Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink]
08 Jun 2010, 17:37
Hi Linda, Paul,
Would like to thank you in advance for a profile evaluation. Your insight would be great!
Personal Background 1. Age: about to turn 26 2. Gender: Male 3. Ethnicity: Asian American
Academic Background Combined M.S. and B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Northwestern University B.S. - 3.71 GPA, graduated cum Laude M.S. – 3.64 GPA
Work Experience 3 years of consulting experience at Fortune 500 global IT consulting firm. Combines IT systems integration development experience with client facing design work. Extensive experience coordinating with offshore teams. • 2007 – 2008: Worked as Business Analyst designing data protection application that was adapted company wide. Received Inventor Award and in application for U.S. patent. • 2008 – 2009: Worked as Business Intelligence application developer in $200 million government project. • 2009 fall: Led day to day assessment effort of business intelligence platform for large East Coast pharmaceutical firm; coordinated onshore and offshore teams. • 2009 – 2010: Worked as Business Analyst designing performance management applications; day to day client facing work with senior managers as well as extensive offshore coordination. • Received promotion during economic down year (2009)
GMAT Not taken yet. Plan to take in August/early fall. Realistically should score around 650 – 720 range given some study.
Extracurriculars/Leadership/Volunteering College (2005-2007) – membership in Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, AIESEC, winner of scholastic writing award, second place in university design competition International (2006) – Volunteered for health and environment NGO in India; did extensive field research interviewing mine workers in Rajasthan and documenting case studies. Work(2009-2010) – serving as Community Action Team Lead within company’s local office
Motivation for MBA and Post MBA goals Combine previous IT work experience with business/management skills gained from MBA for a future career managing a Green Technology firm. Hope to eventually start my own Green Technology business. Intended concentration is entrepreneurship.
Target Schools: 1st tier: Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Chicago 2nd tier: University of Illinois Champaign Urbana, Wisconsin, Indiana Other schools considered: Michigan, Berkeley, Stern, UCLA
Questions: 1. Is my profile strong enough to warrant a realistic shot at one of the top tier business schools this coming application year (2010-2011)? 2. If you think I have a realistic chance, what areas in my profile should I emphasis in the application? 3. If you think I should wait for another year, what areas should I work on in order to strengthen my profile? 4. I am studying for GMAT right now and hope to take the test sometime in August. Hope to do well the first try, but just in case I need to take it a second time, what are B-schools’ views on a candidate’s taking the GMAT more than 1 time? 5. Are there any other realistic schools/programs that you would recommend based on my profile?
Re: Thanks in advance for a profile evaluation :) [#permalink]
09 Jun 2010, 12:09
This post received KUDOS
1. Is my profile strong enough to warrant a realistic shot at one of the top tier business schools this coming application year (2010-2011)? You may have a shot at Michigan and UCLA, depending on how much leadership we could identify in your professional and extracurricular work. You should have no trouble getting into Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana. I don't think Stanford, MIT, Kellogg, Chicago, Haas, or Stern are realistic.
2. If you think I have a realistic chance, what areas in my profile should I emphasis in the application? Well, your question mark is leadership, so I think you need to show them that you have it in abundance. You may want to look at Accepted.com's special report on Leadership.
3. If you think I should wait for another year, what areas should I work on in order to strengthen my profile? You are at the right age to apply, i.e., waiting another year may hurt you a little unless you realistically anticipate ramping up the leadership at and outside of work in the next year. Your profile is certainly a solid one, but there is little distinctive about it (from what you gave me), and there are question marks about leadership. So if you wait you should get aggressive about the leadership profile
4. I am studying for GMAT right now and hope to take the test sometime in August. Hope to do well the first try, but just in case I need to take it a second time, what are B-schools’ views on a candidate’s taking the GMAT more than 1 time? They have no problem whatsoever with people taking the GMAT 2 or 3 times. Beyond that they wonder at your priorities.
5. Are there any other realistic schools/programs that you would recommend based on my profile? Babson, USC, UNC, Washington (Olin), and Texas are all well ranked in entrepreneurship and I think you would be competitive at all of them.
Check out this awesome article about Anderson on Poets Quants, http://poetsandquants.com/2015/01/02/uclas-anderson-school-morphs-into-a-friendly-tech-hub/ . Anderson is a great place! Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I...