Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That long-term cigarette smoking can lead to health problems

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

That long-term cigarette smoking can lead to health problems [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 01:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
That long-term cigarette smoking can lead to health problems including cancer and lung disease is a scientifically well-established fact. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, however, it is not necessary to deny this fact in order to reject the view that tobacco companies should be held either morally or legally responsible for the poor health of smokers. After all, excessive consumption of candy undeniably leads to such health problems as tooth decay, but no one seriously believes that candy eaters who get cavities should be able to sue candy manufacturers.

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it
(A) fails to establish that the connection between tooth decay and candy eating is as scientifically well documented as that between smoking and the health problems suffered by smokers
(B) depends on the obviously false assumption that everyone who gets cavities does so only as a result of eating too much candy
(C) leaves undefined such critical qualifying terms as “excessiveâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 03:05
Here we have an E.

Smoking leads to cancer which leads to death. Companies knowingly sell a product which will kill at least some of its users.

Eating candy leads to tooth decay which leads to the dentist, which in the most extreme case leads to dentures at a ripe old age.

death vs. dentures. perhaps he should have used alcohol as a proper comparision.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 05:09
I fully agree with defenestrate. It's E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 05:13
On second thoughts, aren't we using outside knowledge to arrive at the answer. Shouldn't the weakness of the argument be in the passage itself?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 05:26
E is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 06:39
E.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 08:29
Whats wrong with C...If the two words mean different things then also the comparison is faulty...any thoughts??
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 08:36
Also I think a flaw in the argument has to be from the info given...I feel the nature of the threats posed is outside the scope...Isn't it...Am I missing something??
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 09:19
vineetgupta wrote:
Also I think a flaw in the argument has to be from the info given...I feel the nature of the threats posed is outside the scope...Isn't it...Am I missing something??

What is the argument?

You can continue to keep accepting that tobacoo is harmful and yet not hold the tobacco companies morally/legally responsible

IN MUCH THE SAME WAY AS

You don't consider suing candy companies even though it is undeniably true that candies cause harmful cavities in the teeth.

What do you think is the most appropriate criticism of the above logic? E expresses it clearly by saying you can't compare the effects of tobacco with those of candy - one causes cancer and stuff like that - the other causes only mouth cavities. The two cannot be logically compared.

Hence E.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 10:11
Thanks dwivedys...Can u tell me why C is wrong??
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 10:21
vineetgupta wrote:
Thanks dwivedys...Can u tell me why C is wrong??

Well, if you've identified the flaw in the reasoning as I have described in my earlier post you won't even consider C.

On lack of clarity in the use of long term and excessive - I don't think we need a scientific definition of these terms to evaluate the flaw in the argument - which is actually on a more fundamental level - (as identified in E) - which is that comparing the harmful effects of smoking with those of eating candies itself is flawed due to the vast differences in their respective effects.

The point is that these differences would still exist regardless of however clearly you define "excessive" and "long term"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 21:32
The answer is E.

The comparison is between dissimilar (I say dissimilar because the severity of the two effects are not considered) elements.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 22:45
E !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

[#permalink] 07 Apr 2007, 22:45