Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That's it. 680(Q49, V32)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
That's it. 680(Q49, V32) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 13:32
Dear Gmatclub Friends,

I have mixed feeling about my test result. Its on lower side of my expected range continuum yet enough to discourage from retry. The thing that matter is "I tried my best". Moreever, I am exasted with last over three months of eating, sleeping, dreaming this test :P

So, this is official. I will standby my score:
680 (90%le)
- Q49(90 %le)
- V32(67%le)

How did it all start? A few months back I realised that I need to escape from this "myopic analytical world" of bytes, bugs and LOC(lines of code :) ) to more synthetic way of thinking where you can see different pieces of the puzzle and possible add some sort of value in harmonizing them.

In last three and half months, I have learnt many things, met so many great, smart ppl(mostly here at GC) and gone through various emotions. At the end, I guess it was worth it. I feel I am slightly better person now than a few months back.

Enough of my ramblings, now back to test emperience:
My test was at 08:30. I can understand matt condition as I too couldn't escape from test enxiety the last night. Intermittently, I spept for 2-3 hrs, no matter how hard I tried.

Basic formalities over, analysis of argument - i got the same argument as I got the last time I took test: good omen I thought :) Anyway, somehow wrote 3-4 paras forcibly including some of the key terms I had already praticed. The analysis of issue was from management theory (manager vs leader). I was comfortable.

Break, some snacks, back to business. Quant was very simple until I hit 5th question. A percentage-ratio word problem with alot of twists(A or B, not A x%, B y% how much not A and not B %..somthing like this). I finally guessed this one and moved on(error here). Rest of the test was smooth, with an eye on timings. Take away : no geometry figure problems, no SD, 1 simple probability, not many tricky questions).

Break and the decisive section, verbal. First a few SCs(subjunctive, that/which, tense), hit first RC around 7th question. I though I was doing Ok (mistake, I guess messed up with few first SC questions and never came out of it). In all 4 RCs (2 60-75 lines 2 40 lines). 2 RCs on women issues/suffrage (ETS fav), 1 science(black holes), 1 movie stars. I though I was doing better on RCs this time. 1 BF question at the end. In all I was confident I did relatively better this time as I saw many "total underlined" SCs, two 75 liner RCs, 1 BF CR. How wrong I was :?

I thought I should touch the magic figure 7xx but it was not to be :oops: Verbal improvement turned out to be alot more challenging than I thought.

I will prepare study notes and share them, if at all those help. This club has been very important part of my life since last few months. I thank YOU ALL for all the help and encouragements.

:wave

Here are a few cents to future test takers:
- GMAT test a finite number of concepts in infinite way, to do well, you will need to be best in ALL concepts. If something is not your strenth, it is your weakness (what if first few questions turn out to be from this area?).

- What we call tricky questions, GMAT tests "Attention to details" - very important trait to seperate boys from men. Things like "non-negative/positive, minutes/hrs, divide of 0, that/which, yet/however, judgement/goal/conclusion make you change your habit to look into details which goes beyong the test. It maked you much reasoned person.

- No matter what ETS says, the score can be improved with persistence and hard work.

- Question that you got RIGHT for a wrong reason is MORE HARMFUL than the question you got WRONG for a right reason. You should REALLY KNOW why an answe is right /wrong.

I used following resources:
- Kaplan GMAT 2006 with CD
- OG 10 and OG 11, MUST for SC/CR
- GMATClub challenges - i will recommend even though some question may be slightly more difficult than actual. Read the EXPLANATIONS for ALL questions. They have alot of wisdom.

Thanks again to ALL of you and best of luck for everything you do. My special thanks to gsr, titleist, laxieqv, nabik, matt, Paul, HongHu, Bhai, Rahulraao, TeCHM, gamjatang (sorry if I missed your name :) ). To Pretorian for building this site and proving access to challenges :P . I will certainly try to stick around and will be glad to share my experience.

duttsit

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Last edited by duttsit on 28 Dec 2005, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 13:41
well done, duttsit !!! :-D chris

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 14:22
great job duttsit. Congrats on the improvement
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 15:45
duttsit, congrats!! That's an awesome score to end with! We are so proud of you!!!!!!!! Your quant score is to die for....(I would be be floating in heaven with that quant score :roll:)

Remember, GMAT is not the end...but only the beginning

Best of luck to your apps process.... Do stick around!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 16:16
well done!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 18:12
Congratulations duttsit on your great score!

Obviously you deserve a better Verbal score than this. Good luck with your apps.

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 18:27
Congrats duttsit. :flower

680 - a decent score.

Himalaya
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 18:35
Congratulations duttsit,

Very good score :-D

Good luck for the apps process!

It's time to party.... :beer
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 18:48
Duttsit, you're great, see ..you can improve quite a lot of points in just one month!!!!! :wink: . This time's score is a nice one :) . Why don't you give it a third try? :wink: . You will certainly break the 7XX range easily ^_~ ...but for now, take some break and enjoy the greeting season~!! ^_^ . Don't forget to stick around forum at times, okie?!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 20:26
I guess I fully understand what you feel with your dream of escaping from this bytes, bugs and LOC.

In my case, I wanted to escape from bits. :-)
(I deal with infrastructure...streams of bits...)

Anyho, you did a good job, duttsit.

Let's get out of these bits and bytes and be what we wanna be!

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 20:52
Duttsit,

Well done. Congratulation on the score and have a nice time writing applications. :arrow:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 22:59
Congrats duttsit! That's a very good score and spirited effort!
What you say is true, each of us learn a lot from our experiences. Also glad to see that you feel good now. You should be! 680 is really good.
Gear up for the next act! Applications!
You are highly talented. I admire your Math skills!
Wish you good luck with everything!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 11:15
Congrats,

very well done. your hard work finally paid off. Good luck on your applicataion process.

-nakib

hey ya......

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 11:43
Fantastic improvement duttsit, I commend you on your perseverance and achievement. May your application process turn out to be as much of a success in the new year and please share that experience with us as soon as you get the good news as well.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 12:25
duttsit, hey ur score is better than before and am glad you retook it.. lol.. I know u can cross 7** but this score is very very goood.. Good work.. when are u plannin to go to business school?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 17:28
congrats dutts it !! good luck for your apps !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CONGRATS!!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 21:38
Duttsit.....congrats....great score...... that too in just 1 month....
you are certainly a great source of inspiration for me & other gmat takers...I have my gmat in a month's time...and I need a good score....Its a do or die situation for me .....and I beleive ITS POSSIBLE....

perservance+persistence + hard work + luck = gmat score
:-D

all the best with ur applications.. :-D

Jinesh

"Nothing is Impossible"

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 13:06
hey duttsit
excellent...

hit me with a PM...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2006, 21:38
Hi Duttist, good score. All the very best to you for the apps.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2006, 19:24
Thanks everyone. Happy new year 2006!!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

[#permalink] 02 Jan 2006, 19:24