Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:46

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1101
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [2] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 04:09
2
This post received
KUDOS
Let's share our profiles and thoughts about what we have done and what we can improve for the next application season.

Please provide information only in the suggested template:

Age/Gender:
GMAT Score/GPA :
Work Experience: [industry/years]
Location:
Schools applied to:
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?]
#Interviews:
#WL:


Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why?
Why the lack of success?
What next?


---------------------------------------------------



2012-2013 Zero Admit Club - Where Are They Now?
  • fuzzybuzzard - Duke
  • cognizant2001 - Duke, UNC
  • jumsumtak - Duke
  • futurebostonmBA - Johnson
  • Chromium73 (11-12 club) - Wharton

Will update this list after others report. (PM me or one of the mods)

This thread is one of the more difficult places to post to. However, you will find plenty of motivation/incentives to do so. A lot of people who share their story, go on to get admitted into great schools.

Good luck!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 04:13
Hello Friends!.....Here are my stats

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 710/72%(Engg. from Indian government Univ, non IIT)
Work Experience: [industry/years] 1 yr : IT , 3 yrs : Energy ( Electrical Manufacturing )
Location: India
Schools applied to: ISB/Cornell/Duke/UNC/UCLA
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes
#Interviews: 1 - UNC (Applicant Initiated)
#WL: Could be Duke (They don't differentiate between Ding and WL)

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? UNC - I had an awesome interview and really wanted to be in N Carolina
Why the lack of success? Perhaps, my goals were not very feasible. My schools were too ambitious for my stats and I missed out on some other good schools. Due to certain reasons, started applying only in Dec....maybe too late for internationals

What next? Not sure, if i should apply to any of these schools again......or have a complete new list :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V49
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 20:44
Reserving a spot...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 09:59
What a horrible year.

Last edited by Blax0r on 31 Mar 2014, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Sigh.
Joined: 19 Mar 2013
Posts: 245
Location: India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 13:46
I'm putting my name in the hat, even though I am yet to hear from 1 WL and 2 schools where I interviewed a few days ago.
I dunno why - I just have a bad feeling (a la Mr. Han Solo) and have turned into this pessimistic person over the past ~15 months due to experiences in personal and professional life.

This summarises my feelings quite aptly:

unbounded wrote:
I dnt know whether this is a rant, or something that I truthfully want to say and share will fellow "dingers"?. I have been a silent observant on gmatclub for over 2 years now. I have taken advice/advantage of a lot of resources here, but rarely contributed, for which I apologize. But this is something I wanted to do....after I got dinged by Booth yesterday, Kellogg on Monday, and by Tuck last Friday. I have spent almost the last 2 years on things related to an MBA. Started my prep seriously in Dec 2010, with the first attempt a meager 690 followed by a 2nd attempt with a 700. While the scores weren't bad, what makes them worse is that I am an Indian.
Still, I prepared for my applications with a whole lot of zest. I spent over 6 months in analyzing my strengths and weaknesses, thought of strong points, things to mention in the essays. In July, I suffered an ACL tear and having undergone surgery in August, it was a mountain of an effort to complete my application. I just applied to 4 schools and made the sure that I gave it my very best. While my acads and GMAT score are not exceptional, my extra curriculars do make me stand out quite well, both during under-grad and the stuff I am doing now. So I was really shocked why no school would want to take me in-- I do feel I stand out well and have a lot of factors working in my favor, and I genuinely believe I have a passionate individual who has much to contribute in class.

As I brush aside the dirt and wipe the blood, I know I feel the despair, the hopelessness of having to do it all over again. I know you feel burdened by it too. But I feel that we all have this little spark inside of us. This spark that makes us uncomfortable to just sit and go through the motions at our current jobs, this spark that wants us to do better than the millions who are satisfied with their current lives.

Don't loose that spark. I know I wont. I know I do not have the option and dnt want to give up. I know that the schools that didnt take us made a big mistake. I know I am better than this... And so are you.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 217
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [4] , given: 3

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 06:49
4
This post received
KUDOS
Keep your head up folks. I got swept two years ago and this year got into more schools than I knew what to do with.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1101
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 07:11
chromium73 wrote:
Keep your head up folks. I got swept two years ago and this year got into more schools than I knew what to do with.


Congratulations! Mind sharing how did you turn it around?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 21:26
Another addition to the zero admit club this year :x

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760
Work Experience: [industry/years] : Construction/ 3 years
Location: India
Schools applied to: MIT (R1), Stanford (R1), Harvard (R2), ISB (R2)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes just for HBS - my last application this year
#Interviews: ISB only
#WL: None

Which ding hurt the most and why? -
1. MIT because I REALLY wanted to study there.. probably more than HBS or GSB. and because I applied in R1 I thought I had higher chances of getting in.
2. ISB because it was my safe school. And its admission procedure is such that it makes it really difficult for the adcom to reject someone over 750 GMAT. (which means I screwed up my interview BIG time)

Why the lack of success?
1. I probably thought that my high GMAT will make it easier to get into top B schools. MIT, GSB and HBS were probably too high for a mediocre CV like mine.
2. I didnt take the help of any consultants to help in preparing my CV/Essays/etc. Did it all by myself. Only my last application (which was for HBS) looked something more of a well made application.
3. I guess I need some more dimensions in my resume. More of social service/ community membership in whacky clubs/ some weird hobbies/ etc to differentiate me and help my CV stand out from the crowd.

What next?
Spending the whole of last year researching different schools, writing so many essays all by myself, fine tuning my resume, etc I feel that I have a head start on the next year's application cycle. I am planning to apply to the maximum schools of my choice in R1. Let's see what happens!

Any comments are welcome.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 17:20
ankurq7 wrote:
Another addition to the zero admit club this year :x

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760
Work Experience: [industry/years] : Construction/ 3 years
Location: India
Schools applied to: MIT (R1), Stanford (R1), Harvard (R2), ISB (R2)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes just for HBS - my last application this year
#Interviews: ISB only
#WL: None

Which ding hurt the most and why? -
1. MIT because I REALLY wanted to study there.. probably more than HBS or GSB. and because I applied in R1 I thought I had higher chances of getting in.
2. ISB because it was my safe school. And its admission procedure is such that it makes it really difficult for the adcom to reject someone over 750 GMAT. (which means I screwed up my interview BIG time)

Why the lack of success?
1. I probably thought that my high GMAT will make it easier to get into top B schools. MIT, GSB and HBS were probably too high for a mediocre CV like mine.
2. I didnt take the help of any consultants to help in preparing my CV/Essays/etc. Did it all by myself. Only my last application (which was for HBS) looked something more of a well made application.
3. I guess I need some more dimensions in my resume. More of social service/ community membership in whacky clubs/ some weird hobbies/ etc to differentiate me and help my CV stand out from the crowd.

What next?
Spending the whole of last year researching different schools, writing so many essays all by myself, fine tuning my resume, etc I feel that I have a head start on the next year's application cycle. I am planning to apply to the maximum schools of my choice in R1. Let's see what happens!

Any comments are welcome.


What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 83
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 07:41
Assman wrote:
ankurq7 wrote:
Another addition to the zero admit club this year :x

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760
Work Experience: [industry/years] : Construction/ 3 years
Location: India
Schools applied to: MIT (R1), Stanford (R1), Harvard (R2), ISB (R2)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes just for HBS - my last application this year
#Interviews: ISB only
#WL: None

Which ding hurt the most and why? -
1. MIT because I REALLY wanted to study there.. probably more than HBS or GSB. and because I applied in R1 I thought I had higher chances of getting in.
2. ISB because it was my safe school. And its admission procedure is such that it makes it really difficult for the adcom to reject someone over 750 GMAT. (which means I screwed up my interview BIG time)

Why the lack of success?
1. I probably thought that my high GMAT will make it easier to get into top B schools. MIT, GSB and HBS were probably too high for a mediocre CV like mine.
2. I didnt take the help of any consultants to help in preparing my CV/Essays/etc. Did it all by myself. Only my last application (which was for HBS) looked something more of a well made application.
3. I guess I need some more dimensions in my resume. More of social service/ community membership in whacky clubs/ some weird hobbies/ etc to differentiate me and help my CV stand out from the crowd.

What next?
Spending the whole of last year researching different schools, writing so many essays all by myself, fine tuning my resume, etc I feel that I have a head start on the next year's application cycle. I am planning to apply to the maximum schools of my choice in R1. Let's see what happens!

Any comments are welcome.


What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!


I took a year and a half off work to make myself interesting and figure out what life meant to me. I also have a 760. Neither one helped. I will be reserving my spot soon.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 551
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 12:12
Expert's post
gambelda wrote:
Assman wrote:
ankurq7 wrote:
Another addition to the zero admit club this year :x

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760
Work Experience: [industry/years] : Construction/ 3 years
Location: India
Schools applied to: MIT (R1), Stanford (R1), Harvard (R2), ISB (R2)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes just for HBS - my last application this year
#Interviews: ISB only
#WL: None

Which ding hurt the most and why? -
1. MIT because I REALLY wanted to study there.. probably more than HBS or GSB. and because I applied in R1 I thought I had higher chances of getting in.
2. ISB because it was my safe school. And its admission procedure is such that it makes it really difficult for the adcom to reject someone over 750 GMAT. (which means I screwed up my interview BIG time)

Why the lack of success?
1. I probably thought that my high GMAT will make it easier to get into top B schools. MIT, GSB and HBS were probably too high for a mediocre CV like mine.
2. I didnt take the help of any consultants to help in preparing my CV/Essays/etc. Did it all by myself. Only my last application (which was for HBS) looked something more of a well made application.
3. I guess I need some more dimensions in my resume. More of social service/ community membership in whacky clubs/ some weird hobbies/ etc to differentiate me and help my CV stand out from the crowd.

What next?
Spending the whole of last year researching different schools, writing so many essays all by myself, fine tuning my resume, etc I feel that I have a head start on the next year's application cycle. I am planning to apply to the maximum schools of my choice in R1. Let's see what happens!

Any comments are welcome.


What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!


I took a year and a half off work to make myself interesting and figure out what life meant to me. I also have a 760. Neither one helped. I will be reserving my spot soon.


I'd be shocked if you didnt get into atleast Marshall.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Posts: 107
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 172

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 06:37
Looks like most girls are successful applicants! :wink: Reserving my spot here until the end of March and joining the re-applicant pool for 2014.

Update: Final ding today and time to fill in this placeholder.

Age/Gender: 29 Indian Female
GMAT Score/GPA : 680 (got in Feb 2014, after submitting all my apps) - 7.03/10 (Top 5% of the class in non-IIT Indian Engineering school - NIT)
Work Experience: [industry/years]
    Product manager in a business research (HR and IT strategy research) firm advising CXOs in Fortune 500 firms in these domains
    7 years in Aug 2014 (3 years in DC and 4 years in India).
    Significant non-profit work experience on a pro-bono basis with non-profit consulting firms both in India and US along with leadership roles in these consulting projects
Location: Washington DC metro area
Schools applied to: UNC, Kelley, Ross, Kellogg
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] NO
#Interviews: UNC (dinged before GMAT score update) and Kellogg - Applicant initiated (dinged after updated GMAT)
#WL: None

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Kelley - I felt that this was my reach school along with UNC. Especially after my updated GMAT score, I was expecting an interview to make my case in person. I met the alumni, admission officer, attended various events and found that I really like their program and people, so not getting the opportunity was a big bummer.
Why the lack of success? My work experience is complex and diverse even among people within my company since I have moved teams and practices. Going from quant research to product management. My GMAT scores submitted with the applications were also trending downwards from an already low base (580 --> 570 :x )
What next? Re-application for class of 2017 with better essays that bring out what I can bring to the class i.e. my significant exposure to issues in the C-suite. This is not over.
_________________


-MBAJunkie


Last edited by MBAjunkie16 on 25 Mar 2014, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 18:26
gambelda wrote:
Assman wrote:
ankurq7 wrote:
Another addition to the zero admit club this year :x

Age/Gender: 26/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760
Work Experience: [industry/years] : Construction/ 3 years
Location: India
Schools applied to: MIT (R1), Stanford (R1), Harvard (R2), ISB (R2)
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes just for HBS - my last application this year
#Interviews: ISB only
#WL: None

Which ding hurt the most and why? -
1. MIT because I REALLY wanted to study there.. probably more than HBS or GSB. and because I applied in R1 I thought I had higher chances of getting in.
2. ISB because it was my safe school. And its admission procedure is such that it makes it really difficult for the adcom to reject someone over 750 GMAT. (which means I screwed up my interview BIG time)

Why the lack of success?
1. I probably thought that my high GMAT will make it easier to get into top B schools. MIT, GSB and HBS were probably too high for a mediocre CV like mine.
2. I didnt take the help of any consultants to help in preparing my CV/Essays/etc. Did it all by myself. Only my last application (which was for HBS) looked something more of a well made application.
3. I guess I need some more dimensions in my resume. More of social service/ community membership in whacky clubs/ some weird hobbies/ etc to differentiate me and help my CV stand out from the crowd.

What next?
Spending the whole of last year researching different schools, writing so many essays all by myself, fine tuning my resume, etc I feel that I have a head start on the next year's application cycle. I am planning to apply to the maximum schools of my choice in R1. Let's see what happens!

Any comments are welcome.


What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!


I took a year and a half off work to make myself interesting and figure out what life meant to me. I also have a 760. Neither one helped. I will be reserving my spot soon.


What exactly did you do for a year and half?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 66
Location: India
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 01:28
Assman wrote:

What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!


Does all that help? I mean traveling, etc. I am traveler. Have covered quite some parts of the country, but how do I use this as a leverage on the application?

PS: I am in the midst of giving my GMAT. But I get scared when I come across this thread. If people with such great profiles haven't gotten through, I don't have a chance in hell.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2013
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 06:07
coolredwine wrote:
Assman wrote:

What makes you think your high GMAT will get you in anywhere? It's something I really don't get with this forum - that there's such an emphasis on the GMAT for applications (GMAT forum...go figure!). I got 650 but if anyone thinks they can critically analyse a piece of information better than me, or communicate more effectively than me just because they have a better CR/SC score...they are seriously deluded. A high GMAT score means that you test well. It has no reflection on your intellect or academic ability!

What I recommend to you is to build yourself up...as a human, not as an applicant. Instead of spending the whole of next year on your applications, go learn a new skill. Bodybuild...travel...take drugs (have you ever tried opium?)...whatever...make yourself seem interesting. Don't do it for the sake of the application...do it for yourself!

Tendulker retired so you could probably get in to the Indian team now. Anyone is better than the bunch of morons you have now :lol:

Holla b!tches!!!


Does all that help? I mean traveling, etc. I am traveler. Have covered quite some parts of the country, but how do I use this as a leverage on the application?

PS: I am in the midst of giving my GMAT. But I get scared when I come across this thread. If people with such great profiles haven't gotten through, I don't have a chance in hell.


I see that you 'un-bolded' my advice for taking drugs...suit yourself :twisted:

re travel - I'm talking about travelling overseas. Go somewhere to experience a new culture and learn things you wouldn't learn at home. I hear Malaysian Airlines airfares are cheap...so now's the best time :|

And don't get put off by the monster GMAT scores that all these people post up. Watch this and you'll be fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

You're welcome!

Assman!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 66
Location: India
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 06:39
Assman wrote:
coolredwine wrote:
Does all that help? I mean traveling, etc. I am traveler. Have covered quite some parts of the country, but how do I use this as a leverage on the application?

PS: I am in the midst of giving my GMAT. But I get scared when I come across this thread. If people with such great profiles haven't gotten through, I don't have a chance in hell.


I see that you 'un-bolded' my advice for taking drugs...suit yourself :twisted:

re travel - I'm talking about travelling overseas. Go somewhere to experience a new culture and learn things you wouldn't learn at home. I hear Malaysian Airlines airfares are cheap...so now's the best time :|

And don't get put off by the monster GMAT scores that all these people post up. Watch this and you'll be fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

You're welcome!

Assman!


I don't think I can share my drug-taking experiences. I will definitely be chucked out. :lol: :oops:

Re travel: I have taken two solo overseas trips, 20 days each. Visited 3 countries. But I have no idea how to translate that into the application and how that would help.

Thanks for the video though. Will have a look.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 142
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 09:13
Age/Gender: 25/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 720/82%(Engineering from an Indian University, non IIT)
Work Experience: [industry/years] 3.75 yrs : Manufacturing/Product Design
Location: India
Schools applied to: R2: INSEAD
R1: Harvard, Sloan, Anderson
R2: Cornell, Duke, Tuck, Kellogg MMM
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] No
#Interviews: None

Optional:
What next? Now that's the golden question that I'm trying to figure out!

Whatever happens in the coming months will be a life changing experience for sure. I am convinced of my capabilities. It is my inability to convince the Adcom which has resulted in failure. No one knows how good one really is unless they push themselves to the limit. I thought I did, over the past 3 years. It took me 2.5 years and 2 attempts to finally reach 720. Following that up with 7 months of preparing applications, I felt I had given it my all. And now I realize that was just not good enough. Guess it is time to take a deep breath and go at it again! Only this time, I need to find out what mistakes I made the previous time and ensure I do not repeat them.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Sigh.
Joined: 19 Mar 2013
Posts: 245
Location: India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 18:08
Inching closer every passing day..

gonna be a looooong summer ahead.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 551
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 18:24
Expert's post
kaustubhkul wrote:
Inching closer every passing day..

gonna be a looooong summer ahead.


How'd you manage to fill out 14 applications?
Current Student
avatar
Status: Sigh.
Joined: 19 Mar 2013
Posts: 245
Location: India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 18:28
mgh234 wrote:

How'd you manage to fill out 14 applications?

Well, I basically had no life and no sleep for ~5 months. I think 2 of those applications were not completely sincere and with very less research, but the rest I put a lot of efforts into, a lot of heart. I had originally planned to apply "only" to 9 schools :P but Georgetown WL in R1 made me apply to even more.

Sigh.

Quick edit: I think it's 7 months, not 5. Plus the time for test taking.
Re: The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 18:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
48 Experts publish their posts in the topic The 2012-2013 Zero Admit Club kmcduw 56 14 Dec 2012, 17:37
3 The 2011-2012 Zero Admit Club PTK 16 19 Jan 2012, 12:06
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2011 Zero Admits kt780 4 29 Jun 2011, 02:35
The 2009 ZERO admits club DK 32 02 Mar 2009, 20:53
79 The 2008 ZERO admits club bsd_lover 80 03 Apr 2008, 19:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The 2013-2014 Zero Admit Club

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 36 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.