

-Thank you.


Thanks for the forum and bringing in the challenge question section. I am a novice here. I hope to learn, and help others to learn while I learn.
_________________

gmat2004

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 19:24
Emmanuel wrote:

No, zero is not a multiple of every non-zero integer, because 5 != 0*z, there is no z, such that: 5 = 0*z..!


I could not understand. Do you mind to explain it?
_________________

gmat2004

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Ukraine, Russia(part-time)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2004, 19:35
dhandaydham wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:

No, zero is not a multiple of every non-zero integer, because 5 != 0*z, there is no z, such that: 5 = 0*z..!


I could not understand. Do you mind to explain it?



BY DEFINITION: a is divided by b if and only if there exists such k - integer, that a = k*b.

5 is divided by 0 if and only if there exists such k - integer, that 5 = 0*k = 0!!! => 5 is NOT divided by 0!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2004, 06:36
Emmanuel: then how can you say that from 1st statement the value of Z can be Zero.
As per (1) Z is a multiple of 75 and if Z=0 then is it feasible that still Z is a multiple of 75, bit confused here. I would have picked (A) as the answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2004
Posts: 11
Location: Raleigh
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2004, 12:16
Emmanuel wrote:
dhandaydham wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:

No, zero is not a multiple of every non-zero integer, because 5 != 0*z, there is no z, such that: 5 = 0*z..!


I could not understand. Do you mind to explain it?



BY DEFINITION: a is divided by b if and only if there exists such k - integer, that a = k*b.

5 is divided by 0 if and only if there exists such k - integer, that 5 = 0*k = 0!!! => 5 is NOT divided by 0!


Well, if you divide 5 by zero the answer is infinite. Let me put the question in a different way. If zero is not considered as a multiple of every non-zero integer, for what non-zero integers you can consider zero is a multiple? In the explanation for the first statement they give zero is a multiple for 75. In other explanations too, I have seen zero is used as a multiple. Probably, you might be explaining some exceptions. Can you go a little bit down and explain things with some numbers so that we all can understand what you are saying? I hope I am not asking too much of your time. Thanks
_________________

gmat2004

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Posts: 204
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2004, 13:34
OK..Emmanuel
You wrote the following...

BY DEFINITION: a is divided by b if and only if there exists such k - integer, that a = k*b.

5 is divided by 0 if and only if there exists such k - integer, that 5 = 0*k = 0!!! => 5 is NOT divided by 0!

My conclusion is that
0 is not a multiple of 5. (Is it right or wrong)
what if i replace 5 by 75 here???????????

Answer the following in Y/N
1. 0 is a multiple of 5 (Y/N)
2. 0 is a multiple of 75 (Y/N)

Thanks in advance.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 445
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2004, 20:38
mdfrahim wrote:
OK..Emmanuel
You wrote the following...

BY DEFINITION: a is divided by b if and only if there exists such k - integer, that a = k*b.

5 is divided by 0 if and only if there exists such k - integer, that 5 = 0*k = 0!!! => 5 is NOT divided by 0!

My conclusion is that
0 is not a multiple of 5. (Is it right or wrong)
what if i replace 5 by 75 here???????????

Answer the following in Y/N
1. 0 is a multiple of 5 (Y/N)
2. 0 is a multiple of 75 (Y/N)

Thanks in advance.....


Answer the following in Y/N
1. 0 is a multiple of 5 (Y) bcoz 5*0 = 0
2. 0 is a multiple of 75 (Y) bcoz 75*0 = 0

hope that makes sense ;-)

- ash
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2004, 20:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Not sure if I am ready or not? gmatter0913 1 14 Jan 2012, 06:51
I think I used the right method but not sure why I am wrong! darlameow 3 14 Aug 2008, 16:47
I recently got the access to the challenges.I am not sure dreamgmat1 0 18 Jun 2007, 18:36
I am not sure how the correct answer is arrived at. Thank Nsentra 4 30 Oct 2006, 18:40
1 I am going through the challenges in the archives. So far I rkatl 1 12 Jul 2006, 06:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Thanks for challenging us. I am sure it is going to be

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.