Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ability of scientists to provide models of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: The ability of scientists [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 14:43
C - the only one where model is accurate ..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 22:58
C because of subject -verb agreement not B as ability used to increase or decrease not become more or less accurate.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

We are providing an example, "such as" is required.
C keeps the meaning. The models are acurate, not the ability.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1554 [0], given: 248

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:43
Expert's post
I do not know wheter this is the right place to put this. Anyway let me do it

Quote:
Metallicafan wrote in his profile

Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Wht a great thing; we are proud of you that we have such a dedicated member. I wish to see 3000, 4000, 5000 and so on. A great Kudo to you

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 09:49
nice one...wrongly chose B over C

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [3] , given: 24

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
Lets delve into the answer options. The important aspect of attacking a sentence correction problem is to eliminate the fluff. Additionally, if you are not sure about the use of idioms, then try to identify other errors in the sentence. Most SC question stems will contain multiple errors.

(A) The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

[color=#0000ff](A) The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

Let's us cut out the fluff first.........The ability of scientists<BLAH> <BLAH> <MORE BLAH>........have become more accurate
Ability is singular and Scientists is plural.
The sentence, as it is written, contains a subject-verb agreement error.

Singular subjects should use Singular verbs
Plural Subjects should use Plural Verbs

E.g: It is incorrect to say " We has a car". We is Plural and has is singular. Hence we can eliminate this option without delving into additional details.
Now you may ask, isnt the "have" in the above sentence , referring to scientists". The answer is a resounding "NO".

When trying to identify subjects in a sentence, look at nouns (name, place, thing) , but eliminate all subjects that occur within a prepositional phrase.
"of Scientists" is a prepositional phrase (Why ?because it starts with an "of" and "of" is a preposition) and IS NOT considered when matching subjects and Verb.

E.g : The number of students IS decreasing every year.
The sack of potatoes, IS quite heavy.

GMAT typically tries to obscure the verbs by inserting a lot of, for the lack of a better word, BLAH-BLAH :-) into the sentence
Lets rewrite the second sentence listed above in true GMAT style.

E.g: The sack of potatoes, which we plan to use for cooking many tasty dishes for tomorrow's wedding and for preparing french fries for the groom's parents, IS quite heavy. (phew, All that "BLAH BLAH" stuff to try and obscure the subject -verb agreement error from the GMAT TAKER. )

(B) The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate in providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, such as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

Hmmm.
This answer option gets rid of the Subject Verb agreement problem that we have just seen in Option 1.

Subject : The ability of scientist
Verb :Has

Grammatically, this sentence looks ok. However, lets look at the meaning a lil bit closer
The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate.....blah blah...................
This answer option implies that The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate.....Oh Oh. It is incorrect to say that the
ability of something has become more accurate. The right usage would be "The methods or models created by the Scientists have become more accurate....."

(C) Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.
Both the errors that we have identified in Options a) and b) are rectified here.

The use of .......such as in the fragment .......complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.... is a bit unorthodox. However this is not a deal breaker.

(D) Scientists have become ever more accurate in their ability for providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

This sentence rectifies the errors that we have seen in option (A), (B), (C).
The subject of this sentence is "Scientists "
The verb is "have"
Just when we think that we see the light at the end of the tunnel, we see the idiom :- for providing
Ok, this is wrong. The correct usage of this idiom is .......to provide.
There are some idioms that use infinitives and some that use "FOR"
Who decides these rules ? Well, these rules just evolve over time. There isnt a hard and fast rule to decide whether to use "to" or "FOR". It just depends...

E.g : I value your ability to bring in new thoughts.
The following uses are incorrect
E.g : I value your ability of bringing new thoughts
E.g : I value your ability for bringing in new thoughts.

An example of an idiom that uses "FROM"
E.g " The law prohibits any student from socializing with the teaching staff.

It would be incorrect to say " The law prohibits any student to socialize with the teaching staff.

This sentence has yet another error. The use of "like" when presenting examples is a NOT ALLOWED
E.g : I prefer games like football and tennis
E.g : I prefer games such as football and tennis.

"Like" is typically used to COMPARE NOUNS.
E.g : Like his father, John plays the piano.
E.g : John Plays the piano, like his father.

(E) Scientists' ability to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate.

Subject verb agreement issue.
Subject : Scientist's ability (Singular)
Verb : have (Plural)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF TIME AND EFFORT TO POST DETAILED ANSWERS. YOUR KUDOS IS APPRECIATED.
KUDOS DOESN'T COST YOU A DIME, BUT GIVING A KUDOS IS A GOOD WAY OF ENCOURAGING THE RECIPIENT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by hafizkarim on 16 Jul 2012, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 22:28
The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

(A) The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

(B) The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate in providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, such as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

(C) Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

(D) Scientists have become ever more accurate in their ability for providing models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions.

(E) Scientists' ability to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate.

We can straightaway cut A,B and D because of idiomatic error.

Between C and E,

E has a parallelism error, by using scientist's ability........have become.

Hence, by using P.O.E....answer is C!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:08
Got it wrong after 2 mins! :(

"Become able to " I thought was wordy so didn't read c further!!

Could some1 please tell me how to prioritize? I mean I took wordy and just rejected c! But here wOrdy is apparently ok.

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Is the construction of the sentence correct? Opinions requir [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 04:39
Guys,

Regarding this question even though I thought that ans choice c could be ans on first glance I took some time to confirm it as the ans by POE. On a general note the construction " Scientists have become able to" didn't seem correct to me and it was wordy too. Please share your opinions about the construction. Do you think the construction is grammatically right/correct. This construction is the reason why I had to use POE (taking more time) to confirm the ans.

Thanks,

haricit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 01:12
- Like should not be used to enumerate. Hence, eliminate A and D.
- It is more appropriate for models to be modified as accurate rather than ability. Eliminate B and E.

C is correct. Models are modified as accurate and "such as" is used to enumerate.

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 05:56
accurate is not an adjective associated with abilities, but with models.

Hence , correct answer is C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 08:14
bigoyal wrote:
The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere's complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

Please accompany your answers with your reasoning.

Source:GMATPrep

In option B, why is it wrong to say that the ability has become more accurate? The ability to do X has improved over time-is this wrong construction?

In sentence C, the meaning is change. It states that scientists have become able--means they were not able to provide models before.

So how is this option correct.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1240

Kudos [?]: 3422 [1] , given: 183

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jrashish wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

Please accompany your answers with your reasoning.

In option B, why is it wrong to say that the ability has become more accurate? The ability to do X has improved over time-is this wrong construction?

In sentence C, the meaning is change. It states that scientists have become able--means they were not able to provide models before.

So how is this option correct.

Dear @jrashish,

Thank you for posting your question. Let me ask you a few questions and see if these help you arrive at your answers:

Ashish's accuracy has improved.
Ashish is more accurate while solving SC questions than ever before.
Ashish is able to accurately solve more SC questions than ever before.
Ashish's ability to accurately solve more SC questions has improved.
Ashish's ability to solve more SC questions has become more accurate.

Which of the sentences do you think are correct?

I have answered the question above in the spoiler below:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
If your answer is all but last one, then you are correct. This is exactly what is happening with choice A. You can say that in choice A, the Subject Verb phrase do not make sense - "the ability has become more accurate" does not make sense.

Now coming to choice C. When the original sentence contains a meaning error, then we should select the choice that conveys the logical intended meaning. From the original sentence, the only thing that makes sense is that the ability to create more accurate models has improved and that is what choice C communicates.

I hope this addresses your question.

Regards,

Payal

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 06:54
bigoyal wrote:

If thorough meaning analysis is done , Choices A,B,D and E can be eliminated on the basis of meaning error. All these choices express that 'The ability has become more accurate' which is non-sensical because 'the ability' cannot become accurate;'The ability' of someone can improve to do something accurately.

Hence the correct choice is C, which communicates the meaning that makes sense.
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 06:54