Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 16:37
Hi Linda, Paul,

Would like to thank you in advance for a profile evaluation. Your insight would be great!

Personal Background
1. Age: about to turn 26
2. Gender: Male
3. Ethnicity: Asian American

Academic Background
Combined M.S. and B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Northwestern University
B.S. - 3.71 GPA, graduated cum Laude
M.S. – 3.64 GPA

Work Experience
3 years of consulting experience at Fortune 500 global IT consulting firm. Combines IT systems integration development experience with client facing design work. Extensive experience coordinating with offshore teams.
• 2007 – 2008: Worked as Business Analyst designing data protection application that was adapted company wide. Received Inventor Award and in application for U.S. patent.
• 2008 – 2009: Worked as Business Intelligence application developer in $200 million government project.
• 2009 fall: Led day to day assessment effort of business intelligence platform for large East Coast pharmaceutical firm; coordinated onshore and offshore teams.
• 2009 – 2010: Worked as Business Analyst designing performance management applications; day to day client facing work with senior managers as well as extensive offshore coordination.
• Received promotion during economic down year (2009)

GMAT
Not taken yet. Plan to take in August/early fall. Realistically should score around 650 – 720 range given some study.

Extracurriculars/Leadership/Volunteering
College (2005-2007) – membership in Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, AIESEC, winner of scholastic writing award, second place in university design competition
International (2006) – Volunteered for health and environment NGO in India; did extensive field research interviewing mine workers in Rajasthan and documenting case studies.
Work(2009-2010) – serving as Community Action Team Lead within company’s local office

Motivation for MBA and Post MBA goals
Combine previous IT work experience with business/management skills gained from MBA for a future career managing a Green Technology firm. Hope to eventually start my own Green Technology business. Intended concentration is entrepreneurship.

Target Schools:
1st tier: Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Chicago
2nd tier: University of Illinois Champaign Urbana, Wisconsin, Indiana
Other schools considered: Michigan, Berkeley, Stern, UCLA

Questions:
1. Is my profile strong enough to warrant a realistic shot at one of the top tier business schools this coming application year (2010-2011)?
2. If you think I have a realistic chance, what areas in my profile should I emphasis in the application?
3. If you think I should wait for another year, what areas should I work on in order to strengthen my profile?
4. I am studying for GMAT right now and hope to take the test sometime in August. Hope to do well the first try, but just in case I need to take it a second time, what are B-schools’ views on a candidate’s taking the GMAT more than 1 time?
5. Are there any other realistic schools/programs that you would recommend based on my profile?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
pinecrest,

1. Is my profile strong enough to warrant a realistic shot at one of the top tier business schools this coming application year (2010-2011)?
You may have a shot at Michigan and UCLA, depending on how much leadership we could identify in your professional and extracurricular work. You should have no trouble getting into Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana. I don't think Stanford, MIT, Kellogg, Chicago, Haas, or Stern are realistic.

2. If you think I have a realistic chance, what areas in my profile should I emphasis in the application?
Well, your question mark is leadership, so I think you need to show them that you have it in abundance. You may want to look at Accepted.com's special report on Leadership.

3. If you think I should wait for another year, what areas should I work on in order to strengthen my profile?
You are at the right age to apply, i.e., waiting another year may hurt you a little unless you realistically anticipate ramping up the leadership at and outside of work in the next year. Your profile is certainly a solid one, but there is little distinctive about it (from what you gave me), and there are question marks about leadership. So if you wait you should get aggressive about the leadership profile

4. I am studying for GMAT right now and hope to take the test sometime in August. Hope to do well the first try, but just in case I need to take it a second time, what are B-schools’ views on a candidate’s taking the GMAT more than 1 time?
They have no problem whatsoever with people taking the GMAT 2 or 3 times. Beyond that they wonder at your priorities.

5. Are there any other realistic schools/programs that you would recommend based on my profile?
Babson, USC, UNC, Washington (Olin), and Texas are all well ranked in entrepreneurship and I think you would be competitive at all of them.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 14:44
Thanks Paul for the honest assessment. Really appreciate the insight! :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 15:00