Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [84]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: The 700 Pledge [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks BB for creating this page. I think the most important is to stay motivated and obsessed about your goal unless you achieve it and never give up. I sign the pledge and I'm going to make this one of my default page whenever I open the browser. Kudos to you for this. Each and every point of the pledge means a lot. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Thankful to say I accomplished the goal...700! I'm thinking of retaking it as I think I'm capable of a higher score, but I'm happy!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [2]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you but you should toast to those who have completed this pledge and held steady. This pledge and testament is to hard work!

ankurgupta03 - 760
GandalfGrey - 700
knowh0w - student at LBS (GMAT unknown but who cares?)
nalin1 - 710
vaishnogmat - student at AGSM
vishnuns39620 - 750
berkeleygirl - 720
ashkul123 - 690 but got into HEC
anujkhatiwada - student at McDonough
akshaychaturvedi007 - 710 and admitted to ISB and Oxford
xhimi - 690 and Insead
jaspar - 730
usmabama - 700

Congrats and kudos for your hard work!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am planning to take GMAT in dec. I am committed to make my dream come true.

Originally posted by subioz on 05 Sep 2013, 19:50.
Last edited by subioz on 05 Sep 2013, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Schools: Katz '17
Send PM
Kudos
hell yeah! lets kick in the exams butt :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ESMT FT'16
GMAT 1: 420 Q32 V16
GMAT 2: 440 Q39 V14
Send PM
Kudos
This is going to be my second attempt in GMAT...I felt the guilt of not giving my 100% on the first attempt...

I am in ..I pledge to look for every possible way to make this dream come true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I am in.

I will become serious about GMAT cuz MBA is my dream
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
You rock bb.
You seriously know how to motivate others :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Wow great!!!...Sign me up!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I too am in and pledge to do my utmost to get my target GMAT score!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
That would be fantasic! Would you like to make this study group as a separate thread? I am new to this forum and I am still figuring my way here.

crackgmat2013 wrote:
THX BB.....

I am in .....
we can form a study group of candidates who are with "700pledge"
we can be in the flow of 700,can monitor each other to be on the track.
let me know if anyone interested.

ALL THE BEST........

bb wrote:

The 700 Pledge of a GMAT Test Taker

I have been asked many times by members who scored 600 after 3-4 attempts (often after years of preparation), two main questions: what should I do and why can’t I improve my score.

So here is my answer to all of those questions, PM’s and posts – if you are finding yourself not being able to improve, stuck, or lost, join me in taking this 700-pledge. I have to warn you, however, it involves a lot of hard work, it does not have shortcuts, and the consequence of breaking it are depression, inferiority, and apathy. Proceed only if you think you can handle it and only if your MBA dream is something you are very serious about.

I pledge to:

1. Align my priorities with goals and if I may have to make hard decision such as shift my study schedule to be before I go to work or before I go to work out, or instead of a Friday night poker game, I will do it.
  2. Keep track of my mistakes. I will maintain an error log for at least the questions I got wrong.
  3. Use the timer with every question and exercise
  4. Commit to building a study schedule.
  5. Ask myself every day if there is anything else that I can do to study/improve/answer/not make mistakes? Is there ANYTHING in this world that can help me? Is it memorizing all formulas? Is it memorizing the question? Is it learning some concepts that are not covered on the GMAT but are important for understanding (verbal or quant), is it stopping before every question and pausing for 5-10 seconds? is it studying at 5 AM? If any of these is yes, no matter how challenging or how painful, I commit to them because I wan to achieve my dream and
  6. Set my preparation at the highest priority (right with my health and family)
  7. Squash every doubt in my mind
  8. Create/write my own notes. I will never write in books - that's worthless. I will take any notes in a separate notebook so that I can remember better.
  9. Do what it takes. If I need to remember the whole book, I will write out the whole freaking book into notes and organize it so that I can memorize it and if it does not work the first time, I am ready to do it again.
  10. Not let GMAT rest. I will be obsessed with the GMAT, with critical reasoning, with identifying assumptions, with calculating speeds, etc.
  11. Get a 700+ score. I may get it easy or I may have to work hard for it. I realize that if I do not get the score I want, it does not mean I am stupid or hopeless or poor. It just means that I am lazy and GMAT was not my priority.
  12. Not take shortcuts in my prep and if I took shortcuts in my past in Quant or Verbal, I commit to undoing them
  13. Not leave a chapter/area/book/test until I can score above 90% of the questions within the time frame.
  14. Stand proud because I have and will do everything in my power to achieve my goal. Should I fall short of that score, I will still stand proud of my score because I have done everything in my power and I have not a single doubt in my mind that not a stone was left unturned and I have done my absolute best. I will have no regrets and no retakes.

If you agree to follow this pledge, please SIGN it publically so that there is no going back

- You can post a reply with your username.
- You can LIKE THIS PAGE on Facebook or on Google+ (see buttons above this post)
- You can Tweet it on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
I have got only a month for preparation.
I'm IN! :yes
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ESMT FT'16
GMAT 1: 420 Q32 V16
GMAT 2: 440 Q39 V14
Send PM
Kudos
I am in for the separate study group too ! :idea:

quote="shalmali20"]That would be fantasic! Would you like to make this study group as a separate thread? I am new to this forum and I am still figuring my way here.

crackgmat2013 wrote:
THX BB.....

I am in .....
we can form a study group of candidates who are with "700pledge"
we can be in the flow of 700,can monitor each other to be on the track.
let me know if anyone interested.

ALL THE BEST........

bb wrote:

I have been asked many times by members who scored 600 after 3-4 attempts (often after years of preparation), two main questions: what should I do and why can’t I improve my score.

So here is my answer to all of those questions, PM’s and posts – if you are finding yourself not being able to improve, stuck, or lost, join me in taking this 700-pledge. I have to warn you, however, it involves a lot of hard work, it does not have shortcuts, and the consequence of breaking it are depression, inferiority, and apathy. Proceed only if you think you can handle it and only if your MBA dream is something you are very serious about.

I pledge to:

1. Align my priorities with goals and if I may have to make hard decision such as shift my study schedule to be before I go to work or before I go to work out, or instead of a Friday night poker game, I will do it.
  2. Keep track of my mistakes. I will maintain an error log for at least the questions I got wrong.
  5. Ask myself every day if there is anything else that I can do to study/improve/answer/not make mistakes? Is there ANYTHING in this world that can help me? Is it memorizing all formulas? Is it memorizing the question? Is it learning some concepts that are not covered on the GMAT but are important for understanding (verbal or quant), is it stopping before every question and pausing for 5-10 seconds? is it studying at 5 AM? If any of these is yes, no matter how challenging or how painful, I commit to them because I wan to achieve my dream and
  8. Create/write my own notes. I will never write in books - that's worthless. I will take any notes in a separate notebook so that I can remember better.
  9. Do what it takes. If I need to remember the whole book, I will write out the whole freaking book into notes and organize it so that I can memorize it and if it does not work the first time, I am ready to do it again.
  10. Not let GMAT rest. I will be obsessed with the GMAT, with critical reasoning, with identifying assumptions, with calculating speeds, etc.
  11. Get a 700+ score. I may get it easy or I may have to work hard for it. I realize that if I do not get the score I want, it does not mean I am stupid or hopeless or poor. It just means that I am lazy and GMAT was not my priority.
  12. Not take shortcuts in my prep and if I took shortcuts in my past in Quant or Verbal, I commit to undoing them
  13. Not leave a chapter/area/book/test until I can score above 90% of the questions within the time frame.
  14. Stand proud because I have and will do everything in my power to achieve my goal. Should I fall short of that score, I will still stand proud of my score because I have done everything in my power and I have not a single doubt in my mind that not a stone was left unturned and I have done my absolute best. I will have no regrets and no retakes.

If you agree to follow this pledge, please SIGN it publically so that there is no going back

- You can LIKE THIS PAGE on Facebook or on Google+ (see buttons above this post)
- You can Tweet it on Twitter
[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I pledge to put in everything i can to achieve my target score. Here is what i intend to do/change in my day to day life:

1. Priorities - I realized that I've been putting in study sessions consistently but at the end of the day, when i am little tired from the day's work and my exercise. Really, i should put in the required effort before i go to work. So, that is something i will change from coming Monday. I also tend to skip my study sessions when another appealing opportunity to go out and drink comes my way :).
2. I am going to time each study session and sometimes each question. I've started doing so already and find interesting results about my preparation. Solving a bunch of questions is no big deal, but that cannot be said for solving the same questions timed.
3. I've started creating my own notes. I forget quant formulas that i do not use frequently and the only way to remember them is to write them down every other day or even daily. My notes will contain formulas from Manhattan GMAT guides, Gmatclub math book, Sandeep Gupta's Ivy-GMAT Quant Concepts book, and some old notes from friends.
4. Health - During my first attempt, i neglected my health and ballooned up to 98 kg. I am now at 90 and feel much better. I am exercising - weights and long distance running every other day now. I feel happy and alert. My consistency in all sections has gone up. I pledge to continue to do this lifelong.
5. I am going to attack my weaknesses. I solved only about 15 passages last time and i am sure i scored poorly in the verbal because of that reason. I also did not do enough practice full length tests. I lost stamina and focus while i was attempting the verbal section. This time, I am not letting all that happen again. I have started working on RC and CR seriously and have planned to take 8-9 full lengths before the actual one.
6. Not ignore my wife completely :). Guys, don't take this lightly. You ignore her for one day, then second day, then third day, and then she will make sure that you cannot ignore her the fourth day. By fifth day, you will be thinking more about how to keep her calm and peaceful and less about how to score high on the GMAT. So, my plan is to spend quality time, although less, with her EVERY single day. That could be just a cup of coffee in our balcony together. But yeah, don't tell her about this shhhh. Or i might not write the GMAT at all :))

That's all. Thanks BB for starting this thread. We all want to score high on this exam but sometimes forget these nitty gritties that can slow us down. Kudos to you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="bb"]

I pledge to:

- You can Tweet it on Twitter[/quot

I am in. I am taking the GMAT for the first time so this is a much welcome motivation. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I have been preparing GMAT for past one month. I noticed the following:
1. Be consistent and focus! Reduce your night outs and other stuff. Live, eat, and breath GMAT till the time you crack it.
2. GMAT is an exam that involves thinking so get yotur concepts right.
3. Practice and practice consistently
4. Stick to your schedule. This is sooooo tough esp for those who are working for long hours (indians). 25% of the battle is won once you are able to stick to the schedule
5. Know your mistakes and learn from them
6. Dont take the exam in an hurry. Read and practice till your confident.
7. Visit this site as much as possible.

I shall try to be more focussed and persistent and set my mind away from distractions. This could mean lesser tv and taking up lesser work load. I guess that's fine because its worth cracking this exam!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 610 Q51 V23
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I'll do whatever it takes.
GMAT Club Bot