Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 03:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All

I want to be very sure of the usage of THAT vs WHICH in Gmat. Below are the points which I use whenever there is a confusion between THAT and WHICH. Please advise whether this understanding is correct and suggest some more rules to distinguish between THAT & WHICH

Below are some of the Rules which I use. Please validate them.

Rule #1 - Let’s say a sentence is there and you want to decide whether you should use That or Which. Follow these rules –
1) We use a “that clause” when the topic of discussion is unclear up to that point. 2) We use a “which clause” when the topic of discussion is clear up to that point.
Examples - A) Gina enjoys television shows that have laugh tracks. B) Gina enjoys television shows, which have laugh tracks. Now in both sentences this line is common - " Gina Enjoys Television Shows". Now think over a moment that at this point is discussion very clear?? No the discussion is not. It merely says that Gina enjoys television shows .It can be any show --horror, comedy , sports etc. Since the discussion is not clear we will use "THAT".

Another Example - A ) Rahul Visited Delhi , which is capital city of India. b) Rahul Visited Delhi that is capital city of India. Now the common line is – Rahul Visited Delhi. This information is sufficient . Moreover whatever information we have after this is additional. Since the Information is complete at that point we will use "WHICH"

Rule #2 –I use “Which” when there is a non-essential modifier and use “THAT” when there is an essential modifier.

I use these two rules whenever there is a confusion between THAT and WHICH. Please suggest are there any more rules which we can use to overcome THAT vs WHICH in Gmat. Please advise.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 02:27
Hi

I am waiting for response . Can anyone add some more information to this topic.

Regards

Rohit
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 02:37
Your rules 1 and 2 are actually the same, just worded differently.... And yes, this is the best way to check whther one should use "that" or "which"

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 08:13
rsharma9153 wrote:
Rule #2 –I use “Which” when there is a non-essential modifier and use “THAT” when there is an essential modifier.

This is the only rule you need here. Please remember to flank Non-essential modifiers with commas (", which (...),") and not to flank Essential modifiers ("that") with them. Whether a modifier is essential or not depends mostly on the author's intention.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 70

Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 01:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"That" should be used to introduce a restrictive clause.
"Which" should be used to introduce a non-restrictive clause.

Note: A restrictive clause is one which is essential to the meaning of a sentence – if it’s removed, the meaning of the sentence will change.

Look at the following two sentences.

(1) My house that is located in the city is off for sale.
(2) My house, which is located in the city, is off for sale.

First sentence suggests that I have more than one house and other houses are not located in the city.

If the parts in italics are removed, both the sentences become: My house is off for sale. This sentence has the same meaning as that of (2) but has a different meaning from that of (1).
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction. [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 07:15
Expert's post
Yes - as doe mentioned,

that - is used to restrict the scope of what you are talking about
which - is used to provide further general description

Here's an example question:

Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach.

(A) music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach

(B) music that was, during the time, prominent primarily because of J.S. Bach's works

(C) music, which, because of the works of J.S. Bach, were primarily prominent during the time

(D) music, that was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach during the time

(E) music, which was prominent during the time primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach

Answer and video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2056

Notice here that the phrase "that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach" - does NOT restrict the scope of the "baroque style music" we are talking about.

In other words, it's not that there are lots of different kinds of baroque style music -- and the KIND that we are talking about is the KIND THAT was prominent primarily because of X. Since this is not the case, then usage of THAT here is not correct. We would use WHICH instead since the phrase above provides GENERAL DESCRIPTION of baroque style music - rather than a specific kind of baroque style of music.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: THAT vs WHICH in GMAT sentence correction.   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 07:15