Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That educators have not anticipated the impact of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 04:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

85% (01:53) correct 15% (01:02) wrong based on 13 sessions
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
mbassmbass04 wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

Any one care to parse why each answer choice is right or wrong.

A, has pronouns that have no referrents [second that???].
E, dont need "the fact" - redundant. You can just say "That educators are at fault...."
C. the 2nd "it" has no specific referrents.

Between B and D, D definitely sounds more pleasant to the ears. Whats wrong with B?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 22:46
The colon is used to equate two parts of a sentence where the second part is dependent on the first part.

D will do nicely for the sentence. The first part of the sentence "It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology" is now independent, and the second part after the colon is dependent on this frist sentence.

I'll go with D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 23:05
gmataquaguy wrote:
mbassmbass04 wrote:

E, dont need "the fact" - redundant. You can just say "That educators are at fault...."

Between B and D, D definitely sounds more pleasant to the ears. Whats wrong with B?

problem with B:
"at fault" = open to blame : RESPONSIBLE [couldn't determine who was really at fault]

IMO the meaning of at fault doesn't fit into the sentence - someone can be at fault. I am not sure if I am clear - Not able to explain it grammatically!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 15:18
Vithal wrote:
gmataquaguy wrote:
mbassmbass04 wrote:

problem with B:
"at fault" = open to blame : RESPONSIBLE [couldn't determine who was really at fault]

IMO the meaning of at fault doesn't fit into the sentence - someone can be at fault. I am not sure if I am clear - Not able to explain it grammatically!

"At Fault" is used in the same context in both B and D. Can someone jump in to explain why B is wrong?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 14:01
OA please?? What is the grammatical reason that B is wrong?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 18:01
Bumping up this thread. OA please. Also any explanations on why B is wrong?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 20:19

Simplify to be:

Something (a fact, whatever) can't be said to be at fault ...

The point in the stem is that the educators are not at fault, not the fact itself not being at fault.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 09:48
B is awkward. "That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault " what/who is at fault?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- The impact of microcomputer [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 01:30
mbassmbass04 wrote:
[u]
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology.

Some one says that the 2nd it has no referent. OK. But if "it" is changed to "this", C would be right?
Anyone can help.

Regards,
Wunderbar03

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 23

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 05:42
mbassmbass04 wrote:

Option A and the underlined section in the question are not the same . I dont quiet get this. Can someone help clarify if this is common ? or , how do u read/interpret this ?

Jyothi hosamani

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:53
the educator is at fault

the action of educator is at falt.

if 2 abose stand alone, both are correct and logic.

similar case is

I like him learning english
I like his learning english

both above sentences are corect if they stand alone.

but when 2 cases above stand together, one of them must be wrong and gmat test us how to convey the intended meaning. one of the meaning will be the distorted meaning.

using common sense to realize the intended meaning, which is "educator at fault" not the action of educator at fault in B

we are often forced to face at leat 2 choices which are both logic and grammatical if they stand alone. we are forced to dicide which is intended meaning ,using common sense.

this is gmat way of thinking and how the test work.

pls comment
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 14:13
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Its not over yet!!!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1267

Kudos [?]: 3526 [0], given: 185

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 02:36
Expert's post
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Hi there,

Before we respond to your question, we would like to see your analysis of this question. This way, we can give you a more effective response based on your understanding of the question. Please attempt an analysis based on the three-step process.

I look forward to your response. :)

Thanks,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 15:36
Hi Meghna,

Here is my sentence analysis :

Meaning :
Sentence conveys 2 things:

1) It can hardly be said that it is educators fault that they have not anticipated the impact of micro-computer technology.
2) Alvin toffler being one of the most imp student of future, did not even mention MC in his book 'future shock', which was published in 1970

Sentence Structure :

That Educators have not anticipated ... said - DC ( Subj - That , V - can hardly be said )
That it is their fault - DC ( Subj - it , Verb - is )
Alvin Toffler,... 1970 - IC ( Subj - Alvin Toffler, V - did not mention )

Error Analysis:
Overall we have DC + DC ; IC
That is why I figured we have to somehow make "DC + DC ;" ( underlined ) an IC . But I donot fully understand why all the answer choices are wrong.

POE:
Looking for answers with IC:IC structure

A) Wrong because of structure DC+DC -> cant form an IC
B) Wrong again no IC just DC
c) IC
It can.. be said - IC
that it...educators - DC
who ... technology - DC
IC + DC +DC -> forms an IC
d) IC
it can.. be said - IC
that educators...technology - DC

IC + DC -> forms an IC
e) IC
the fact can be hardly said - IC
that educators are ...technology - DC
whole sentence is an IC

Since there are 3 answer choices that are ICs I got confused. so, I believe i want wrong somewhere in error analysis because I couldnt identify other errors. Meghna, Please help!

Its not over yet!!!

Last edited by freakygeek on 31 Mar 2014, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 16:34
Option D seems to be the best option amongst the answer choices.C is too wordy.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 07:29
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

Hi there,

Before we respond to your question, we would like to see your analysis of this question. This way, we can give you a more effective response based on your understanding of the question. Please attempt an analysis based on the three-step process.

Thanks,
Meghna

Hi Meghna,
Let me try to answer this and then correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd focus on C and D only as rest is either grammatically wrong or awkward.

There is a shuttle change in meaning between C and D, I think.
C narrows down the educators' set to only those who have not anticipated the impact. So, it could be that there are other educators as well who are not involved here...But the intended meaning is not the same, the sentence actually refers to the (all)educators without narrowing down the set...and D makes it clear.

Now, please share e-GMAT's awesome analysis and explanation :-)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 09:13
Hi Meghna,

Can you please respond to my analysis

Its not over yet!!!

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 03:21
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
egmat wrote:
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

Hi there,

Thanks,
Meghna

Hi Meghna,
Let me try to answer this and then correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd focus on C and D only as rest is either grammatically wrong or awkward.

There is a shuttle change in meaning between C and D, I think.
C narrows down the educators' set to only those who have not anticipated the impact. So, it could be that there are other educators as well who are not involved here...But the intended meaning is not the same, the sentence actually refers to the (all)educators without narrowing down the set...and D makes it clear.

Hi eGMAT,
Any update on this ? It's pretty long pending!

Would much appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1267

Kudos [?]: 3526 [0], given: 185

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 05:40
Expert's post
Hi @freakygeek,

This one slipped my attention - very sorry about that. :-/ Thanks @bagdbmba for the reminder.

Thanks @freakygeek for providing your detailed analysis as suggested. I really like how you've paid attention to the structure of your sentence, particularly for your analysis of option A: you are right that two DCs don't make an IC, and you can use that justification to eliminate option A. Having said that, I wouldn’t use sentence structure as the primary focus when eliminating options for this question. Each of the incorrect options has a meaning issue here. Let’s see how.

Option A: Incorrect, as you’ve pointed out.

Option B: Completely distorts the intended meaning. “That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology” is the subject of the verb “can hardly be said”. Logically, this statement can’t be said to be at fault. It’s the educators who aren’t at fault.

Option C: “Educators who have not anticipated” restricts the meaning to those educators who haven’t anticipated the impact of microcomputers. However, the intended meaning is that educators in general can’t be faulted, not that a certain group of educators can’t be faulted.

Let’s see how the meaning gets restricted here. Look at these examples:

• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: Only some students had done their homework. Only these students were given the notebooks.
• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students, who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: All the students referred to in the sentence had done their homework.

While these examples don't exactly correspond to the structure of this choice, I hope the meaning change is clear. "Educators, who have not..." means "all educators have not..." "Educators who have not..." means "some educators have not..."

Option D: Correct.

Option E: Again, this choice completely distorts the intended meaning. “The fact that educators are at fault” is misleading, since the point made by the sentence is that educators are NOT at fault. Moreover, ‘that fact’ is the subject of the verb ‘can hardly be said’. So, this choice says that “the fact… can hardly be said.” This meaning is illogical. If something is a fact, it’s already happened. So in other words, this choice is saying that the fact that educators are at fault has already happened, but it can hardly be said. There’s a serious meaning discrepancy here.

bagdbmba wrote:

@bagdbmba: I agree with your analysis of the meaning of option C: this option distorts the intended meaning of the original sentence, which refers to educators in general and not to a specific group.

I hope this analysis helps!

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 05:40