Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thanks for the profile evaluation!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Thanks for the profile evaluation! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 16:38
Originally from Palo Alto, California, now located in Northern Virginia
Graduated from the College of William & Mary, 2008
BBA in Marketing, Minor in Philosophy, Concentration in Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.36
Undergrad Business School GPA: 3.64
GMAT: 760, 49Q 45V, 6.0AWA

I have 3 years of experience in the wine industry in a Marketing Coordinator role for a nationally-distributed, family-owned winery (plus a few months of work in the cellar, pitching yeast and filling wine barrels), and not quite a year of experience with a major beer distributor in a sales position, with both on- and off-premise experience. I am a Certified Cicerone (beer sommelier) and a National-level BJCP beer judge--both required months of studying and a 4-hour written exam for each. I enjoy homebrewing and beer judging, as well as whitewater rafting, sailing, snowboarding, and lacrosse.

I need help paring down my list of schools to apply to. I need to schedule some campus visits to feel sure of my final list, but at this point I could definitely use a reality check on whether my reach/target/backup list is within reason.

Currently interested in (and my best guess for how badass I am):
Harvard -- Reach
Stanford -- Reach
Booth -- Reach
Wharton -- Reach
Columbia -- Reach
MIT Sloan -- Reach
Kellogg -- Reach
Haas -- Target
NYU -- Target
Yale -- Target
UCLA Anderson -- Safety
Georgetown -- Safety (mostly because I love DC)

My dream job is to be the Director of Marketing for Sierra Nevada. Or Pixar. Or maybe go the entirely opposite direction and jump into financial advising/startup consulting/VC. I know, I need to get my story straight before I start writing applications.

What do you think--can you help me knock 4 schools off that list?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Thanks for the profile evaluation! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 16:04
Expert's post
Hi, Mike,

Thanks for your post. Yes, you are right that you need to refine your career goals to find the right program for you. You probably want to focus on paring down the schools you consider reach. Once you have identified your career direction, determine any geographic considerations in terms of access to companies. Think if you would be comfortable with the quantitative focus of a Booth or MIT. Do you want the on campus experience of a Yale or urban environment of New York City? Think about your other criteria (program size, teaching style) to help you narrow further. You will get a better sense of the program and culture fit once you visit to come up with the right one for you.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php