Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That/which usage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

That/which usage [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
I have following two questions.

1) Please explain the usage of 'that' and 'which'
2 How do we decide when to use 'but,'however' or 'although'.

Examples will make it easier to understand. Appreciate your time.
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 215 [4] , given: 6

Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
JoyLibs wrote:
1) Please explain the usage of 'that' and 'which'

"That" is used for essential modifiers, but "which" is used for non-essential modifiers. Non-essential modifiers can be removed from the sentence without losing the main meaning, but essential modifiers can't be.

The most memorable description I've read of this is from "Woe Is I," a quite readable grammar book. I'm basing my examples on the examples from that book.

Essential modifiers:
The mouse that was killed in the mousetrap is grey.
The contestant that went on to win the Spelling Bee is from Ohio.
Any house that has shoddy plumbing will usually have mold.

See what happens when the essential modifier is removed:
The mouse is grey.
The contestant is from Ohio.
Any house will usually have mold.

Note that the meaning is either lost (the death of the mouse), hidden (which contestant specifically?), or distorted (all houses don't usually have mold, just some)!

Non-essential modifiers:
The mouse, which is grey, is about to eat the cheese on the mousetrap.
Our house, which has mold, obviously has a plumbing problem.

Note that when you take the underlined modifiers out, the overall meaning of the sentence remains intact. The commas are another clue that the "which" modifier is somehow optional in the overall sentence.

For the record, with commas, a “who” modifier (i.e. like “which,” but for referring to people) is similarly non-essential:
The contestant, who is from Ohio, will go on to win the Spelling Bee.

JoyLibs wrote:
2 How do we decide when to use 'but,'however' or 'although'.

But, however, and although are similar in meaning: they all indicate a contrast or alternative. I’m hesitating to dictate a rule, because I think all three are probably used in a variety of ways, and I’d probably omit some exception.

However ( :-D ), I think “but” is best used in mid-sentence (often following a comma), whereas “however” and “although” can be found mid-sentence but would also be allowed to begin a sentence.

I can’t recall any OG/GMATPrep question that splits on the choice or placement of this type of word.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 05:51
Thanks esledge. Appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern

Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:41
Can we safely say that although and but cannot be used in the same sentence. Redundant?

eg: ALTHOUGH one link in the chain was demonstrated to be weak, BUT not sufficiently so to require the recall of the automobile

The sentence above might be wrong for other reasons as well but the use of 'Although' and 'but' together make it wrong ?
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 130

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 6

Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 11:57
JoyLibs wrote:
Can we safely say that although and but cannot be used in the same sentence. Redundant?

eg: ALTHOUGH one link in the chain was demonstrated to be weak, BUT not sufficiently so to require the recall of the automobile

The sentence above might be wrong for other reasons as well but the use of 'Although' and 'but' together make it wrong ?

Maybe redundant, but more importantly the structure is bad. The "although" phrase is trying to modify a main clause after the comma, and the "but" phrase is trying to modify "weak." Where's the main clause?

Correct:
Although one link in the chain was demonstrated to be weak, it was not sufficiently so to require the recall of the automobile. (It = link in the chain, and is the subject of the main clause that now has "was" as the verb.)

Correct:
Although the engineers showed that one link in the chain was weak, but not so weak as to require the recall of the automobile, company executives decided to exercise caution and recall the vehicle.

I was trying to think of a case where using both "although" and "but" could be justisfied, and I think this one works. Why? Because they are used for different contrasts within the same sentence:
(1) the link in the chain was weak BUT not too weak
(2) ALTHOUGH the engineers thought one thing, the company executives thought another

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 21:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GPA: 3.12
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: That/which usage [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 17:45
Is it nescaary to use which/that near to the noun it represent???
Re: That/which usage   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 17:45