Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The 2008 ZERO admits club [#permalink]
Kudos
Definitely gut this out...you only need one admit to make it all worth it. Take a look at where you applied and what those schools look for. Decide if you can improve things for them and whether you should reapply to all the same places. Some school seem to really like reapplicants, others not as much. I also think you should find where your the most competitive and will face the least amount of people with similar profiles. For instance, I personally think that MIT is extremely tough for a lot of engineers since its so popular with them, same with Yale and nonprofit, GSB with IB, and Kellogg with marketing. Obviously go for your dream schools but also make sure you find places where you wont have to compete against so many other people who are similar to you.

Stick around here too, I think those of us from this year that are still around will be willing to do everything we can to help you out. I am not planning on reviewing essays next year for people but I will certainly make exception for you guys. Those of us at your target schools will definitely be willing to take time out to give you tours and stuff.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I too really hope everyone gives the app process another shot. The best ways to improve, if your GMAT is not too low, is to get more responsibility at work and to get invovled in more organizations, clubs, sports, etc outside of work. Do all of those things, and you will see that your application will be more focused and impressive than the previous year. And, don't let me hear the word "CAN'T." There's always a way; it may take you outside of your comfort zone, but you do what you gotta go.

Also, start early. Starting in the summer for R1 apps will give you time to research schools, find the intricacies that separate them from other schools (intricacies not found on the school's website), talk to students, and it will also give us '10'ers some time to thoroughly help you--if need be.

Not to mention, all of your GMAT scores are high enough to bump up any school's average. All of that work ethic and brainpower needs a home...b-school is that home. GO TO YOUR HOME!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I feel your pain everyone. :( But it's good to have this thread and self reflect so you can succeed next year! I also wish that the W/L folks get in later on.

But keep at it. Like Helg said, he survived 4 dings and turned it into a GSB admit! That sort of success story should be your inspiration and motivation.

I will definitely be around next year, and for you guys, I will help you review some essays and give pointers (for however much it's worth). If any of you are applying to Haas, Anderson, or Kellogg, I can definitely let you know what I thought were important. And whether I end up at Haas or Kellogg, I'll definitely try to pass on some "insider" info too, just to get you all in.

Keep at it, and PLEASE stay around the forums so we can help you out. One admit, that's all you need. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey bsd great thread. I feel humbled and shy to put my starts coz I think they are the worst in this ding club so far.

GMAT: 670
WE: 2
Applications: 5
Interviews: 2
Dings: 2
Waitlist: 1
Unknown: 2

Which school hurt the most?
Wharton coz at first I thought it was definitely an automatic ding.. what with a crappy goals essay written just hours before the deadline on top of poor stats etc etc. Then shocked beyond recognition at getting an interview invite along with renewed hope and excitement only to be dinged!...and offcourse I really really wanted to go there...I had dreams of study abroad at INSEAD and being a Wharton follies cast member!

What next?
Retaking the GMAT. Trying to improve my profile by trying to get a job in business abroad. Sounds crazy I know but all my undertakings in life have always been considered crazy by those around me.

Why lack of success?
Poor GMAT score for one. Short work experience. A lack of a clear articulation of my achievements to date as well as a not so passionate why school X. My current work achievements were edited out as too much jargon by my essay editors prompting me to write main essays that just mention my field in passing without articulating my achievements. Age...damn at this rate I sound like the best candidate for the person least likely to get into B-school. I however feel that I have taken full advantage of all my opportunities in life and overcome multiple barriers to be where I am today and have the capacity to successfully pursue a B-school education and subsequent career.

Next year?
Maybe..at this rate am not too sure of anything will decide as things unfold this summer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Great thread, really opened my eyes.

I am not applying till 2011, but I really hope I get to hear your success stories next cycle, and that you guys will stick around and help future business school candidates because I think that you guys have great stats, and provide tremendous amount of information.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Scary.

Originally posted by nyrberg on 04 Apr 2008, 14:16.
Last edited by nyrberg on 17 Dec 2008, 22:25, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I've been lurking on this thread for a long time, planning on posting once I had some good news. I've pretty much been waitlisted across the board, so I thought I would share my story and see if you have any advice. I really appreciate the supportive GMAT club community, even though I haven't yet shown it. You guys have gotten me through some difficult times without even knowing it - so thanks, I owe you.

GMAT score: 760
Work Experience : 3 years
#Applications : 6
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 3
#WL : 3 (Columbia, NYU, Yale)

Which ding hurt the most and why?
I've only been dinged at Stanford and it didn't really affect me very much. I knew Stan was a longshot to begin with, and I gave up long ago when I didn't receive an interview. The waitlist at NYU really stung because I was fairly confident that I would be accepted there - I guess there's still a chance!

What next?
My profile is unlike anyone's I've seen on these boards or others. I've been in PR for three years, the first year at an agency and the last 2 at a hospital. I am seeking to gain a deeper understanding of the implications of the healthcare issues I deal with on a daily basis and land a strategy position either as a member of a healthcare team at a MC firm or an internal position at a healthcare organization. I've applied mostly to schools with strong MPH programs as well, with the intention of adding the joint degree once admitted. Ultimately, I'm hoping to specialize in crisis management (one of my main communications functions as a hospital spokeswoman).

I'm currently taking Accounting at NYU and microeconomics online (Berkeley extension). I'll submit those grades and visit a healthcare class at Columbia in 2 weeks. And then there's the waiting, as if we haven't done enough already...

I am also planning on applying to a top-ranked, part-time MPH program that my employer will sponsor. I am young (24) and believe I could benefit from this program and gain some skills that will make me more marketable in the future - especially if I decide to reapply. The recruiters at the school of public health, though I won't have as much involvement with recruiting as a part-time student, are actually a better fit for what I want to do post-grad. So, I'm questioning whether I need an MBA at all (thoughts?). I sometimes think that a program that is more learning-centric than career-centric might be a better fit, and they take the GMAT in lieu of the GRE, so my accomplishment there doesn't go to waste :-)

Of course, I'll still fight to get off the waitlists! And I have yet to hear from Haas (MBA/MPH) and Gtown (both R3).

Why the lack of success?
I think a combination of youth/inexperience + lack of quantitative background/quantitative job + atypical b-school candidate make me a wild card. Also, following the advice of Garrison Keiller a little too closely:

"Tim Russell: Learn something practical — something that gives you job skills and leads to a career — English!!! Why not get a business degree? What are you going to do with a B.A. in English?

GK: Live. Have a life. That's what."
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hi all, firstly kudos to everyone who's shared their story here. It takes courage to put one's failure out in the open. Secondly, this thread could well read like an admits thread for HBS - with the statistics and the number of interesting experiences thrown around. Hell the average GMAT score here is actually higher than Stanford's class average.

Secondly, thanks for all the support from everyone else in gmatclub. You have all come out in support for us and we really appreciate it.

I certainly hope everywhere here sticks around for another round of applications next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Score : 760
Work Experience : 7 years
#Applications : 4
#Dings : 4
#Interviews : 2
#WL : 0
Which ding hurt the most and why ?
Wharton. I had a good app and reco. Wharton was older applicant friendly. The interview was also good. 4.0 GPA in my masters...I also thought I was a good fit!

What next ?Took a week off figuring out what to do.. still figuring out. INSEAD is something I was considering. Should I apply again to Wharton next year as a reapplicant?

Why the lack of success?
Not sure. 1) Age is probably not helping me. I am 31. 2) Also an Indian.. so competing with other Indians I guess 3) Goals, Essays, fit with the school 4) Maybe I didnt do well in the interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
Your profiles can cumulatively make for an impressive resume book for a UE. Seriously, you guys have some amazing #s, work experience as well as XCs.

I am sure some of you will get off the WL. For others, you have a terrific leg up over this year's fresh applicants. I am pretty confident that none of you will be empty-handed by the end of the next app season. I will be around to help in any way I can.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I did a little statistic. Us zero admits have an average GMAT score of 730 and average WE of 5 years. We've, on average, applied to 5 schools and ended up with results of 1 WL after 2 interviews. Cumulatively, we can bring up the stats of any b-school in the world (including HSW) - hell maybe I should start a new b-school (like in that movie "Accepted").
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bsd,

I will post my experience to bring down the GMAT a bit :-)

GMAT Score : 690
Work Experience : 5+ years
#Applications : 1
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 0
Which ding hurt the most and why ? I only applied to Cambridge-Judge Business School, in R3 and it still hurt when I got the ding considering this was my dream school even before I applied.
What next ? Retake the GMAT and concentrate on getting a better score. Also at the same time improve profile in terms of EC and work exp. I will also start on my essays very very early.
Why the lack of success? I decided in Oct 2007 I wanted to do an MBA. My original plan was to take the GMAT in Nov ( after 1 month of study) apply to two schools in R2 and 2 schools in R3. Going along the process it took much much longer to study for the GMAT. After getting only an average score for the schools I was after, I missed all R2 deadlines. I then had 4 weeks for my JBS application which I somehow got out. Looking back at it, my whole application was only average across the board. I didn't stand out in any particular area. This coupled with a R3 application meant a certain ding.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Score : 720
Work Experience : 5+ years
#Applications : 5
#Dings : 5
#Interviews : 1
Which ding hurt the most and why ? Chicago and Wharton. I thought these two were my best apps and not even receiving an interview from Wharton hurt. After I got the interview from Chicago, I was really optimistic but not getting in did hurt.
What next ? I considered various options, including never reapplying again, going back to India, changing jobs etc. Finally, I have decided to give it one last shot before I start implementing some other things. To start off, I am planning on applying to Insead and maybe IMD and ISB. In case I do not get there, I might reapply to Chicago and Wharton.
Why the lack of success? I seriously wish I knew. I thought my GMAT score was low, but then not too low. My XCs were weak, but then not too weak. My WE was pretty good with some pretty big clients. I thought my essays were decent but I now think I can just blame them with everything else almost being fine. I am getting some good feedback from other clubbers here on my essays and I plan to implement them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Score : 770
Work Experience : 4 years
#Dings : 4
#Interviews : 1

Tuck (although I had applied to Chicago and MIT as well, Tuck was my #1 choice)

What next ?
Making up for the 3 months of poor productivity at work - thats #1 priority (though my ego is ruffled by the dings, its my conscience that is hurt by the almost zero productivity)
In addition, I need to do research on schools where I have realistic chance and what I can do to improve my future apps.
1. community work - i feel bad about diluting nobility with selfish-interest.
2. promotion, job hop to a reputed company - this will be more difficult than B-school apps in these trying times of economic crisis

Why the lack of success?
After being a part of this forum, I now feel like a mouse that dreamed of seeking shelter with lions :-D . Kudos to all those who made it. In retrospect, I never had a chance at any of the top schools after I read many of your stats and posts (your posts indicated the amount of research that you put into your app); I was just carried away by my GMAT score. I will try again, after improving my application, which I wont be able to next year.
Special thanks to this forum - although I havent been an active poster, I have been reading and voraciously absorbing many of your suggestions. And of course, I made a note of those who offered to review essays; I might soon exercise that option.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Score : 690
Work Experience : 3+ years
#Dings : 5
#Interviews : 0

Haas, I really wanted to get into Haas

What next ?
Preparing for GMAT to improve my score

Why the lack of success?
Probably, my essays, my background (Indian +IT= Engineer) and my GMAT score
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT: 740 (79 Q, 99 V)
WE: 8 years (White male, government/PR)
Applications: 5 (all R2)
Interview invites: 4
Dings: 4
WL: 1

What hurt the most? Straight-up rejections after so many interview invites. Am sure age had something to do with it, but that's a discussion (merit of the emerging age-ism in top programs) for another time.

What next? First-time applicant… All apps were to top 12-13 schools. Guess that perhaps stats get you the invite but overall application gets you the decision. Plan on taking some quant courses over the summer (had no quant in academia/professional life), maybe adjusting vision of career direction and applying R1 in the fall. Targeting lower-ranked schools for program specialty and scholarship $$ and may try a couple top schools I didn’t try this time, as a flier. No regrets and not at all discouraged… in fact I think I’ll be better prepared in a year for the whole experience. Makes you re-examine the process without being so rankings-obsessed. There are a lot of great programs and great people out there, and that's exciting to me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Hi rsp, I agree - the dings post interview are the toughest to take. Good luck for next year, do stick around the forum. I also like your positive attitude about the whole reapplication process.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5