Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 21:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:10) correct 47% (01:04) wrong based on 153 sessions
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

1]That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

2]Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

3]Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

4]It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

5]The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 10 Apr 2014, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 1

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 01:51
1]That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

Correct

2]Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

Check ..are don’t agree. Hence incorrect

3]Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

“it” has no clear referent. Hence incorrect

4]It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

“It is of some importance that” is wordy. Hence incorrect

5]The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

“ the reason” and “because” convey the same meaning. Hence Incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 06:32
jade3 wrote:

Correct

Check ..are don’t agree. Hence incorrect

“it” has no clear referent. Hence incorrect

“ the reason” and “because” convey the same meaning. Hence Incorrect.

Very neat explanation by Jade. I'd like to add that in 4, 'them' can't refer to a possessive noun. So this is one additional reason for its rejection.

But I'm still not sure why you choose A over C. Your reasoning is correct but somehow I'm not convinced with A.

Last edited by honeyrai on 17 Feb 2010, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 337

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 07:07
hey I think Its C.

In A which is not referring to a Noun

C holds Good

Quote:
Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

im unable to explain but here it doesn't require a reference

One Final Try.......

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 337

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 07:10
can some one help me out !!!!

is my explanation given(above) to portrait A is wrong, is correct?

One Final Try.......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 1

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 23:28
RaviChandra wrote:
can some one help me out !!!!

is my explanation given(above) to portrait A is wrong, is correct?

"Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check"

The problem with the above part of the sentence,IMO, is the idiom “consider”. “consider” cannot be followed by anything.. Even if we think that “it” is a placeholder., “it” will be referring to “that all of their employees”.

So if we remove “it”, the sentence would be “Because they consider that all of their employees….”, which is wrong.

As a rule “consider” cannot be followed by placeholder “it” and “there” .

I hope this helps
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 6

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 08:57
jade3 wrote:
"Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check"

The problem with the above part of the sentence,IMO, is the idiom “consider”. “consider” cannot be followed by anything.. Even if we think that “it” is a placeholder., “it” will be referring to “that all of their employees”.

So if we remove “it”, the sentence would be “Because they consider that all of their employees….”, which is wrong.

As a rule “consider” cannot be followed by placeholder “it” and “there” .

I hope this helps

jade3, I think you are being a little too strict about the "consider" idiom.

All of the following are correct:
I consider him my friend and mentor.
They consider this task quite difficult.
The government considers non-payment of income tax a crime.
The government considers it a crime to not pay income tax.

The preferred idiom is "consider X Y," where X is a noun (a pronoun is OK!) and Y is a noun or adjective. You just want to avoid "consider X to be Y" or "consider X as Y."

jade3 wrote:

You were right to eliminate this for wordiness (and passive form). But the same wording was in (A), the choice you selected! :-)

RaviChandra wrote:
im unable to explain but here it doesn't require a reference

You are right, "it" is a dummy pronoun here and does not really refer to anything (except maybe the situation in general).

Some other examples:
It was a dark and stormy night when the ship set sail.
It may rain today.
It could be true that...

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by esledge on 07 Mar 2010, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:28
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 08:58
Hi all,

Let me explain why C is better than A (IMO):

some importance.....stringent background check - This part doesn't sound good. If it is of some importance then why the benks will go for stringent background checks?
which is why - I think it isincorrect in usage. WHICH requires a comma to separate the immediate noun it is referring to.

In cases involving BECAUSE [if a cause-effect relationship exists], try to place BECAUSE after the subject to check the continuity:
Investment banks, because they consider it important...., require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check.

Does the modifiers correctly modifies the nouns in the context? - YES.

Note - Use of it is correct here, as per the above sentence. It is allowed to place the pronoun before the noun if in the main clause is placed after the dependent clause.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Criminal [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 09:40
Quote:

I think "it" is the placeholder and doesn't refer to anything.

I vote for C. Most precise.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 08:28
Could someone share with us a thorough analysis of the answer choices please?
More specifically issues with usage of 'which is why' in answer choice A and comparison of other answer choices with OA (C)

Many thanks!
Will be happy to throw some kudos out there!
Cheers!
J
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 109

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 12:28
In answer choice A, the usage of "which is why" is wrong.
Which has to be preceded by a comma or by a preposition.

Hence A is wrong.

C gives us place holder pronouns.

Hope this helps.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 06:04
got confused with the intended meaning.....

OA says "consider it important that"

but original sentence says "criminal record is of some importance to" ...

Is OA not distorting the meaning of the original sentence by omitting "some" ??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 17:44
Hi experts,

For (E), how can we modify to make it correct?

The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is becausethey require clean criminal records of their employees

The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is that they require clean criminal records of their employees?
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2014, 17:44