Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thanks to Everyone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2006, 10:55
Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Thought I'd post a bit about my prep.

First, I am probably one of the least qualified to give any really good advice for those who are weak in certain areas, because I took few, if any, methodical approaches to my studies (like I've noticed others have -- e.g., the (in)famous error log). I also took a class, which I feel most people I talk to do not do. If you're thinking about it though, I do highly recommend Manhattan GMAT. Their approach is the best that I've heard of, and although slightly lacking when it comes to the most difficult math (actually, really only probabilities -- I found other resources to study this area), the materials and classes were fantastic. I started with a relatively strong base (got a 650 on my first practice test, although I think the grading was a bit off), but breaking down each part of the exam in a systematic fashion was really helpful. If you have any experience with MGMAT guides, you'll know that they break out each subject area in pretty good detail; each week we focused on a different area, with corresponding problems from the OG. I think this approach is best because it helps you identify your weak areas pretty well (similar in fashion to an error log, I knew that I was lacking in my geometry skills at first, but not because of an error log, but because I did a whole bunch of geometry problems at once). Taking the classes really helped firm up the foundational skills for me.

Once I was done with the basics from the class, I took two tests a weekend for about a month, including:
-Original PowerPrep Software
-GMAT Prep (if you're improving, even a tiny bit, you can retake these tests, and will probably get mostly new questions -- I took each test twice)
-The free online Princeton Review test
-Old paper tests from ETS

I took an informal error log here, noting what subject area was holding me back (for awhile, this was sentence correction), and then focused on that area during the week. I had been strong in math most of the time, so I didn't spend a lot of time on that besides doing problems, but less focused approach -- tried to do all. Spending time in the GMATClub forums really helped. Posting my own reasoning really helped me solidify my knowledge; as they say, if you can't teach it, you don't know it.

I only took one timed section of AWA, which was scored by an unofficial grader. I did not spend any more time than this really -- composition has been a relative strong suit of mine, and I realized as long as it was above a 5, it mostly doesn't matter for schools.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for all of your help, and wish you all the best in your continued studies.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2006, 22:02
Thanks for your posting. I guess it will help many of us.

Best of luck for your application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 04:05
Congratulations on this awesome score.Good luck for your apps!!!!!!!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 May 2006, 11:30
jcgoodchild,
Congrats on the awesome score.> i wanted to know how did you find the mgmat course.. i am considering to take the course online... 9 week prep class..

i scored 660 on my first attemp(Q:50,V:29,AWA:5.5)
I really want to improve V from 29 to 40+.. Do you think this is worth every penny? 990 dollars?

thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 16:05
Outstanding score. Well done!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 05:39
Great score!!! jcgoodchild, curious....what were your test scores on your practice exams?
  [#permalink] 07 Jun 2006, 05:39