Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: IESE'23
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 490 Q25 V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmospheres comple [#permalink]
EducationAisle can you please help with option B Vs C.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmospheres comple [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CRACKGMATNUT wrote:
EducationAisle can you please help with option B Vs C.

B says:

...ability...has become accurate...

That is not correct. "ability" cannot become accurate or inaccurate.

C fixes it by stating that models have become more accurate.

Also, bit of an idiomatic usage is also getting tested here. The correct idiom is "ability...to provide" and not "ability...in providing".

Lastly, since "in providing models.." is obviously intended to modify "ability", I would have liked the modifier to be closer to "ability" (the ability of scientists in providing models....).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
hi AjiteshArun..

the intent as per the original sentence is that the ability has become accurate. The text states clearly that 'the ability of scientists has become ever more accurate’

B maintains this intent intact, while C changes the intent blatantly by saying that ‘Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models”

I am still having a hard time eliminating option B. Is it the comma just before such as in option B that makes the construction in option B a lil weird?

Please help me understand this

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Adit
Hi aditliverpoolfc,

We need to look at all the 5 options and then take a call on what the sentence is trying to say. That is, it could be that only option E conveys the intended meaning (and none of the other options does). Very specifically, option A is not guaranteed to provide us the correct meaning, so we should not always try to ensure that the option that we mark is one that maintains the same meaning as option A.

If it helps, we could try checking what we'd think if what option A says were presented to us as, say, option F.

F. The ability of someone to do something have become more accurate. ← The verb is plural, and the meaning is incorrect. That is, can we say "her ability to score a 700 has become more accurate" or "his ability to identify difficult questions has become more accurate"?

If the answer is yes, that's fine. As in, we made a mistake, and that happens. We should not, however, trust what option A says blindly.

The good news is, of course, that if we take the right decision here, we can remove every option that says that the ability has become more accurate, including option B.

Hi AjiteshArun
I didn't really understand.
The ability of someone to do something cannot be more/less accurate is what we are trying to imply?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
singhall wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun
The ability of someone to do something cannot be more/less accurate is what we are trying to imply?

Hi singhall,

You've got it. It is the models that have become more accurate, not the scientists' ability to provide those models.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
singhall wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun

Hi singhall,

You've got it. It is the models that have become more accurate, not the scientists' ability to provide those models.

Hi AjiteshArun ,

In the time constrained environment of GMAT , for a non-native speaker (Specifically if I talk about me ) identifying the subtle difference b/w B and C is not that easy.
I took 3 mins to answer this question correctly during my mock .

The initial click "so as to say" the initial identification of error ie The ability has not become more accurate rather the models have didn't strike me in my first read.

Moreover, I have observed that I take more time in Rhetorical /Logical Predication questions. It becomes difficult to understand the intended meaning in such questions.

Please guide on how to improve ?

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Iwillget770 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun ,

In the time constrained environment of GMAT , for a non-native speaker (Specifically if I talk about me ) identifying the subtle difference b/w B and C is not that easy.
I took 3 mins to answer this question correctly during my mock .

The initial click "so as to say" the initial identification of error ie The ability has not become more accurate rather the models have didn't strike me in my first read.

Moreover, I have observed that I take more time in Rhetorical /Logical Predication questions. It becomes difficult to understand the intended meaning in such questions.

Please guide on how to improve ?

Regards

Hi Iwillget770,

It isn't easy, but we should continue to practice (and analyse) such questions. Some other points to consider:

1. "Non-native" isn't a very accurate indicator of either ability or potential.

2. Some questions may take more time. That's fine.

Meaning-based calls usually take more time. I think the best approach for most test takers is to take as many options out on the basis of other (reliable) calls before taking a meaning call.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate.

(A) The ability of scientists to provide models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions, have become ever more accurate. - Singular subject "ability" and plural verb" have" - wrong. There is also a meaning issue here; even if the verb had been "has," it would not have made the difference, as "ability" can't be more accurate. Either you are able or not able. I can't say you are accurately able or inaccurately able. Doesn't make sense. The usage of like to give examples is wrong. We need to use "such as."

(B) The ability of scientists has become ever more accurate in providing models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to changing conditions, such as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions. - wrong meaning, as explained in A. Also, the more acceptable idiomatic usage is "ability to." E.g., She has shown a remarkable ability to adapt to new situations.

(C) Scientists have become able to provide ever more accurate models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions. - It sounds a little weird, but as such, it is ok.

(D) Scientists have become ever more accurate in their ability for providing models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to changing conditions, like seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions. - correct usage is "ability to provide." And use "such as" to share examples.

(E) Scientists’ ability to provide models of the atmosphere’s complex responses to such changing conditions as seasonal and daily cycles or different planetary conjunctions have become ever more accurate. - same subject-verb issues. But even with correct, it doesn't make sense to say that ability has (if we use the correct verb) become more accurate.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts