Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618965 [14]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 570 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It’ [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
(A) If a manufacturer uses shoddy materials to make a gadget, the gadget is likely to break quickly.

we do not know this for sure about the manufacture: maybe the company has a good production process that we do not know for sure if bad material=bad product result.

A bad question for sure.

A serious assumption question would never repeat the same words (at least not in the same fashion) of the stimulus in the answer choices.

Among other things.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It’ [#permalink]
How the answer can be B, if it just repeats the phrase from the original passage, adding no value or any additional information, which would be helpful to find out the premise.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Re: That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It [#permalink]
Why can't it be E? I was confused between the answer options B and E and chose E over B for the simple fact that B was more obvious than to be considered a hidden or unstated premise.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Re: That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It [#permalink]
Kudos
ChrisJ wrote:
That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It’s just another example of the shoddy products that we are seeing more and more of these days. The thing was probably manufactured in East Golo.

Which one of the following is the best expression of an unstated premise that underlies the author’s reasoning in the passage?

(A) If a manufacturer uses shoddy materials to make a gadget, the gadget is likely to break quickly.

(B) If a gadget breaks quickly, it was probably manufactured in East Golo.

(C) If a kitchen gadget was manufactured in East Golo, it should not be sold in this country.

(D) If everything that is manufactured in East Golo breaks quickly, then kitchen gadgets manufactured in East Golo are likely to break quickly.

(E) Nothing that is manufactured in East Golo can be expected to last more than a week

Why can't it be E? I was confused between the answer options B and E and chose E over B for the simple fact that B was more obvious than to be considered a hidden or unstated premise.

The author says that the gadget broke quickly due to being poorly made and suggests that it was likely manufactured in East Golo. Hence, the author draws a conclusion that the gadget probably came from East Golo, based on the fact that it broke quickly. The unstated premise underlying the author's reasoning is that if a gadget breaks quickly, it is likely to have been manufactured in East Golo.

B says: if a gadget breaks quickly, it is probably from East Golo.

That's exactly what the author assumes.

E says: if something is from East Golo, it will break in one week.

This goes beyond the scope and makes an extreme claim that everything manufactured in East Golo cannot be expected to last more than a week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
There is no Official Explanation for this Question, Kindly help with one as no proper explanation for this Question is provided
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Antharas wrote:
How the answer can be B, if it just repeats the phrase from the original passage, adding no value or any additional information, which would be helpful to find out the premise.

Notice that the author concludes that the gadget "was probably manufactured in East Golo" without providing any information about East Golo in connection with shoddy products that break.

So, to arrive at that conclusion, the author must be assuming that there is some connection between East Golo and shoddy products.

(B) states exactly what the author is assuming. To conclude that a product was probably manufactured in East Golo from the evidence that it broke easily, the author must assume that, as (B) says, if a gadget breaks quickly, it was probably manufactured in East Golo.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
That gadget I bought for the kitchen last week has already broken. It’s just another example of the shoddy products that we are seeing more and more of these days. The thing was probably manufactured in East Golo.

Which one of the following is the best expression of an unstated premise that underlies the author’s reasoning in the passage?

(A) If a manufacturer uses shoddy materials to make a gadget, the gadget is likely to break quickly. - WRONG. Material aspect is out of scope.

(B) If a gadget breaks quickly, it was probably manufactured in East Golo. - CORRECT.

(C) If a kitchen gadget was manufactured in East Golo, it should not be sold in this country. - WRONG. Selling is irrelevant.

(D) If everything that is manufactured in East Golo breaks quickly, then kitchen gadgets manufactured in East Golo are likely to break quickly. - WRONG. Only issue is with the extreme word "everything". Takes scope beyond that of passage.

(E) Nothing that is manufactured in East Golo can be expected to last more than a week - WRONG. Almost there but the extreme word "nothing" ruins it and it's like D only.

Answer B.
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
(D) gives us a hypothetical about East Golo -- what if everything from there breaks quickly? Then the kitchen gadgets from there would break quickly. The issue is that we have no evidence that everything that is manufactured in East Golo breaks quickly, so we have no idea if the bit about the kitchen gadgets follows.

(D) is out.

HI GMATNinja
Isnt D also wrong for the very same reason that it provides no link between how a broken gadget can be for sure from East Golo? What does having "no evidence' mean in your explanation.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
sv2023 wrote:
gives us a hypothetical about East Golo -- what if everything from there breaks quickly? Then the kitchen gadgets from there would break quickly. The issue is that we have no evidence that everything that is manufactured in East Golo breaks quickly, so we have no idea if the bit about the kitchen gadgets follows.

(D) is out.

HI [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D
Isnt D also wrong for the very same reason that it provides no link between how a broken gadget can be for sure from East Golo? What does having "no evidence' mean in your explanation.

The evidence is that the gadget broke quickly. The conclusion is that the gadget was manufactured in East Golo. So we want evidence that if an object breaks quickly, then it was manufactured in East Golo.

(D) merely tells us that if an object is manufactured East Golo, then it will likely break quickly. But the whole point is that we have no evidence that the object was manufactured in East Golo! That's the thing we're trying to establish.

Put another way: we're not trying to figure out whether we should buy something from East Golo -- (D) might be useful for that. We're trying to figure out if this broken gadget was, in fact, manufactured in East Golo. And (D) gives us no evidence that would help determine that.

I hope that clears things up!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts