Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 21:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

57% (02:27) correct 43% (01:19) wrong based on 87 sessions
Can someone explain how to tackle this one

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault: researcher Sam Daniels, one of the leading experts on the virus, reported a quarter-century ago that the virus was effectively contained and that no action beyond education was necessary.

1)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault

2)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued to be at fault

3)It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence

4)It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence

5)The fact that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued

Last edited by Narenn on 17 Aug 2013, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Renamed - Please use the first sentence of the question to name the topic
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog,Georgetown,OSU

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 21:39
I think the answer is D because first two (A &B) are not matching (That many individuals). E seems too wordy.
So, C and D could be the answer. But C has it is the fault which seems wordy. So, my final answer is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 14

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 21:43
My pic is D

I read this sentence like this :-

researcher Sam Daniels, one of the leading experts on the virus, reported a quarter-century ago that the virus was effectively contained and that no action beyond education was necessary.So,It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 05:19
Thanks guys . D is indeed right. Do u think that this is a tough one ??

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 92

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 05:27
It was tough for me and took time (2 mins).
I picked D, though.

same reasoning as, bgrocker79
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 13:11
zest4mba wrote:

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault: researcher Sam Daniels, one of the leading experts on the virus, reported a quarter-century ago that the virus was effectively contained and that no action beyond education was necessary.

1)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault

2)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued to be at fault

3)It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence

4)It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence

5)The fact that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued

My answer is also D.
A and B have an awkward construction. When a sentence begins with "That....is (or do) something...." it almost always should be changed with "It....that...".
E is wordy and difficult to understand because there is a long modifier between "The fact..." and "...cannot be plausibly understand."
C is wordy compared to D: "...it is the fault of individuals..." vs "...individuals are at fault..".
Thus, we have D.
I think the question is difficult enough and takes some efforts to find the correct answer. :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 144 [1] , given: 117

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
I picked D just read it in reverse, only D makes sense. A & B are because of "that many individuals......an not plausibly be argued that it is" is awkward, instead it should come before plausibly be argued that
C is wordy as compared to D so out.
In E unnecessary addition of "the fact that"

So it leaves D as a best choice.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 109

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 14:20
+1 D

The first "it" is a placeholder.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 14:59
zest4mba wrote:
Thanks guys . D is indeed right. Do u think that this is a tough one ??

Posted from my mobile device Image

woah!! D makes sense ... but "wordy but correct" option caught my eye first ... any good trick to get these correct .. may be not!!

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 21:58
"C. It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence"

C is wrong not only because it is wordy - it is gramatically incorrect as well.
I think for C to be correct it will have to replace 'who' with 'that' - "It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals that they were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence"
In the current form the sentence doesnt complete the meaning - it says who is at fault but it doesnt say what is the fault(that they were not vaccinated)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 03:01
does anyone feel that "for not receiving vaccination" in option D is slightly changing the meaning of original
"were not vaccinated" vs "for not receiving vaccination"?
any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 16:48
Got "D" in 1:32
Explanations are next to each option
zest4mba wrote:

1)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault Too ambiguous, also it uses passive voice where it is not needed

2)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued to be at fault Wrong use of passive voice "were not vaccinated"

3)It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence "very close to the correct choice only odd against it is that it uses passive voice"

4)It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence "Best choice"

"Subject-The fact & verb-can be argued are far apart not an ideal choice"

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 22:54
got it correct in 0:54.
A & B felt awkward to me.
Although 'It' in c is correctly used but 'it is the fault of individuals' is kinda wordy.
D:correct because - clear, concise and idiomatically correct.
E:wrong cos 'individuals are at fault' is not a fact.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Difficult sc question [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 11:34
A,B - We need "The Fact or something which postpones the use of 'that' ".

We are left with C,D, and E

We need to specify the fault of individuals for not receiving vaccination. We don't need to describe the individuals as people who were not vaccinated. Hence we can omit C and E.

D- Correctly specifies that 'act of not receiving vaccination is not the fault of individuals'
Re: Difficult sc question   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2013, 11:34